Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

Which hud do you thing are in this video? Is on the top of the screem, I think better than down.

I ask him but only anwser at the moment that is standar hud, no the name.

2. EternalRage

EternalRage Registered

So pretend I just opened my Rift box and want to race ASAP. Would anybody be willing to give a step by step introduction on all the little things that must be done, to get this puppy up and running? So far I've gotten some mixed messages on turning this or that program on/off after this or that program, and then doing this and then that, etc.

Is the scaling correct? Should I just say eff it, and buy Pcars 2 until this VR gets sorted out? I've already got AC, maybe that'll do. I'll do it with a frown however. As I'd rather be VRing in RF2.

3. Magus

Magus Registered

Plug in your rift and sensors, install Oculus Home, run the configuration software. Install Steam VR, run the configuration software. Close Steam VR. Close Oculus Home. Open rF2 launcher, in video settings select VR: HMD only and set AA depending on your hardware. NOTE: Prior to launching rF2, select super sampling/pixel density using either;
    Steam VR-Settings - Developer - Super sampling or
    Oculus Tray Tool - Game Settings - Super Sampling
    (note: values do not correspond to the same Steam VR = Oculus Super Sampling² ) Tbh, you won't know what to set it at till you test the game and see what your hardware is capable of. If you have a low end system you may want to use Oculus tray tool and force ASW mode at 45fps for the smoothest experience.

Anyway, with Steam VR c;losed, Oculus Home closed, rF2 Launcher open, launch the game & rf2 will open both Steam VR & Oculus Home as it boots. I think the default key for centring the screen is back space but you may want to map this on your wheel/button box in case your view fluctuates mid-game or you just load into a game with the headset pointing in the wrong direction.

4. EternalRage

EternalRage Registered

Thank you.

5. JParra

JParra Registered

Well, as it seems that what I'm trying is not possible or is not known, I've tried one of the biggest nonsense that has occurred to me, capturing the Oculus lenses with my mobile camera ...

Result? Nothing conclusive, but here I leave it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxsZC2A31ueUgsvNL5k8i-LhU0_s2Ia5/view?usp=sharing

To finish and since I can not make a decision by myself, I would like to ask you directly what is the maximum Supesampling for rFactor 2 that you consider adequate, since for example I hardly notice difference between 1.6 and 1.8 or 2.0.

Or asked in another way. To know that SS no longer shows improvement in quality?

With my team I can run with those three values, but at higher, some less graphic detail.

Thank you all.

Ernesto Romero likes this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Use settings that you find good, VR is different from a monitor as our eyes are much closer to the 'screen' therefore there can be more discrepancy in people's opinions. You can take people's advice of course but it really is more of a personal choice, once you find settings you like then you can get on and enjoy the experience.

7. JParra

JParra Registered

Thanks for answering.

That point I have clear. I usually use SS 1.6 with satisfactory results in online competition with about 15 adversary pilots, having AA in 3, no "post effect", all the details in high except detail of the opponents in middle, the shadows in low and the shadow blur disabled.

My intention was to obtain a comparative more "technical" than the own perception to determine from which SS does not appreciate the improvement of quality and from there to configure the rest of the parameters to achieve the adequate fluidity.

If this is not possible, I would like to know in general that SS uses people in rFactor 2 with similar equipment.

i7, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080 in Windows 7.

Thanks again and excuse my insistence. If I see that what I'm trying is not "technically" viable, I'll let it run and I'll continue to trust my feelings.

Ernesto Romero likes this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

I think vr is all about feelings, I would find my comfort zone and enjoy it.

MarcG likes this.
  9. JParra

JParra Registered

Thank you, it's what I'm doing, they're just hobbies to look for the perfect.

10. lockzar

lockzar Registered

Hey there,

Havent played Rf2 for a while, but few months ago everything was fine, at almost everything maxed out beside track details ...

I hate reprojection, all i want first is a smooth 90fps in VR over nice graphics.

