SOLVED Latest update broke video output

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MrVibrating, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

Just tried to launch the game after a short break, Steam applied an update, could find no patch notes so no idea what patches were applied, but when the game started the video output was broken.

I've always got by using the custom screen setting, specifying height and width, in windowed mode, which worked perfectly.

Now however it ignores the custom resolution, and enforces a resolution from an irrelevant list of resolutions DX erroneously says my system supports. I normally play in a borderless window spanning six monitors. As of now, RF2 only allows me to set a window size with a max resolution of one monitor.

Please fix this ASAP, or else, is there some way i can down-grade to the previous version?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

In rFactor 2\UserData\Config_DX11.ini, there's a setting called CustomVidRes=, set that to what you want, I have mine at CustomVidRes=(5760, 1080) and it works fine.

3. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

@Coutie
    Thanks mate, worked perfectly!
    Had me worried there.. thought custom windows had been shelved!

4. rauf00

rauf00 Registered

Latest beta v1109 DX11

Theres problem with proper resolution rendering in 21:9 aspect ratio, switching to 3440x1440 (native for my screen) cause narrow compressed image sth like 3:2?
    2560x1440 in 16:9 looks perfectly ok. Previously 21:9 wasn't a problem.

Tried that trick and did nothing.

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Did you try WidescreenUI=1 in the same file?

rauf00 likes this.
  6. rauf00

rauf00 Registered

It was at 1.
    However, after update WidescreenUIWidth= value changed to 1920, and setting it to 3440 did the job, thanks.

proper numbers

Coutie likes this.
  7. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

..it's happened again! Tried to play for first time in yonks, Steam updates it and now it only opens half a window?

It's set to open a 1920 x 960 window in both 'custom' and 'minimum' fields of the dx_11.ini - and seems to be attempting to do so, except the resulting window has a weird narrow letterbox aspect (maybe 480 height?) - the GUI is drawn as if the window had scaled correctly, so i can only see the top half of the GUI, but the lower half's clipped off by the nerfed window height..

In short it's failing to open the correct custom window size, yet still scaling the GUI to that size regardless, so i only see the top half of the game..

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

From the launcher have you selected the cog icon on the left and then Videp Settings?
    If Windows is set to your resolution you want to game with then it should be selectable in the rF2 Video settings.
    Also is Multiview on or off.
    Ingame you can change widescreen UI a couple of other things .
    Not at my computer hence the vague suggestions .
    As far as I know you shouldn't really need to edit the dx11 ini.
    I'm probably wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

9. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

Thanks for the tips mate, but this is why i rely on custom window sizes - my desktop spans multiple monitors, so the only resolutions available from the launcher are those of an individual monitor.

I don't use multiview, just want a regular window that fills all screens like it used to..

It appears that the custom window size function's stopped working... at least, when the requested window spans monitors?

10. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

...just found the problem, and workarounds:

- RF2 can no longer open in a window that spans monitors if either borderless mode and/or antialiasing are set in the game config.

This is obviously a bug that's been introduced at some point over the last year...

The workaround is to disable both options in the game config, and then use Nvidia control panel to force AA, and some other external app to force borderless mode ("Simple Runtime Window Editor" or "Windows Borderless Gaming").

Now to work out how to reduce the brightness (tarmac almost white as the sky!). At least it's playable tho..

11. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

Right! Fixed the brightness issue by enabling DX9 mode from Steam's "Beta opt-in" function...

This also enables me to select AA from the game config without tripping the window sizing bug..

However the 'Borderless' windows still fail to open correctly, even under DX9... which seems to imply it's an issue with how they've implemented borderless functionality, rather than something specific to the DX11 port.

I have to say, racing the Skip Barbers around the Nord_2016_v1.0 under DX9 with 2x AA @ 1920x960 is crisp, slick and fluid. A really good drive (best of any racing game ever, hands down). I did previously try the DX11 port of the Nord but it appears to have been pulverised with the ugly stick..

Under DX11 though it both looks and plays horribly. The 'Aggressive Threading' config option seems to help somewhat, but the game's almost unplayable, just nowhere near as enjoyable. Outlines are blurry with too much bloom, the image is badly aliased, the contrast ratios and colour balance are way over-baked...

...i sincerely hope they continue the DX9 support until DX11 can at least match its output quality.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@MrVibrating Just for clarity, are you using dx11 by opting out of all betas in steam? Some people still think they need to select a version which has led to issues for them, so thought I'd throw it out there.

13. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

@Lazza - yes, DX9 is the only beta i've tried, DX11 is the current release version.

Tried DX11 again last night with a variety of settings but it's a significant downgrade on quality and framerate no matter what i try, so happy to stick with DX9 for now...

14. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

...i think i may have just identified some kind of conflict between RF2 and Matrox Powerdesk - the software installed along with Matrox Triplehead drivers that adds further desktop functionality.

This conflict presents two symptoms:

• Upon fully exiting the game + launcher, upon restarting from the Steam shortcut, the launcher window fails to open on the desktop. However the process is live and running - attempting to restart from the shortcut again, Steam reports that the game is already running - which it is, only there's no sign of it on the desktop, it's not minimised to the Taskbar and can't be alt-tabbed to.

The only way to restart the game and actually see the window is to close RF2 and Steam from the Task Manager, then close ALL the MAtrox Powerdesk processes, including its service - upon which the game runs normally.

• Secondly, there's annoying micropauses in-game. Their appearance seems to be somewhat random - not tied to graphics load (ie. certain points on a track), and there are no cores being maxed out. If they're present when you first hit the track, they persist, but sometimes they don't arise in the first place and i get a smooth 60 FPS.

Again, closing all the Matrox Powerdesk processes appears to fix this issue also.

Heads up for anyone else with this S/W installed...

ETA: on a whim i tried setting Borderless=1 in the cfg to see if the Matrox S/W was also causing that issue, however it still fails to open a full window as before. This does appear to be a bug in the implementation of borderless mode when spanning displays.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018