Radical GT3 tire characteristics

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Stefan_L_01, Jan 7, 2018.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You are right. However, this is an official mod which is not free. AI should be adjusted so that their perfomance with different tires are consistent. Using AI to draw some basic conclusions with tires should be perfectly valid if the job had been properly done.

For T5 series old version, which was also a pay mod, the tbc would show the same grip values for both soft and hard compounds. I haven't checked latest version to see if this has been fixed.

I understand that those details should be reviewed more carefully. Some free mods do better.

Guimengo and Christos Segkounas like this.
  2. marmagas

marmagas Registered

Please some more infos on this!

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Simtek, ER have no problems with tires offline. I typically test before starting a championship how much different tires last when AI is driving. I cant remember AM since we never used for a champ.

Christos Segkounas and marmagas like this.
  4. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Don't use F1 as an examble.
    One's track ultrasoft is medium on another track.
    We now have only 3 generic compounds for all tracks.
    It's total normal that some will not operate well is some tracks.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Maybe you can suggest then a track where OP claims do not fulfill.
    A softer tire has more grip than a harder one. It justs heats and degrades faster.
    As you say F1 ultraconservative approach isn't a good example nowadays. IMO they should completely open tire selection among the whole range. Eveybody should start with the tire with which he qualifies. That way we would see that softest tire is the quickest at one lap. We could see different strategies for the race and F1 would be less boring than last 5 years.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Has anyone found the official GT3 tire compound manufacturing document yet? (If one should exist). Until we know what each tire is supposed to do this "Bug" is just a theory, or until Studio397 pipe up and tell us, I'm interested to know as I've not noticed much difference in the Bentley when using all three.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I searched but each series seem to be using different sponsors. Yokohama, Pirelli seem to be in most categories. Not all GT3 seem to be using the same sizes. IMO in order to have fair BOP all GT3 cats should use the same tire size. But FIA is clearly not interested in having fair races among the competitions they rule.

MarcG likes this.
  8. liakjim

liakjim Registered

I don't have the experience in rf2's content.
    But if I am allowed I will use a kunos example. If you take f1 car in Barcelona in a hot day, ultrasofts are slower than supersofts because of over heat even in a single lap. Same thing happens in Mugello in a GT3 car where mediums are faster.

9. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Is this true for one F1 team or all.
    Because here we are reporting the Radical failing to extract extra pace from the soft where the rest of the grid don't seem to suffer from it.
    Also there doesn't seem to be overheat over a single lap and we are not working in extreme conditions either.
    A driver can feel their tires overheating.
    I run the test with 20 degrees.
    Do you think if I re-run it using even lower temperatures it might make a difference?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess that you don't follow F1 preseason. It is precisely in Barcelona. During last days most obtained their fastest lap using ultrasoft.
    https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:pretemporada_de_Fórmula_1_2017

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

12. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Again, ultrasofts in Barcelona can be harder than softs in Monza .
    Same name, different compound.

It was a bug after all.
    No mistake on tyres just wrong selection.
    Not exactly what OP described but good catch.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Here you showed your knowledge!
    Ultrasoft tires are not used in Spain GP because they would be too soft and would destroy after few laps. I wish they did!!!
    What I linked is preseason tests times. That's the reason why they used them since they had to test the car for the whole season.

What you claim of tires compound to be different for same category n different tracks is absolutely false. You will not get a single reference for that.
    Pirelli decides which 3 of the 5 compounds are to be used in each GP.
    US SS S M H
    They are supposed to be the same throughout the season despite they might get some evolution for cost and reliability reasons.

As you can read, the claimed bug has been solved thanks to the OP reporting it and which you were trying to provide an absurd justification. Next time respect a little bit those who have taken effort to do tests before actually claiming something.

14. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Nope, compounds in f1 are not the same even if they share the same name.

And no, nothing absurd about what I said.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Please provide some reference for this. It's your word against Pirelli's

TheGame316 likes this.
  16. Christos Segkounas

Tires compounds at a GP are called "prime" and "option" where each term may refer to a different compound depending on track.
    But there's only one supersoft, one soft etc.
    So the prime on on track may be the soft and on another the supersoft.
    That may confuse people but Pirelli do not make a different supersoft for every track they take a supersoft to.

17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

please open a thread in "general discussion" to discuss about f1 and other OT.

Back to the bug: With the 1.995 something seems to have changed, the radical seems to be faster - but the bug remains, S9 and S7 (not tested S8) are equal fast, more or less.
    I found a good race track to test in Brianza Jr., very ease, kind of oval, straights long enough to keep tires temp cool.
    Saturated grip (const), 20Deg sunshine, default sets just exchange tire.
    S9/S7
    Bently: 47.6 / 47.03
    AMG: 47.83 / 47.25+
    Radical: 47.08 / 47.06

@Studio397 : thx for making the radical competetive now probably, but with the hard tire as fast as the soft (of the other cars..) it may be an overkill now...
    @christos: can you confirm?
    BR
    Stefan

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  18. Christos Segkounas

Useless at driving (let alone hotlapping) right now due to fatigue.
    But I have figured out an easy and reliable test to come to some useful conclusions.
    Will keep you posted.

19. Christos Segkounas

Cool, so I am stupid not to have thought of this earlier.
    The easiest and most reliable way to test these things would be to use SPASKI's test track.
    Aaaaaand it crashes RF2 with the GT3 pack.
    It works on other mods no prob, maybe he has a new version out or something but I didn't stick around to find out, not tonight at least.
    So back to Silverstone National.
    And rolling out the Merc first, everything works as intended.
    Then the Rad.
    Apparently on the Radical, all three slick tire selections in the setup menu point to the exact same compound, most likely the hard.
    I came to this conclusion after many runs checking tire wear.
    There's no soft compound there to be found.
    Actually, out of the 3 available compounds there seems to be only one actually offered on track.
    I have written down tire wear on all 4 tires on all runs, done with tire wear set to 5X.
    I will give some very rough numbers to give you an idea, the Merc finished with 24% less front left tire on the soft and had 14% wear on the hard.
    The Radical, regardless of compound choice ended up always with around 12% of it's front left tire gone.
    I will await people's thoughts on the validity of this testing and then report on Discord if needed.

20. Nicolas Pailhes

Nicolas Pailhes Registered

Here is my test with the radical on silverstone realroad fixed
    S7: 1: 58.957 min wear 94%
    S8: 1: 58.823 min. Wear 94%
    S9: 1: 58.500 min wear 93%

So the S9 are soft and hard S7
    You just have to change the name of the tires on radical