Rfactr has stopped working?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Jan 11, 2018.

1. me you

me you Registered

Ok- just started getting this- and not sure why- I can run the game fine, for as long as i like, but when I close out the game, a window pops up and says "Rfactor has stopped working" and 'check online for a solution' etc- not sure why- game launches fine, runs fine, no issues- any ideas? (I use a momo wheel- and basically just run everything stock- haven;t messed around with settings or resolution or anything-)

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Any plugins?

3. me you

me you Registered

Hello- no plugins- I did download a few mods= tracks/cars- but it didn't do what i described for like 3 days after- but now it is

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, can't find any clear answers from the past. Some things you may want to try (varying levels of positive reports or credibility):

- First just double check you don't have any extra plugins :p (plugins get shutdown on game exit, and if they try to 'clean up' something that never got initialized properly this crash happens - pretty common, and slightly more likely with the screen drawing stuff not being called anymore in dx11)
    - Find and install the latest DirectX
    - Verify your game files in steam
    - Plug your device into a different USB port
    - Tick 'Auto Close Launcher' in the Launcher settings; or untick it if you've ticked it
    - Rerun all the runtime installers (that's all 4 of them) in the Support\Runtimes folder
    - Remove your installed mods and see if it goes away - it may be related to one, or a combination of several
    - Uninstall and reinstall rF2
    - 'Exit' rF2 by rebooting your PC, every time.
    - Stop playing rF2

Note: Last 2 options not recommended :D

On the upside, it may not affect your rF2 experience at all. If the crash is happening after the game saves any settings you've made, the crash itself will probably be the only effect.

5. me you

me you Registered

lol i chose 'stop playing rfactor- j/k
    I'll give those a try tomorrow- tonight I played it and it didn't happen- something I'm doing might be causing it- maybe to do with the wheel (i usually plug it in before launching the game, but sometimes I forget- and plug it in after game panel from steam launches- I can't remember what i did tonight- so will try plugging in before game launches a couple times, then after game launches- but that's probably not it=- could be i guess- I'll know more tomorrow- I did note there are a few plugins that got installed automatically without my knowin it- hardware something or other was one- but i noted they are all off by default- I'll have to check and see if I'm clicking a keyboard shortcut and turning them on ingame- but I don't think so-

6. me you

me you Registered

it would appear that it has something to do with when i plug the wheel in- I've played the game several times now by plugging it in before the game starts, and it doesn't come up with the error- hopefully this will help someone else who might experience the problem in the future-

7. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I've had this happen to be also, you close the game and the thing pops up saying it stopped working. Only rarely happens to me though.

But more often it happens to me almost every time I switch cars, and has been happening forever even before Steam. Like, either if I switch between multiple cars/mods. Or if I come back to the menu from a race and switch cars then. Even with only official mods and no plugins installed it did it. After so many years, I've just grown to ignore it and reopen the game.

8. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

9. me you

me you Registered

Thanks Sl1de- I don't have it happen when switching cars- (I'm actually going through all the cars to make notes on which are fastest, stickiest, loosest, good brakes, bad brakes etc-) and just went through about 20 cars tonight (Loving the GTE series cars so far), and closed the game with no issue- I'll try running game tomorrow without plugging in the wheel first- just to see if that is the cause or not-

10. me you

me you Registered

thanks Kaitsu- I think I have found what is doing it- possibly- hopefully anyways

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SL1DE That's a much more serious error than the OPs, and definitely shouldn't be happening :confused: