SOLVED Bug when changing the session in 1109

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by lagg, Oct 20, 2017.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

We have the server configured with these sessions.
    • Practice 1
    • Practice 2
    • Qualifying
    • Race
    Yesterday running a server with the build 1109, when i changed the session from Practice 1 to Practice 2 all the drivers (16) began to have problems with the server. Nobody could see anyone (like if we where in a private session) and some drivers had a connection lost.
    I oppened the Remote Desktop, to check the dedicated, and all the pings were bigger than 600. Usually the ping of all our users is lower than 100, and most of us have a ping lower of 50. And we are always the same users.
    After this, i closed the rF2 dedicated and started it again. When all of us were in Practice 1, everithing was fine again, and when i changed to Practice 2 the problem happened again.
    I closed the server, all of us changed to the build 1108, i changed the server to the 1108, and started the dedicated.
    The dedicated server 1108 was a backup that i did before the update to the 1109, and have exactly the same config.
    When all of us (16) were connected to the dedicated, i passed to Practice 2 and everything was fine, and we continue with the Qualifying and race without any problem.
    Same users, same server pc, same config in both dedicated, but different build.

2. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

OK, reposting this here in the interests of bug reporting, I am racing in a different league to the OP so this was a separate occasion:

No problems all week but come qualifying the server was freezing.
    After two restarts we just waited it out and 2 mins in we could do the quali.
    That was really worrying but in the end all turned out ok.
    Practice was OK, same for warmup and race but the qualifying was where we had the problem.
    We have had 40 car grids in the Megane trophy II and the Apex GT3s with no problems whatsoever, 30 cars we had last night should not have been a problem.
    Our format is like this:
    Practice
    Qualifying
    Race

No warm up for sprint races but we did a 1 min warmup regardless this time out and it went smoothly.

1)Rf2 latest version has a bug?
    2)Bug in the GT3 pack?
    3)Maybe custom liveries causing the disruption
    4)Mod is too heavy?

WiZPER and lagg like this.
  3. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Yes, I concur with the "v1109 Server Freeze" issue.
    We have experienced this twice in two different context, rF2-GT3 @ Silverstone and ApexGT3 @ AustriaRing, both time when transitionning from Practice to Qual., then to a lesser extent from Qual to Warmup and Warmup to Race. Considering it was working fine with the same ApexGT3 (v0.953) in the v1108 build, the problem is more likely related to the new build v1109.

The big freezes were from Practice to Qual., as it took between 60 and 120 sec. to come back to normal.
    But this is the good news actually : if you just wait it comes back. It seems to be a related to a longer processing time for each car. So the more the cars, the longer it will take...

Lukas Lichten and lagg like this.
  4. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Same problem here last couple of weeks.
    Much higher than usual ping for all connected and synchronizing for long time when session changes.
    Irregular disconnects as well with occasional freezing, if one waits, game returns but AI are then 20 secs behind.
    I run my rF2 DX9 dedi with exactly the same DX9 players now since 2013 so this is quite a new development.
    I am not using the Steam dedi server as I have a separate licence for the dedi.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    lagg likes this.
  5. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I concur.
    Lots of lag and lots of players disconnecting mid-race.
    I have had in the past freezes when a player left a race, these have become much worse and in fact cause other drivers to disconnect as well.
    This is an experience killer for those affected and is driving people away.
    Needs a fix ASAP, at least some feedback as to the causes.
    Is there more internet traffic with the latest build and why?
    RF2 is increasingly starting to feel like beta.
    And here comes the big question:Is anyone actually listening?

SPASKIS, lagg and ceecee like this.
  6. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I saw today at discord where the same problem came up, that someone stated it is a known issue and devs are looking into it.

lagg and ceecee like this.
  7. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

I was actually just going to make a post about a possibly related issue I am having. Here is a video of what happens: https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/444487/2812407/ZudiJd7NPGYSBa6/upload.mov

This is just a quick video I made quite a while ago, I can try to make something more decent to properly highlight the issue. From the looks of it, you'd say it was just lag, but (unfortunately) the issue is more complex and I can't figure out yet why this is happening.

When racing online in the practice session, I am getting pretty much perfect results regardless of the amount of cars. However, once the game switches session to warmup or race, the game appears to get 'confused'. Cars start warping and disappearing as per the video, just like there's a lot of lag.

This is not the usual issue of a bad connection as you would normally assume, but it must be something on my side (or between me and the server), since other drivers in the server do not appear to suffer from the same issue. This is what I know:
    • Internet speed is a constant 40Mbit down, 5Mbit up. Steam downloads, other games, other devices, etc. all reach this limit constantly without any jittering.
    • Same issue with 2 different ISPs in 2 different countries.
    • PC is connected directly via a cable into the router, but the same issue occurred when previously on WiFi.
    • I have a fresh install of rF2 (since the switch to Steam), but the issue persists.
    • I do not get synchronisation / correction errors, my car is correctly synced with the server.
    • The further away the drivers are from me on the track, the more likely they are to disappear/swerve. Usually during the race the cars around me are perfectly fine, but watching the replay or trackmap I can see cars going a bit all over the place.
    • The plugin system also gets confusing data. In my own plugin (RacePad) my laps are not registered correctly, positions of other drivers go all over the track (esp. when further away), etc. Strangely the plugin appears to recover from it after 2 or 3 laps and laps start registering again. I have to add some debug logging to the plugin to understand at what point consistent data is coming in again.
    • This has happened since several versions already, it's not just the latest version.
    • Disabling all plugins doesn't help.
    • 100+ fps on my system.
    • Restarting rF2 to rejoin the session doesn't fix it.
    • Changing the network rate settings in rF2 doesn't change anything.
    To be tested:
    • Playing on a different server, I always just join this one from the xrpm.eu leagues.
    • Monitoring the connection / data rates during the sessions
    • Bypassing router and using direct modem connection
    • Reinstall of Windows (on Win 7/64-bit currently using DX9)
    • Use a different computer
    Sorry for the long post, I'm just a bit baffled by what could be causing this. Again, driving in practice is perfectly fine, but once the session is switched the issue begins... It looks a bit similar to what everyone is describing above, but it just happens to me apparently...

It's quite frustrating. Although it doesn't directly affect my gameplay since the cars around me are mostly fine, it does mess up the historical data registered by the plugin (and thus things like fuel calculations and track maps go off), mess up the replays, or mess up watching other drivers during the warmup.

8. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I presume DX9, after raising your in game network settings, did you shut down the game completely and restart (including Steam) ?
    Also check that there are no syncing processes going on in the background (Dropbox, Onedrive etc).

9. SRGP

SRGP Registered

The Server Tool has been updated last week : it seems to have cured the Freeze issue, or at least reduced it to a non problematic level.
    More feedback welcome ;)

10. lagg

lagg Registered

Sorry, what is the Server Tool?

11. SRGP

SRGP Registered

The rFactor2 "Dedicated Server" version downloaded with SteamCMD.
    All this weekend races have been "freeze"-free after updating.

wrxxy, lagg and SPASKIS like this.
  12. lagg

lagg Registered

It means that there has been an update of the dedicated of the 1109, ¿no?

13. SRGP

SRGP Registered

yes, but still named "v1109", so 100% compatible

14. lagg

lagg Registered

15. CollierT11

CollierT11 Registered

This was posted today in the DX11 thread:

22/11/2017:
    Dedicated server update

- Fixed lag and issues on switching session
    - Improved server performance