Latest Roadmap Update -October 2017

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Perhaps I am wrong but a huge part a the "complains" or constructive critism or frustrations in this forum exists largely due to S397's miscommunication and lack of information given (except the last roadmap, finally). So I think it is important, to decrease the "legitimate" complains as you seems to want.

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I'll do the high test and I'll take pictures of you, I think it went well too, but I'll check it 100%

3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

antialiasing affects the lines of the road too , antialiasing x4
    anisotropic x 16
    I think you're wrong in the shadows, but you have to respect your opinion ;):)

4. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

You have done a awesome job in rfactor2 guys...

Please , consider this features in nearly future:

New native HUD / TV overlay system - Many leagues uses the GRTV plugin. This plugin is the unique solution. But I think of a native TV plugin would be more functional. This plugin dont receive any update for 2 or more years. https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/tv-plugin.43684/

Limited tire sets with cumulative wear / component change delays - I race in the IMRS http://stockcarsimracing.com/garage2/index.php?topic=867.0 . This league use the tire rule:

IronMan Racing Series Tire Rule

1. You start the race with 4 tires on the car.
    2. You have an additional 8 tires in the pits for the duration of the race
    3. You may change tires as you wish during pit stops, lefts only, rights only, lefts and rights, or none
    4. For each additional set of tires (2) you take above the allotted amount, a 1 lap penalty will be applied to you at the end of the race.

Would be very nice feature the game make this management. Actualy the Admin see the replay to confirm of the drivers do not exceed the tire rule.

5. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

- For sparse grid supersampling, that is a fact because it base on tests....Test it ;)
    One on the results of my test was that you could put shadows on Ultra WITH SHADOW BLUR AT OFF. While without sparse grid supersampling, shadows on ultra + SHADOW BLUR ON MAXIMUM, there is very ugly aliasing on shadows.

- For 4K it is an OPINION because I don't make tests... the resolutions of shadow are increased 4 times, so logically = less aliasing.

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I think that because of the language I can not understand it well
    can you put screenshot of how to configure it?the complete configuration to see where I'm wrong ?, according to your opinion
    just like the language in rfactor, because some things say different! thank you and I'm sorry

7. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I am in holidays I can't !

For sparse grid supersampling you have to use NVIDIA INSPECTOR. For the settings according to my memory that is :
    - antialiasing MSAA X2 + antialiasing sparse grid supersampling ×2
    - Msaa X4 + sparse grid supersampling X4
    - msaa x8 + sparse grid supersampling x8

Important :
    I am not sure 100% or these settings, check on the web how to use sparse grid supersampling.

But I believe it is too HUNDGRY (demanding) in hardware ressources.

Trying 4K DSR is better I think (you have to decrease the DSR blurring setting and put AA Off or level 1.) ---> to get overall quality.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Touching one point of the roadmap with my personal preference:

My favorite mod is the 32_pixels Toyota Celica GTO. Lester GP is one of my favorite tracks. Both are a few years old, both left as-is by the modder. That established, I would have supported a move to a new graphics engine which would future-proof the title, per se, over perpetually trying to keep things working and having to live in compromise.

That would mean a lot of existing work would need updating. It would also mean the possibility of higher visual representation of such mods that receive an update, and the ability for current modders to have their work look coherently good across all platforms, given there is adequate documentation. Now back to my first couple of sentences, such mods would need community support and knowledgeable users to bring them up to date (only visuals), meaning also doing so out of general best interest without official permission. It can be a cloudy area since there's no way of reaching modders who disappeared, however the spirit and mechanics would be left untouched, with only an update to keep it compatible.

There's a great risk in simply seeing these pieces of work disappearing but the potential trade off, to me, compensates the risk. While top work, already rare and few, may be lost, so will a lot of subpar conversions. It would almost bring a blank slate that can attract prolific modders from other games that have created quality content covering old or new eras. Lastly, completing the dream move would be Vulkan support, effectively removing the forceful ties of DirectX and specific Windows OS versions.

As I said, personal preference. It's too late for the current game but maybe something that can be kept in mind for future developments.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

It is strange that VR is listed as the first reason for moving to DX11 in the update, yet there is no development slated for VR...

