[REL] Ferrari 312 1967

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Great job, the BT20 is the car in RF2 that gives me the most rewarding driving experience, now it has a companion.
    This one has it's own temper, but it very believable, faster than BT20 as it should (40 bhp should be felt).
    Those classical F1 are very responsive to minute changes in setups, and you can tame the beast, but for sure it is not a GT3 with ABS and traction control.
    Exceptional work on 3D modelling and physics, with an attention to detail I would have liked to find in a recent paid mod.
    Thanks and cheers.

Emery, Guimengo and Jon like this.
  2. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Update 1.1. Steam will update mod automatically
    Log:
    Fixed wrong mirror reflections
    Less engine brake
    other small changes
    +Special thanks for Ari Antero

Car will be now more steady under braking, but the distances are longer. Keep that in mind while racing ;)

Huge thanks for people who has joined the Ari's server. Has been sooo much fun to drive with you guys.
    In future we will make small league series with Ari and Mauro with these cars ;) So lets practice more!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. Pauli Partanen

4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Thanks a lot for the car !
    I found a very small issue, the transparent thing on both sides is only one sided.

Attached Files:

5. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

This car ROCKS hard. Astonishing work. I love it. I saw that Postpate added the H shifter option (that is simply GREAT) but, in my opinion, there is still a big problem. I propose to make an easy test for to see that.
    For do that test I invite you to see what happens at the rear axle. See the image for make this test easier to understand.
    In my opinion the car has some problem on the rear suspensions. Bump and rebounds are the issue for me. If you try to accellerate you will be able to see that the car is not really able to sustain the power of the compression in the suspensions...simply there is no space and time for them to sustain. So there will be a bouncing of the rear axle and the car will be uncontrollable with a spin in a mere and stupid accelleration on straight. It is the same issue that have the Merc AMG of the GT3's DLC in some way (on default setup I mean). But that is very easy to see in that case.
    Try to make a standing start (until 4° gear) with default suspension option (4/4) and see what happens (in slow motion on replay) with the same camera in the thumbnail. Than do the same thing with minimum values (1/1 so the softer suspensions) and for the 3° try use something like 9/7...or 10/8.
    You will see that the worst situation is to have softer bump and rebounds. Also with 4/4 is too hard to control the car. There is no space for make the suspensions work. Even with low accelerations and brake sessions is too easy to have mechanical limit. To have values like 9/7 or 10/8 will be good but only on flat circuits like Monza. It is not enough for circuits like Monza 10Km, Nordschleife, Spa, Monaco etc etc.
    The other things on setup doesn't affect that effect on straight, clean and no-bumpy tracks, so the only way for avoid the problem is to work on suspensions values making them stiffer.
    I think that is needed a tiny recalibration on that. Another way to solve that it could be to have more values for bumps and rebounds (up to now the stiffer value for them is 11...I think it would be necessary 30 for driving in the Nords).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  6. Pauli Partanen

Thanks for feedback!
    Thanks for this info :)

Lu ManiaK likes this.
  7. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

I was wrong. The existing values are good enough for to drive everywhere. This mod is EXCELLENT.

Jon and Pauli Partanen like this.
  8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

New version 1.1 is more balanced, the car is now a pleasure to drive even on a technical track.
    Still, even with greatly reduced camber settings (-1.0 front, -0,8 rear) it is impossible to have the outer part of the loaded tire to heat properly.
    But it is not the only car in RF2 to behave like this.
    Thanks and cheers.

9. Pauli Partanen

Yeah I could change the default camber. Its bit too much now

Yeah there is many many cars with same thing with the heating.

10. Pauli Partanen

Interesting video. Sadly the sound volume is quite low for rF2

Mauro likes this.
  11. Jon

Jon Registered

I think the sound quality is lowered in the rF2 game engine itself, rather than the result of the samples used. If you maximise the bass on your PC's equaliser you'll notice a deep bass when navigating the UI before loading the game. So much so I had to reduce the menu sounds to 5%. However as soon as you load the game and get into the car this deep base gets lost. It's noticeable on every car, so I think it's a result of the game engine audio rather than samples used. Nice video though. I noticed your version requires more wheel correction, a sign that's it's more realistic as I believe racing those vintage cars did require constant wheel correction.

