3DS MAX RFACTOR 2 TRACK INVISIBLE AFTER EXPORT

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Termite, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Termite

Termite Registered

Hello, I sure hope someone can help, I have tried just about everything, but seems like I'm just spinning my wheels.
    I have an Rfactor 2 track in 3ds max 2012. I converted from 3dsimed to fbx loaded in max, I have reworked some parts of the track, I have setup the realroad materials and applied them to the surface. It renders fine in max and can be seen, But in 3dsimed, GJed and devmode its invisible. Its when I export just the gmt that I worked on into the GMT folder and or course it replaces the original, That part of the track is invisible. If I drive to that point the car just falls to nowhere and sets me back to the pits(starting point). I can copy and paste the original back and it works. Can you export just one gmt to an existing track? Even if I try to place something new like a box in the scene, upon export 3ds max locks up. here are my export settings. I have checked the SCN and Terrain files they seem fine, Should I have to change something in one or both of them? All names appear to be ok, although I've not changed any.
    upload_2017-12-18_19-57-49.png

2. Termite

Termite Registered

I'm sorry forgot to say Thanks for any help.

3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Bit of a strange one.
    After exporting does that track piece load in 3dsimed?
    Are your objects editable poly or mesh? They should be poly to export.

4. Termite

Termite Registered

Yes that single gmt loads in 3dsimed, but with no material its a blue color only, but it does load. If I load the whole scene track and all, the track is invisible. And I'm not sure about poly or mesh, I'll check that and get back to you, Hey thanks for the help I really appreciate it. And the fast reply. I will check back tomorrow. Thanks again.

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Check the colour and alpha of the verts in max also. Colour should be white alpha 100

6. Termite

Termite Registered

Hey Nibiru, I highlight all and convert to poly, Still the same, and verts are white alpha 100, Here is a screen shot of the section I exported from max, see how that section of the track just vanishes

upload_2017-12-19_19-46-56.png

7. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Are the normals flipped?

adamfarmer likes this.
  8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Still not sure...I'm thinking it's a material issue. Can you load a good piece of road into 3dsimed in one scene and load the bad piece in another. Check the material settings between the 2 are the same.
    Copy the material from the good and paste onto the bad (does it change?)
    The reason the whole track disappears I'd say is the scn has the bad piece of road loaded first so it then gives all the other road pieces the same material settings. What happens when you move another good piece of road to the top of the road entries in the scn?

9. toebee

toebee Registered

Can you export other gmt's ok? If not it could be a scaling/position problem. Like the new gmt is in the scene but it is to small or in the wrong place. Just spitballing...

10. Termite

Termite Registered

Ok, Thanks for your time and help guys, below are the snips of a bad and good section in 3dsimed, The only difference I see is in channel 7, other than the Fresnel Specular and Fresnel Reflect and other attributes, Could that have something to do with it? If so how where do I change in max. The track is divided into 5 sections, the only section(s) that mess up are the ones I export from max, In other words if I export racesurface_1 all other parts of the track are ok. I can copy the original back and all is ok.

Please be patient with me as I'm just learning max, I tried a few years ago but gave up, and now back at it again trying:)

GOOD SECTION
    upload_2017-12-20_21-6-53.png upload_2017-12-20_21-6-53.png

upload_2017-12-20_21-10-9.png

BAD SECTION

upload_2017-12-20_21-11-44.png upload_2017-12-20_21-12-7.png

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Did you try this good advice?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Nibiru likes this.
  12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

If my advice above doesn't work it could be what toebee has said.
    Load the whole track with the bad piece of road into 3dsimed.
    Go to the edit tab > Selection / object by name and select racesurface_1 (or whatever the bad piece is called)
    That should bring the object into view (you may have to scroll in) can you see it? can you move it to the correct place? is it the right size?

13. toebee

toebee Registered

After reading though this again I am almost certain its a position/scale issue. If it was a material issue I don't think you would fall through the track. You would merely slide around uncontrollably on it. I noticed in the OP you stated you imported the track piece via fbx to 3ds max. You must make sure your units are set correctly in max before importing. Off the top of my head I believe it needs to be set as a 1:1 ratio of meters. Most likely yours is set to feet, inches, millimeters, or something else.

