force feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by juanchioooo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Magus

Magus Registered

Personally, the feedback in my racing has improved 100 fold since implementing bass shakers onto my rig. I think a simple buttkicker 2 with Simvibe could provide these effect (and more) in ways more suitable than the FFB of a wheel. I understand that the cost and practicality isn't for everyone, but for those that can, I would strongly recommend it.

Emery, lagg, patchedupdemon and 2 others like this.
  2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

You just made me look into this. I think I'm gonna give myself an early Christmas present :D

Magus likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I didn’t even take into account the option to disable effects,if that option is available,then I’m fine with them adding anything,they need to try to cater to everyone to make rf2 a success

juanchioooo likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So the wish is for a 'jolt' of some sort during gear changes?

It seems unlikely to happen but a wish is a wish. I just wasn't sure which real-life forces were meant.

Hopefully some more other feedback items become standard in future, so the wheel can stay clean while other stuff like this moves where it makes more sense. You'd think wheel FFB, buttkicker style for jolts and gearchanges etc, and maybe movement (seat rotation or tilt) to give some rear sliding feeling would cover the basics and be pretty immersive. I wonder if you could use stereo seat kickers to provide some more feedback for the rear wheels, kind of like widened positional audio from 2 speakers? Maybe butt cheeks lack the same abilities as ears :p

Needs to be some sort of more standard device to help with rear feel. Even a road car transmits car body movement through the seat without breaking traction (cornering over a bump, for example) that I doubt the steering wheel would ever convey, and trying to push more stuff into our steering wheel FFB is just confusing things. Ostensibly that's why rF1 users pushed for clean FFB which rF2 now has.

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

@Lazza the transmission if the cockpit is static does not transmit anything , You can only transmit it through the wheel, if you do not like to deactivate it, you have ... in the raceroom it is very good and you have the option to activate or deactivate it.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

juanchioooo and Lazza like this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would also ASSUME....that cars with very light super fast shifts like F1 would transmit very very small amounts of tactile feel. But downshifting a Big ol V8 from a Lola might really rock the boat.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, all good. The first post isn't clear on what you meant, so that's why I was asking. Obviously a real car doesn't give any gearchange feedback through the steering wheel (except for car-behaviour related feedback, which rF2 should already give), so I just wanted to find out whether you were asking for something the game should already have but doesn't (given it only tries to make the wheel do what a real wheel would), or an additional effect to act on the steering wheel.

So it's not surprising it doesn't give any extra FFB for the gearchange, but as an optional addition I think it would be cool.

Sorry, sometimes I can't use simple English. I like your suggestion, as an option :D

juanchioooo likes this.
  9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

as an option, I said it, with percentage values, more or less strength, and be able to activate or deactivate it,;):)
    My English is 5%, too basic to express myself well, I'm sorry:(
    @Emery that would be ideal, but nocturnal noises, more economic question, are not options for me, therefore the only way to implement it would be in the steering wheel, Put activators or movement is ideal but ...:(:confused:

10. stonec

stonec Registered

It is still a canned effect unless they model the transmission somehow and rF2 FFB selling point is to not have any fake effects. Even if they modelled the transmission, I'm not sure a gear change is realistically felt in the wheel. What I see when F1 drivers change gears (before seamless gearboxes came) is that their heads move forwards, but there is not necessarily any "force" felt in the wheel from it. Consider that you get no FFB effect for "accelerate" or when you lift off throttle if you are on a straight line and keep the wheel straight. The same way, the change of gears shouldn't cause any left/right movement on the wheel (rF2 FFB only operates on left-right forces).

marmagas and SPASKIS like this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I cannot agree more.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, that's why I was clarifying if it was an extra effect that was desired (not something that comes through the steering wheel in real life, but could be added to the wheel FFB to aid immersion). As an option. IMHO this shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

13. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

The physics of RF2 are by far the best of the markets available to the general public.

The ISI / S397 cars are excellent and showcase physics.

The FFB of rf2 is apparently totally correlated with the physics, without the addition of any special effect or fake effect, contrary to the concurrency.

This is a huge asset of RF2 because the FFB product is fantastic.

---> I am therefore formally opposed to any addition of this type of effects.

On the other hand, there must be a way to improve the "translation of physics by the FFB"? That I want !!!

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I believe Gear Changes are related to G-Force as there is nothing felt through the wheel, when you change Gear there is a momentary lapse of G-Force, therefore a canned effect is the only way to go for this to be a viable feeling through FFB. I'm all for an Option for this (On/Off) but it's not something I'd personally use, I can't remember which Sim it was (AC or RRE) but the G-Force effect of changing Gear whilst in VR was very good and life like from my (albeit limited) V8Supercar Trackday Experience.

A Buttkicker is probably the best way to fully experience more "effects" that we don't get through a wheel, maybe that could work.

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I can only use one wheel, so I just said that if you can put it on, the one that does not want it, that you do not like it or not seems real, deactivate it, or activate it at 20% to 30% to 80% or 100% .... it is curious when someone comments: that is not real in the effect in fbb, when has the reventon in the tire been the fbb implemented? the one that says is real is that it has never happened to him, because that effect is not realistic at all, nor is it approaching

@MarcG I can not use the Buttkicker

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I can't either as I don't have one (was just a suggestion), anyway yeah an Option would be the best alternative.

juanchioooo likes this.
  17. stonec

stonec Registered

I can accept having it as option, but as I said one selling point of rF2 FFB is to not have any canned effects. I don't know what you mean by "reventon in the tire", but if you mean flatspots, then you are wrong. All flatspot vibrations are real calculated forces from the tire to the steering arm, there is nothing fake in it. Nico Rosberg had to pit on first lap in Sochi 2014 because the car was vibrating so much from a flat spot that he could barely see.

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Just for curiosity. Should the effect occur while engaging the gear or when releasing the clutch? Should it pull the wheel into the inner or into the outer side of the curve while turning? What would happen while driving in straight line?

For non Spanish speakers, Reventon means flat tire for the one who asked.

pkelly likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

a blowout on the rear wheel in the direction you do not notice anything, if it is the front and you go to 100km / h the swerves are very strong, and if you turn over ...that is as real as life itself

the forced feedback is simulation but not everything is reality, say it as you say

7.1 headphones are implemented with software, but the reality is that 7.1 is a joke

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

en español reventon es cuando explota la rueda por demasiada degradación uniforme , desinflada es otra cosa, no se como se define en ingles

in spanish reventon is when the wheel explodes for too much uniform degradation, deflated is something else is not how it is defined in English, I do not know either the determination or the explanation

on the front wheels at high speed you lose the steering wheel
    of the hands, in the rear wheels on the steering wheel does not affect the movement, I speak logically in a straight line, and if you brake turn over the car