Modders tip and tricks! Share your tips

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pauli Partanen, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Hello!

I taught it would be great idea to have thread where modder's could share tips and tricks with rF2 modding.

For example something like
    Tips for good spec/fresnel values for main body.
    Good shaders and values for wheels
    TIps how to make fast round objects in 3dmax
    How to figure out why game is crashing.
    etc. Just anything you think would be usefull

You get the idea :) I will update the first post with ideas from modders. Reason for this thread, as we modders know, good info is sometimes hard to find.

I will start with one example

Tips for car modding:
    How I make my driver steering animation.

I use the ISI driver sample

I load up a sample driver in max. (use the file settings) eg 1 of the drivers is in inches, leave it inches.
    I then merge my seat and steering wheel into the driver scene, so I can position the driver.
    Now select bip01 and in the motion tab un press figure mode in biped. This should let the driver take on the animation and sit down.
    Now move the animation slider to 240 (the middle of the animation)
    Select only the bones and then press Auto Key and then position the driver on the seat and steering wheel. Un press auto key.
    Now all I do is select one of the hand bones. (you will see keyframes set for the hand). I move to the first keyframe turn on auto key and move/rotate the hand into position. Turn off auto key and move to the next keyframe and repeat. Do this for all keyframes then do the same on the other hand.
    Once you have both hands done check your animation. If it looks good then select the driver model only and export the animation with the name you want eg carname_steer.anm.
    Now you just use on of the driver models in the driver samples for your driver and get it to load the animation you just made.
    That's it.
    Tip by @Nibiru

Problem/Tip:Realistic weight

Remember to add drivers weight to car mass in HDV. Example: Car weight 500kg and total mass with driver is 575kg. You could also add other fluids mass to it too. Like +10kg for that. Do NOT add fuel
    Tip by: @Postipate

Problem/Tip:Turbo not working when engine is selected from updagrade.ini
    You have two options, first one, put a non existing engine on the .hdv and the two real engines on the upgrades.ini. Second, put an existing engine on the .hdv and the second one on the upgrade.ini (but not both engines).
    Tip by @dbaldi

Tips for track modding:
    Crickets...

Tips for other modding:
    Crickets...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

How I make my driver steering animation.

I use the ISI driver sample

I load up a sample driver in max. (use the file settings) eg 1 of the drivers is in inches, leave it inches.
    I then merge my seat and steering wheel into the driver scene, so I can position the driver.
    Now select bip01 and in the motion tab un press figure mode in biped. This should let the driver take on the animation and sit down.
    Now move the animation slider to 240 (the middle of the animation)
    Select only the bones and then press Auto Key and then position the driver on the seat and steering wheel. Un press auto key.
    Now all I do is select one of the hand bones. (you will see keyframes set for the hand). I move to the first keyframe turn on auto key and move/rotate the hand into position. Turn off auto key and move to the next keyframe and repeat. Do this for all keyframes then do the same on the other hand.
    Once you have both hands done check your animation. If it looks good then select the driver model only and export the animation with the name you want eg carname_steer.anm.
    Now you just use on of the driver models in the driver samples for your driver and get it to load the animation you just made.
    That's it.