I came back right before last update and its just ... horrible, constant reprojection. I even fomatted my PC, reinstalled Win10, still the same.

Just a quick message after being frustraed trying to mess with setting (graphics settings at low or ultra give the same), ill explain later in details if needed :(

11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes its basically unplayable in VR now for me as well. I had it set up pretty good, but this build ruined it. I guess we have to wait until it hopefully gets better.

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Interesting... I notice no degradation in performance with new build (1109). (I presume 1109 is the build you are talking about.) Maybe you had your setup closer to the ragged edge than me so you see a hit. Maybe I had some head room... just brainstorming here.

Note that Lockzar says he had drop off in performance before update. Lockzar, maybe take a chance on newest build?

13. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I tried lowering settings, lowering VR ss to 0, deleting cbash and shaders, reinstalling RF2, forcing to 45 fps in tray tool. But it runs pretty bad in normal weather - and is a slide show in the rain. i5 6600k and GTX1070.

14. lockzar

lockzar Registered

i just tried yesterday and today, same.

2-3 Months ago it was butter smooth with rly high settings (except track details) and even a good amount of SS, now no matter what, its reprojecting on most part of tracks (even the optimised ones, like Silv, not demanding at all).

Only thing that changed on my hand was the last windows update "fall creator" that seems like some ppl having trouble with.

Thats why i did format and try on a fresh install.

But yesterday when ive seen the last patch notes, i saw this ;
    • "IBLA : This new system uses new ambient probes that have been added to most of the tracks. It is recomputed dynamically as weather or time conditions change.
    • IBLA does not introduce any noticeable performance penalties and its features have been exposed to Mod Dev"

So now im wondering, have they tried in VR ?

Could i i get the name of a track that didnt get affected by this so i can test myself ? (prolly could just try on a modded/third party one)

(Edit ; i7 6700K & 1080Ti)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  15. Depco

Depco Registered

The fall creators update for Windows added a dx layer between the cpu and GPU communication which may be adding latency.

I watched the video last night, and in the comments someone suggested to right click on the executable and then going to properties, compatibility, and then check "disable full screen optimizations. I did this to both my steam.exe and rF2.exe.

After doing that and reducing most of the effects and eye candy to medium, driving in the rain became playable at a solid 45 frames per second. R9 290 and AMD FX-5820 OC @ 4GHz. Oculus rift.

Almost forgot , I also disabled steamvr beta in the steamvr settings. That seemed to help quite a bit as well.

16. lockzar

lockzar Registered

"solid 45 frames" asw :D

89 Frames arent enought for me with the Vive, i had a solid 90 before ^^

The problem is everything was smooth before, something definetly happened.

I did turn off the refresh frequency of win10 monitoring, in the task manager, not sure if it helps tho :(

17. stonec

stonec Registered

IBLA does not consume any FPS basically. I have benchmarked every build and the December build is the first since July that brought a performance improvement and also the first build that is performing on level with DX9 (see my post here). Wet weather is a different story, but dry weather performance has increased by 7-10% and should apply for VR as well.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  18. lockzar

lockzar Registered

Win10 updated ?

And since for me its basicaly the same everything maxed out or at lowest settings, could be not related the FPS directly. Idk ...

19. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Matsusaka with 15 AI
    Nords Tourist Autumn 2.0 15 AI

Note, I must keep shadows on low or off. And I haven't run in the rain.

Edit: Just as I post this Steam started doing a big download of rF2 stuff before i can play the sim. So maybe my "latest" isn't the latest. It did a big DL and install yesterday too so you'd think it would be done. But no...

20. lockzar

lockzar Registered

Matsusaka is my fav track on RF2 -_-

The one im using for testing, some tracks are rly demanding/not optimised, hard to not go below 90 at some parts, especially modded tracks.

And some rly optimised ones like Sylv, Suzuka was in between and good for testing for me. I remember playing with everything maxed out even shadows, except track details at medium, or even low when i had to play at night time + inside mirrors.

It wa so smooth ... not anymore, not at all -_-