[WIP] F1 1986

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Dec 5, 2017.

1. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Seriously amazing, especially in this short amount of time... If we are getting the grid boy oh boy i can't wait for the McLaren.

On a seperate note, in the brabhams cockpit view you can see the decals on the "windscreen" from inside. not sure if that was the case in real life but if it was they would have been a little more harder to see. [​IMG]
    Just something that i thought looked odd in the video and screenshots. if the way you have done it is the way it was then i have no problems. Just merely me being a bit confused :)

pascom and rubennaatje like this.
  2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Low Poly is perfect for my VR RF2 world. TIA - now I know why I donated.... ;-)

Mauro and Pauli Partanen like this.
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Lovely progress! The front of the Ferrari looks a little short and bulky judging by race photos, but not too much. It will be absolutely crazy when you get around to the 98T :eek::cool:

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  4. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

5. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

6. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Unreal... Some quality mods don't even come close haha, Springfields and Studio 397's modding police officer is at it again...

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  7. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

slowly it takes shape....

[​IMG]

pascom, woochoo, adamfarmer and 10 others like this.
  8. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Release will be this week for BT55 ;)

I used Quali tires and quali engine. AI used hard tires and normal engine, so its much slower than me

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    pascom, DaveS78, adamfarmer and 9 others like this.
  9. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Good driving, Postipate. Scary track with that BT55 and VR ;-)

10. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

This is a blast. Looking forward to release.

11. Pauli Partanen

Scratch made BT55 (F1 1986) from Postipate and Chief Wiggum for rF2

DOWNLOAD AT:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1258805397

Donate to Postipate and Chief Wiggum if you like our work.
    Paypal link: https://www.paypal.me/postiandchief

picture (2).jpg

FORGET ANYTHING AFTER, THE 1986 TURBO CARS REALLY WERE ROCKETS,
    AND TO HANDLE THEM I REALLY THINK YOU HAD TO BE A MAN.
    — GERHARD BERGER

The Formula One cars of 1986 are the most powerful Grand Prix cars to ever have raced (and maybe never be?).
    There were still no limits on engine power.
    Most powerfull engine was BMW M12/13 1.5 litre single turbocharged straight-4 engine used by the Benetton, Brabham and Arrows teams.
    Brabham had the least power from the these cars (Boost of around 4.9 in quali when others were getting around 5.5-5.7 bar boost), as
    BMW designed a special version of their four-cylinder turbocharged engine with the engine block tilted almost horizontally (18° from horizontal) to reduce drag from car body.
    However, the tilted over engine and specially designed gearbox also produced many reliability problems including oil surge
    and a lack of throttle response that only compounded the already poor response of the BMW turbo (four cylinder turbos generally suffered more 'turbo lag' as a result of only using a single turbocharger,
    while V6 and V8 engines used twin turbos and suffered less lag)
    Car had less drag than any other teams that year, but huge rear wings on that era slowed down all the powerfull cars very much (highest top speed was 351 km/h from Benetton)
    FIA limited fuel for 195 litres on that season, so you have to save fuel if you are planning to finish some races. Saving fuel is easy with the Boost controller (map it to your wheel!!)

THEN ON TOP OF IT YOU HAD THE QUALIFYING. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER BACK THEN, YOU HAD A QUALIFYING LAP, WITH QUALIFYING TURBO, WITH QUALIFYING TIRES.
    YOU WOULD COME TO THE MORNING TO PRACTICE, BUT ALL YOU COULD PRACTICE WITH WAS A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF BOOST,
    YOU WOULD HAVE ABOUT 900 OR 1,000 HORSEPOWER, BUT IN THE AFTERNOON YOU WOULD HAVE AROUND 1,400 HORSEPOWER.
    SO IN THE AFTERNOON YOU HAD A DIFFERENT GEARBOX, BECAUSE OVER LUNCHTIME THEY WOULD CHANGE THE GEARS,
    AND THEN YOU WOULD PUT ON ONE OF THOSE ONE LAP SPECIAL TIRES AND YOU WOULD GO OUT WITH ALL THAT EXTRA POWER AND THEN THE WHOLE LAP WAS A COMPLETE COMPROMISE,
    BECAUSE ALL YOUR BRAKING POINTS WERE AT DIFFERENT POINTS BECAUSE OF THE EXTRA POWER AND SPEED.
    AND OF COURSE OFTEN THEY WOULD CHANGE THE BRAKES AS WELL, SO YOU JUST HAD TO REACT ALL THE TIME TO THE CHANGING SITUATION. AT THE END, WHOEVER DID THE BEST COMPROMISE WAS AHEAD.
    BUT IT WAS A VERY SPECIAL ERA AND VERY VERY EXCITING FOR THE DRIVER AND FOR SURE YOU NEEDED BIG BALLS.
    — GERHARD BERGER

