ISI vs S397 Physics Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Oct 17, 2017.

1. joekart

joekart Registered

None, i think he's speaking about wheel angle...

2. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Thanks, I'll give this plugin a look. Basically, the cars from the GT3 Pack steer less near center for me. I have to get near-or-more 45º of rotation for any significant steering to occur, while on other cars this doesn't happen.

Don't think so as this happens regardless of speed or tyre wear.

Cheers.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Does this also affect the virtual steering wheel in the cockpit? Because the virtual steering wheel tells exactly how much steering input the car receives, and it should be 1:1 with your real wheel if things are calibrated correctly. Also, the car tires should always turn as a linear multiple of the virtual steering wheel, I'm not aware of any non-linear steering system in any rF2 car, so I doubt they added it for these GT3 cars without a mention. Also make sure speed sensitivity is set to 0%, it adds a fake filter when you drive at high speeds.

Skan likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

That's incorrect. Due to steering geometry the relationship is non linear. It is more noticeable in karts (naked eye). For other cars you will have to use telemetry to account for it. DAM plugin logs the rotation of each tire (toe)

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Ok, so rF2 can model a non-linear steering rack then. I wasn't aware of it.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

7. Skan

Skan Registered

You do not need a plugin to test non-linearity. Simply go to the UI and adjust the steering sensitivity. Take a drive. Of course, do not leave it there, just see the change and take note.

Using a plugin related to steering rotation (especially for testing purposes) would demand the wheel be setup correctly in the first place. Stonec nicely explained some of that in a post above.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The non linearity that I mean is because both wheels do not turn the same. It has nothing to do with steering sensitivity or speed sensitivity.

However, it is good that you mention it because it is a more feasible cause of OP's issue.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Let's not forget, either, the 'new' steering system rF2 has, which can be used to get actual non-linear steering on the car itself.

*If someone wants to graph steered angle (ie average front toe) against steering wheel input, it should soon become clear whether the steering is non-linear. Best to disable Steer Ratio Speed in the controller.JSON, so it doesn't skew results.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. Skan

Skan Registered

What you, Spaskis are describing is the same thing Stonec was saying. What I was saying is that a plugin would not help read accurate info from any situation that you and Stonec are describing. Both wheels will turn the same when the OP and anyone else with this problem calibrates their wheel. They will no longer have driving issues. Not going to repeat it in every thread no matter how much it might need repeating.

11. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

I always make sure my wheel and the virtual wheel have the same rotation.

Which is why this is weird. It doesn't happen on any simulator, only on the GT3 Pack cars.

But rFactor 2 doesn't like the G29, so I always need to match the in-game wheel with my G29. It's an annoying process, but it gets the job done.

It's always 0% ;)

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

so one more question, does anyone think the general feel of S397 cars feel different from ISI. (so the gt500 onwards)

13. stonec

stonec Registered

You asked the same question in first post of this thread, so why repeat it? There is no clear cut difference IMO. ISI worked on GT500 as it already previewed back in 2013, in fact they probably did most of the car. Same way as both ISI and S397 worked on USF2000, but USF started much later, so it's a newer car than GT500. And when S397 took over all the car staff moved from ISI to S397. So IMO you are trying to create an issue of something that doesn't exist.

14. LokiD

LokiD Registered

why does the stock car always pull to the left under throttle, even with a symmetrical setup?!

For me theres a better heavier FFB feel to the gt500 onwards. Don't need any added caster to give me heavier turning force.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

since 99% of their races are on ovals I'd suspect the nascar chassis itself is not symmetrical, years ago they'd have different chassis for speedways, superspeedways and short ovals. I think nowadays they cant anymore

LokiD likes this.
  16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If it pulls to the left it must have some assymetry. Probably weight distribution. Telemetry will give you the answer.

17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

For me there is no difference as if the physics developers were different.

On the other hand there is a clear improvement of the physics and thus of the FFB which is linked.

That is due to two things:

- Technologies of physics which improve little by little, even under ISI in any way.
    - Integration of real car data (given the gt3 pack, it makes a huge difference.)

A very good example showing these two elements:

Try to compare the ISI GT3 camaro with the news ... the camaro may be very well , compared to the news is the day and the night!

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah I agree about that, the ISI Camaro feels quite different than the GT3 pack cars. But since Camaro days, lot of the technology in rF2 has changed. S397 now uses more accurate tire calculations, which so far only apply for the GT3 cars I think? The Camaro feels on the edge all the time, it does understeer but it feels very load sensitive, probably because tires are less forgivable over the limit.

19. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

If I'm not mistaken, yes I confirm, the latest tire technology is only on gt3, and will be on all future S397 cars.

I would very much like the ~ 37 other cars ISI / S397 to have these new tires + all the latest evolutions that have been since.

I hope that we will have information in the coming weeks on this subject (major subject I find).