Guimengo likes this.
  12. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

He probably use rF2 for online tournaments with other mates. Using teamspeak you need to put the rF2's volume at 15% at max (on Windows volumes settings for applications) or it is impossible to hear the other guys on TS when you are driving. If he doesn't use AC for tournaments he will have the volume at 100%.

I do the same thing.

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  13. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Nice!
    Driver looks like a young Jacky Ickx. Nailed the nose anyhow. :D
    Lookin forward to rippin up the Monaco coast. :cool:

Cheers
    rocket

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  14. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Finally was able to take this out for a quick lap or two between my testing. It's a great looking car! Congrats to everyone involved!

My only thing for improvement would be to add a specular and bump map to the tire tread. The reflection across the tread just looses a little bit to my eye. When you compare the Brabham to the Ferrari, you'll see what I mean.
    20171110204026_1.jpg 20171110204411_1.jpg
    Again a very minor thing. I hope you guys continue with the other cars and have the Eagle on your list ;)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  15. Flaux

Flaux Registered

As a reference:

Jon likes this.
  16. Pauli Partanen

Lu Maniak pushing the Ferrari to limits :)

Im middle of making onboard video of monaco too, i just got locked out of my steam account for failing to login too many times... Don't know how long this takes

pascom, jimagn, Lu ManiaK and 2 others like this.
  17. Jon

Jon Registered

I've seen a few of these, beautiful car. You can easily see the wheel correction. Imagine on a the historical Spa with all its cracked paving, uneven surface, and driving flat-out! On-board with Jim Clark is also a good reference which is on YouTube, although he was considered the smoothest, not least the quickest, of his day. So perhaps he didn't need to correct the car so much.

18. Jon

Jon Registered

I love that slide he does at 0:34. Exactly how the car handled, it's clearly visible in the 1967 races on YouTube of the French and Monaco grand prix. In fact the Monaco GP they are clearly seen to "spin" their car round that final hairpin, something I've not managed to do in the BT20, though I've yet to try it in the Ferrari.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    jimagn and Lu ManiaK like this.
  19. Pauli Partanen

Me having fun!

pascom, jimagn, Mauro and 3 others like this.
  20. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

You know what? I don't really like how he drives that car. Well...I know your post was for a sound comparison but looking at Rossi's drive I had my eyes and my ears bleeding. He is a really fast modern driver but he's not still good with an old beast like that.

Lotus 49 had a synchro transmission so the H&T wasn't needed in downshift for avoid mechanical failure. But still useful for to do the same things that were able the other cars. Also made the car more and more driveable entering the corner, shifting in the middle, and that was due by the clutch control. I read Jon's post (thanks man I appreciate that you liked what I did) and what he said is true. Exiting the corner with these cars was better leaving them to slide. That was possible using more aggressivity on releasing the clutch after the H&T. Clutch was a really important thing on drive. Gears, gas pedal, brake pedal, steering wheel, determine a racer's character...his soul, his intelligence, his guts...until 1989 the clutch was important exactly like these things. Without a manual clutch needed for use the gearbox, the drive became aseptic. You brake, you downshift and then you enter the turn...with modern tires, suspensions and aerodinamic that is possible. In a 49 it is not really possible.

And that's why I hate Rossi's drivestile in that video. He doesn't use H&T on downshift. He tooks too many risks entering the corner in the first part of the video...he seems to understand so he brakes like driving a motorbike. He brakes and downshift only on straight.
    He also seems to forgot to use the clutch. Not only in downshift but also in upshift...it is listenable. His mistake is that he change gear BEFORE using the clutch !!! If you see his right arm and his left leg you can see his mistake. The gearbox screams his disappointing. When he does it right there is not a weird sound and the car has a natural drive entering/exiting corners and on straight.
    He is not prepared for to drive a pre-'90 F1 car. He was driving very slowly (in my opinion) but he risked too much for himself and the car because he wasn't able to use the correct techniques.

Jon likes this.