14. Termite

Termite Registered

Ok, I think I set meters in max before I imported any parts, It's set now to meters and has been for a while. How do I check the ratio and scale to know it's right now? Start over from scratch? And how do I copy material from good to bad as instructed above? Sorry for not knowing, If I were half as smart as you guys, I would be on top of the world. I won't be bothering you all.
    Here's a shot choosing by name racesurface_05 in edit mode track can't be found it's invisible. I don't know what that's saying about the scale 1.0 though.
    upload_2017-12-21_20-44-15.png

And here a shot of the good imported, You can see track and material. BTW how do I import 2 of the same scene one good and one bad in 3dsimed?
    upload_2017-12-21_20-50-28.png
    And A big thanks again for your time and help.

15. Termite

Termite Registered

Just discovered something, The material is missing If I right click on the invisible part of the imported whole track the road material is NOT there. I can't select ROADACONC_WET it's not there to select or to hide. I still need to know how to copy good material into the bad.

16. Termite

Termite Registered

Which should I chose here or does it matter? This is just lighting right? I've been choosing Adopt

upload_2017-12-21_21-12-58.png

upload_2017-12-21_21-15-52.png

17. Termite

Termite Registered

This is also in the tdf file. What is this HATFilterMaxOffset=0.007?
    [TRACKVARS]
    RoadDryGrip=1.0
    RoadWetGrip=0.85
    RoadmetalGrip=0.80
    RoadDustGrip=0.90
    RoadBumpAmp=0.001
    RoadBumpLen=3.0
    RumbleDryGrip=0.96
    RumbleWetGrip=0.60
    RumbleBumpAmp=0.001
    RumbleBumpLen=3.0
    HATFilterMaxOffset=0.007

/////////////////////////////////////////////Roads/////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Roads
    [FEEDBACK]
    Wear=1.00 Dry=1.00 Wet=0.84 Resistance=0.0 BumpAmp=RoadBumpAmp BumpWavelen=RoadBumpLen Legal=true Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.4 Sparks=1 Scraping=1 Sound=dry
    Reaction=tiresmoke Tex=smokewhite.tga Max=1024 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
    Reaction=skid Tex=skidhard.tga Max=2500 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
    Reaction=wetskid Tex=skidwet.tga Max=1024 Duration=0.40 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
    Reaction=spray Tex=rainspray.tga Max=1024 Scale=(0.3,0.05,0.6) Growth=(0.3,0.3,0.6) GrowthVel=(0.08,0.09,0.30) Power=0.41 RampSpeed=80.0 OffsetVel=0.10 ASDEnvelope=(0.05,0.07,0.90) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
    Materials=roada

18. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

There is a new issue that you will get now. The new real road shader has an extra texture and 3dsimed doesnt have it.
    In 3dsimed in the material editor 2nd row of tabs in the middle you have copy and paste material.

19. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Another thought in max is your material a multi/sub then the road material as gmotor?

20. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

If you have the track in 3ds max, there is no need to use 3D SimED or other tools. You should able to export all valid meshes from max to the game without issues, assuming that your gMotor material settings are correct, material is applied to the mesh, contains correct material ID and valid mapping coords.

Sometimes FBX import / export causes issues. For example, mesh can look good in viewport but after exporting it, physical location of mesh (gmt) can be very far away in game (even several hundred meters away). This is pretty rare situation, but it happens time to time (at least it has happen to me... ;) ).

Does this track part show up correctly in 3ds max viewport? Are mesh normals pointing up?

If it does, you might try following (in 3ds max):

Select "faulty" mesh, make sure it has correct name (RaceSurface_01 in your case, I believe), apply "Reset xForm" on it, conver to Editable Poly, re-export and check it its visible in game.

If still no-go, double-check scn file that mesh is populated there correctly. Use search function instead of browsing the file and make sure this mesh is not commented out ("//").

If scn file is good, then save this faulty mesh into separate max file. Export this single mesh, generate appropriate scn file and check end result in track viewer. If still no-go, apply simple T1 material on it, re-export and check again.

If still no-go, delete this faulty mesh from main max file, model new one and re-export.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017