[WIP] Chapman Track Creator

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by TChapman500, Dec 10, 2013.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Time for the weekly update: The base instance was reimplemented and improved upon in one day, as was the event system (which was simply copied-over and improved upon). So, over the course of two days, I was able to completely restore the foundations of the track objects and improve them in the process. Over the next week or so, I intend to have the Scene Explorer and the Properties Window back up and running, as well as most of the object types that will be used to build the race track.

As for the rendering in the viewport, as I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, that will be done via DLL files. In fact, I'm going to attempt to move everything that is simulator-specific to DLL files. This will improve the editor's expandability while minimizing the amount of spaghetti-code. Not to mention, implementing the rendering engine using different graphics APIs will be far easier this way.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can use #ChapmanTrackCreator on twitter to discuss this editor and look for "updates" between the updates.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    SPASKIS and Oddonis like this.
  2. Oddonis

Oddonis Registered

No update?

3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I've been busy the last couple of weeks and have been unable to work on the track editor. But I think I'll be getting a break this week to work on it.

4. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress report time (since I was actually able to work on the track editor this week). I finished most of the prepping of the MFC code files of the new project to re-import most of the code I had made before Visual Studio forced me to restart the project. As for the code that's going to store the track data, I've been having a problem with that as well, which I am also trying to fix.

Also, another instance of trying to implement everything at once. In this case: Constraints. I simplified it down to just 2 for the segments: We can lock one end, the other, or both and that's it! It has reduced my functions from several hundred lines of code per function down to about 50. I've also split the arc into an arc and a line, which further simplifies things and will probably be more intuitive to the end user.

SPASKIS likes this.
  5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Quick question, sorry for not remembering the whole topic, but will there be the ability to import Lidar or other forms of topographical data?

Oddonis likes this.
  6. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Probably not at the start of the open beta period where we'll just be making sure that the track editor builds tracks that work, but that is on the priority list.

Guimengo likes this.
  7. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress report time: I was able to import all of the data from the previous "project" into this one. Some of the code has also been imported. And Visual Studio continues to give me trouble. Can't wait until I can finally get this thing into open beta.

UPDATE: Windows 10 is also giving me more problems again.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    SPASKIS and Oddonis like this.
  8. Oddonis

Oddonis Registered

Keep up.

9. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress report time: This is going to be a short report. I've been importing a lot of the old code this week, making changes where they're needed. I'm hoping to be able to finish this import job by the end of next week. Then I can pick up where I left off before Visual Studio forced me to restart.

Oddonis and SPASKIS like this.
  10. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I just realized that today is not the day for progress reports. Enjoy the early report. Next one will not be until next Friday.

SPASKIS likes this.
  11. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress report time. I've been busy this week. The track editor encountered the same error it did a few weeks ago that I "restarted" the project for (Visual Studio would "think" I restarted it anyways). That made me rather suspicious about what was actually going on. So I had Visual Studio run the editor in Debug mode and I found the problem, and fixed it. Too bad I didn't catch it the first time it came around. It could have saved me a lot of trouble. And in the mean time I was seriously trying to break-away from Visual Studio, period. But at least for this project, I can't. Now Visual Studio is giving me yet another problem. This time with the new DirectX API that Microsoft is forcing me to use. Boy am I having a fun time with this project.

McFlex and SPASKIS like this.
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Your commitment is extraordinary.

TChapman500 likes this.
  13. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

And reaching the limit of my patience.

Lukas Lichten and SPASKIS like this.
  14. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Just discovered why DirectX was giving me so much trouble. Conflict between the old and new APIs. Conflict resolved. Oh and by the way, there was no DirectX code in the project, yet it still managed to give me errors. Go figure.

McFlex, bravotangosix and Nibiru like this.
  15. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress Report Time: The event system I implemented is broken, so I'm going to have to redo that. And I didn't get as much code imported from the old project as I would have liked because I've been busy with other things. However, I did discover a bug in the MFC framework that was causing me trouble with the properties window, so I created a work-around that gives the results that I'm going for. Visual Studio is still giving me some problems, but for the most part, is no longer interfering with the development of the track editor. Hopefully, I'll have all of the old functionality in place next week.

SPASKIS likes this.
  16. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Completely forgot about this week's progress report. Sorry about that.

17. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress report time. I didn't quite get all of the old functionality back into the project, but I did get most of it in. In addition, I was able to add features and make some optimizations as I reimplemented the old code. I only have a few more things to tweak and then I get to test the features to make sure that they work properly.

Mystical, SPASKIS and jerrymcc like this.
  18. Mystical

Mystical Registered

Had to sign up just to say really glad you are still working on this tool. I used to follow your work on your sub on reddit before it got real quiet. I still work on NR2003 tracks a lot and still looking forward to this new tool being available one day.

I cannot speak as an official representative for everyone in the NR2003 community. However, as one of the more active track builders left in NR2003, the community and I are still very interested in any new tool that could replace the archaic Sandbox program one day.

TChapman500 likes this.
  19. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Thanks. I quit Reddit which unfortunately meant abandoning the official CTC subreddit. I've been meaning to put up an official CTC website, but there have been some reliability issues with the server which I haven't been able to resolve yet. Glad to hear there's still interest from the NR2003 community as I haven't found a way to reach them outside of Reddit.

Mystical likes this.
  20. Mystical

Mystical Registered

No worries. If you ever want to communicate with the NR2003 community I can direct you to one of the larger forums if you want to speak to the majority about anything related to your program. Or if would rather have someone like me relay any questions or overall interest I would be willing to do that too.

Regardless to the resolution to your program (gets completed or not) we all very much appreciate the work you have done already taking the initiative to make NR2003 an easier modding experience for track builders.