Tips:
    - TURBO LAG! Keep eye on boost gauge. This car has very bad thorttle response.
    - problems with rear end of car? Give more rear wing
    - In tuning menu you can change between Qualification and race car. Notice that Qualification car is good only for few laps. Take in and out lap very slowly.
    - You can set visor option in tuning menu!
    - Use high rubber settings on tracks, or let 10 AI race for 40 laps before driving. This will make huge difference with handling of car.
    - If the engine runs too hot, use more radiator or less boost setting.
    - Map boost controller to your wheel. Car uses lot of fuel, so you cannot use full boost on every race.
    - When you starting to get full boost, easy of from thorttle if you are middle of corner. You will easily loose control if you are not paying attention.
    - Car has 4 race tires (wet/soft/medium/hard) Use the quali tires only in qualifying
    - Map brake bias to you wheel. Set it more to rear if you are losing control under braking.
    - This car is very very different to drive than anything else. So you will need lot of time to adjust your driving style to this car
    - This car has understeer, so you have to change your driving style too! (you can make less underteering with more front wing, but notice you will loose control when boost kicks in easily if you are not careful)
    - AI don't understand Quali engine or tire strategy. So use HARD tires on races and race engine on quali if you are driving against it. Also AI has sometimes hard time with the turbo lag. Changing the style of driving for AI would need tweaking the game code, so I cannot help with that.
    - fine tune gear for each track!! Very important on slow tracks to get boost when needed
    - ENJOY!!

THE CAR WAS LIKE A BOMB AT CIRCUITS LIKE SPA, AUSTRIA AND MONZA.
    AND THE POWER WAS UNBELIEVABLE — EVEN IF THE TURBO DELAY WAS TERRIBLE. YOU’D OPEN THE THROTTLE AT THE ENTRY TO THE CORNER ONLY TO GET THE POWER AT THE EXIT.
    AND IF YOU MISSED IT BY FIVE OR 10 METRES, THERE WAS NOTHING YOU COULD DO — YOU JUST SPUN IT.
    THE LAG WAS ABOUT ONE OR TWO SECONDS. AT ZELTWEG, DOWN THE LONG STRAIGHT TO THE BOSCH KURVE,
    THE CAR WAS THROWING OUT 1400 HORSEPOWER AND JUST KEPT ON PUSHING — YOU FELT LIKE YOU WERE SITTING ON A ROCKET.
    — GERHARD BERGER

Donate to Postipate and Chief Wiggum if you like our work.
    Paypal link: https://www.paypal.me/postiandchief

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  12. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Registered

What a car! I love 80s turbo F1...the more mods the better. A couple of things:The turbo doesn't come in till about11000 rpm... you can actually drive around quite sedately outside of the boost by shifting up early. Maybe some build up in the boost before the bomb drop at 11K would be more realistic. The dash taco reads about 800rpm above the hud rev counter...doesn't really matter as I only use the car's dash readouts anyway, but it is there for those who use huds. Those mirrors! lol. Great job as always you two. Looking forward to some of the other 86 cars.

bwana likes this.
  13. bwana

bwana Registered

Just turning pc on now to download !! Thanks so much !

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  14. Pauli Partanen

15. Magus

Magus Registered

Thanks just had a test run and awesome job!!

I couldn't get the side mirrors to move around in VR to get them to see anything useful from behind, is this a known issue or is it me being :confused: ?

16. Pauli Partanen

You talking the mirrors don't move while you move your head or the mirrors don't move at all when you try to tweak them? I suggest to use virtual mirrors anyway. rF2 mirrors look quite bad in VR when compared to even Live For Speed..

17. Magus

Magus Registered

They don't move when I try to tweak them. In VR I like to play as if I'm there, so no HUD or anything that would break the immersion, only Crew Chief to guide me with no on screen aids.​

Seven Smiles likes this.
  18. Pauli Partanen

Works for me when I press shift+seat positions

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Magus likes this.
  19. philrob

philrob Registered

Great work guys, drives really well, even around the bumpy, twisty Cystal Palace.

20. Pauli Partanen