Track Effects Missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steven Luppino, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Steven Luppino

Steven Luppino Registered

Hi,

I know it seems a dumb question to ask when track effects will be reinstalled (or made customizable) in RF2 but I did'nt think it would hurt by asking if anyone had any news that or when they would.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

What do you mean exactly?

3. Steven Luppino

You know dust mostly on grass surfaces, how it can't be fixed for texture or properties like you can with RF1.

4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Do you mean editing the .tdf?

5. Coutie

Works for me, did you turn your effects off?

6. Steven Luppino

I heard it was hard coded so it couldn't be edited, and was hoping to find when they would be fixed if ever.,

7. Coutie

Well, it already works, so they can't really fix it.

8. Steven Luppino

Not for me it doesn't. It never did. You edit the settings for it in the tdf file and the dust cloud always is the same. You can even change the name of the texture map for it and it will still load the same one onto the track.

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  9. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I think Steven means the change to soft particles. Since then you can't change particle effects like dust or spray. (but I might be wrong)

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  10. Steven Luppino

It's stuck on the same settings. Anything you change in the tdf file for "reaction=dust" and put on any terrain, it will always show up exactly like it did before. Not like with RF1, you could even turn the dust purple, like the song! With this one your'e stuck with the same "icing sugar" like image you might see on a cake. Or a strip of cocain.

11. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Yeah this is not working in rF2. I really hope they add way to change this. With DX11 effects we could get awesome sparks from old F1 mods.

Check at 0:53

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Rui Santos and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  12. Steven Luppino

That would be awsome too. I wish someone would come out with news about the whereabouts of all these I find absolute must haves in a sim.

13. fab06

fab06 Registered

i hope they let us also edit sandbox "friction force" for each track TDF file ; for the moment the Sandbox won't slow down nothing ..

McFlex, Emery and Pauli Partanen like this.
  14. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

As part of our ongoing improvements of the DX11 graphics engine we have planned some research into improvements of the "particle engine" that could solve some of the requests made above. It's too early days to either promise exactly what, or exactly when this will be done but we are definitely aware that we can still improve. Feel free to provide examples (from other games) of the effects you like and are looking for here.

Lenniepen, stonec, Guimengo and 6 others like this.
  15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Over the years the biggest missing effects often requested is: Sparks (from the undertray).

One my personal faves from ISI days was the "Flow" of smoke/dust over vehicles, it was working via a player.json entry a long time ago and looked pretty decent in game. But then it stopped working in a build (ISI build that is) and never worked again, would be great to have that back in a more advanced state as it is odd to see cars drive through tire smoke and it remains static in the air.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One of the ISI based sims had sparks... GTR2 maybe. I remember if we screwed up the locations, the sparks would appear several feet in front of the car and then flow through the vehicle. Maybe F12000. (actually they weren't really sparks but just a series of randomly pathed little straight lines.)

17. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I'm with Marc on this, would be good to see rain spray, tyre smoke and the like flowing over following vehicles... I notice the player.json file still has settings in there for this, would be good to see this come to life. Things like dirt/dust and oil sticking to windscreens would be good too.

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Sparks are being asked for long time now, rF1 had a basic one, but it worked, i guess with DX11 it won't be much difficult to implement this...

19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

In endurance racing there are often puffs of smoke when cars bottoming out. I would love to see this aswell. Apart from all that has been said already.