Very dissapointed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miquel Ramos, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

Today I decided to test how simulates rF2 differences in temperature. Well, I am a iracing driver and in this one there are exaggerated differences in grip on track with some variation in temperature, that's a known issue in his tire model.

My big surprise is when I see that rF2 don't simulate anything. First if you select 20ºC ambient, you always have 20º on track, at least in not multiplayer sessions. Don't matter is clear or overcast, and that's impossible, track temperature in fact changes with radiation of sun, humidity, time of day, and obviously with cars on track but I know that's an advanced feature of real road in iRacing. Anyway track temperature would be a simple calculation with ambient temperature, state of sky and maybe humidity. I saw always same ambient temperature than track temperature

Well, but track temperature would be useless because rFactor 2 have always same grip, temperature it seems don't affect to grip on tires, so in my test I got same times with 20ºC overcast than 40ºC clear.

So I'm very dissapointed, rF2 has a very good tire model but if don't take account track temperature, is absolutely wrong. I like steps is doing rF2, but in my oppinion these questions should be a priority to improve that sim.

Sorry if I'm wrong, maybe it should do more tests, I don't play multiplayer usually

Nieubermesch, Raintyre and TJones like this.
  2. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Try it online, three laps minimum, and judge after, thank you.

3. XenoYparxi

XenoYparxi Registered

Temperatures (and wind speed) are currently locked to one value (for temperatures it's 25 or 29), so you'll feel no difference whatsoever. S397 are working on that, if I'm not mistaken

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    TJones likes this.
  4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Yes, the problem exists and it's already know by studio397.

5. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

It take account track temperature. You can feel when it changes even two degrees Celsius. But for now it didn't make difference between air and track temp.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

You are feeling placebo then. You can easily test with 0 and 60 degree track temperature and log telemetry data to see the impact on tire heat, it doesn't exist, professional drivers would have noticed if it did. Marcel is aware of this and has already said in some interview they'll look into temperatures at some point.

7. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Kind of embarrassing the most sophisticated tyre model out there bypassing the most important variable which affects any pneumatic.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

does pcars2 simulate this? Then it would be embarrassing lol

9. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

You may be confusing with track dynamic rubber. The air temperature affects the engine temp, but the track temp do nothing.

10. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Are you sure? It feels on ovals pretty well. Car behavior and laptimes changes with track temp in both ways. Dynamic rubber works only in one way.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It would for sure be nice to have a working track temperature. It is a slowly evolving variable that could be calculated every minute for saying something and it would for sure give and added value to the dynamic track. Wind would be also very welcome since it even more affects drivers greatly changing braking points. However this one would require a more dynamic approach and some visual reference (compass indicating wind speed and magnitude in the hud) for the driver apart from the speed he reaches the end of a straight.

They would make races more interesting.

SRGP likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Iracing your lap times can change +- 3seconds with 10-20 degrees temp swing,due to the effect on grip being 3-4x exaggerated,which is also a known problem.
    Also the weather there is random but static.
    You have to weigh the pros and cons,for money invested,it’s a well known thing that rf2 under Isi didn’t have any major development of their life span of ownership.
    But glad to say s397 are trying to rectify that,now iracing has had quite a bit of development over its life span,but most features when it comes to simulation don’t work as intended,take the dynamic track for instance,that only got working last year but was released years prior,and still isn’t correct.
    The tyre model is ass backwards when it comes to heat,your lap times are fastest when the tyres are cold,look at the new time attack feature,people are moaning that to be fast,you have to crawl around on the outlap at a snails pace,to avoid building heat into the tyres,now I don’t know about you,but for the money iracing has generated,that level of ass backwardsness is unacceptable.
    The list goes on,but I’m tired of my sim your sim sucks rocks,arguememts,so I’ll stop here

Sebastien Sestacq and bwana like this.
  13. bwana

bwana Registered

Still better than ice racing ( get the chains out ) where your out laps are your fastest . Rf2 is a WIP of just over a year for the new studio . IR For the $$ talk about disappointed ! but isn’t choice a great thing

Badboy, patchedupdemon and SPASKIS like this.
  14. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

" I know that's an advanced feature of real road in iRacing"

it's a joke? there's nothing more wrong than tire / track temperatures on iracing!!

[​IMG]

15. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

Guys forget iRacing, as I said tire model is wrong and weather is not dynamic, but at least difference on grip!! Talk only about rFactor 2 features. Seriously we can talk about "simulation" when in every different temperature condition, we have same grip and same behavior for the tires? And all of you are seriously talking about rF2 is developing when I bought it on 2012? You are fanboys, please ask for Studio 397 to work in these things and don't try to attack my oppinion.

Best tire model only works in same temperature always!! Menu when you select different weather conditions is a joke, weather plugin is a joke, only modifies visual conditions.

Marcel, you know this should be top priority to get the best sim on the market and get the most real simulation on Endurances races

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yes i agree that the amount of time rf2 has been on the market it shouldn't still be a WIP. but it is what it is....

and I'm sure S397 are going to try their best to improve rf2, and finally show what rf2 has been teasing us for years. No sim is perfect not one!

DaVeX and patchedupdemon like this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes it is something that would be good to have and hopefully Studio397 are working on implementation of this feature, but in future just FYI you lose all credibility of your opinion when you call people "fanboys", we are all fans of sim racing.

bluet, Badboy and SPASKIS like this.
  18. bwana

bwana Registered

Probably the title of your thread sets the tone of responses you get. I don’t see it as a major priority and am certainly not disappointed about rf2 as the track temp isn’t reflected in tire behaviour ( yet) . People contemplating buying /joining rf2 scroll the forums to see a Thread like this are dubious from first click. There a quite a few threads like this from new users of late , thankfully the majority or now ‘ Solved’ which showing that folks need to dig a little deeper into rf2 before posting their disappointment . As stated well know issue and don’t think that it’s being ignored just prioritised .

19. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

The title is very rigut, that is the feeling I had when I tested this question. For me, get same time driving a car with 10°C overcast than with 50°C clear is very dissapointing. Same dissapointing that race 24h Endurance races on iRacing with static weather conditions and same time of day. We love sims, we must ask these features like high priority

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

So.......you get disappointed by the temp not going up or down? THAT is what makes this whole sim disappointing for you?
    Even if you are not completely sure (at the time of writing)?