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Read into it what you will ;) The way I see it is VR works pretty well (...well mine & others recent problems may argue against!) so maybe they've chucked it on the back burner whilst they concentrate on other areas to one day return to it. As when VR works in RF2 it's good enough, sure some more optimisation wont hurt and the much wished for "Lock To Horizon" is needed for many, lets see what the next Core update brings as that could surprise us :)

11. Depco

Depco Registered

VR works very well for me I have used it exclusively since it was made available. The resolution of my Rift CV1 is adequate and I can race as well if not slightly better using the HMD. Some tracks cause a slight bit of frame drops at certain points but not enough to dissuade me from continuing to use the HMD, over the triple 22" screens it replaced.

Incidentally, using the HMD, PC2 looks the same as rF2 so graphical updates don't seem to make much difference in the HMD since the resolution will not get much better (Supersampling notwithstanding).

My specs:
    AMD FX8320 (OC @ 4.0 GHz)
    XFX R9 290
    16GB Ram
    Win 10

I agree S397 should continue to develop and improve the graphics engine and VR integration, bot honestly, maybe some of the posters here should take a break from posting and do more driving. Enjoy what S397 have provided.

WiZPER likes this.
  12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I do not want to be particularly egotistical with what I am going to say.

- Each user has different expectations which results in specific prioritization wishes for S397.
    - For each priority desired by users, it seems logical to me that S397 to take into account the approximate percentage of users who want this development:
    *thus the users who wanted VR have a VR that works rather well. It's already great. But what is the percentage of rf2 users using VR? Not the majority (and this is absolutely not an indispensable aspect for a real simulation VS simulation physics / FFB / car content / realroad and other algorithms etc).
    *Another example: physics / FFB = maximum priority in the best simulation of the market AND covers 100% of the users ......
    *Another example: Graphical performance = essential in a simulation + covers a very big part of the users (ALL THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE GTX 1080 + PROCESSOR HIGH OF RANGE + RECENT MOTHERBOARD AND ALLOWING PCIE 3.0 X16 etc .....).

So it seems to me 100% logical and desirable that S397 has for the moment NOT chosen to improve the VR.

There is so much more important, strategic to do .... MAXIMUM priority over everything else should be physics / FFB ......

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I love Celica to and hosted it a long time but nobody joined the server. I have asked @Juergen-BY to convert Celica GTO v.1.0 to DX11 and he sayd that he maybe do that later. :) If you like to have this car online just shout me and I make a server;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Guimengo likes this.
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

I can't disagree more.
    Everyone have his own preferences but, to see everithing at the correct distance and size isn't less important than good phisics/FFB... In terms of simulation.

demerzel likes this.
  15. Miro

Miro Registered

Some Blanc Plain teams run even with slightly lower cold pressures than rF2 allows us with the GT3 cars.
    In case of the 397 GT3's the tire pressures are perfectly fine.

16. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

Dadaboomda does make a good point about the team needing to account for what updates will have the biggest impact on user base for prioritizing. But it's more complicated as some fixes/upgrades/changes need to be made before others can be implemented. And some take drastically longer to do. So it's a combination of balancing high payoff tweaks with resource management. That's what businesses do. And that's why we see paid DLC before some of these other tid bits so these guys can pay their team to keep going.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I had previously tried forming a league (killed by members due to their difficulty in pushing the car) and hosted a special event, with 2 weeks of publicity, and had 8 people show up for qualifying. Most of my rF2 videos featured that mod, especially if it was driving for fun instead of giving a driving glimpse. Hopefully in the future there will be time to update the basics of the mod so it's compatible, and even more hopefully, there will be some surging interest.

Ari Antero likes this.
  18. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

- We have to speak about priorities not preferences.
    - We have also to speak about developments which impacts most users (physics/FFB for exemple = all users 100%. How many users are using VR do you think ? 20-30-40-50 % maximum ?

Unfortunately you are too much subjective in this post (no offense, we're human ;))

We must reason both in terms of priorities AND both in terms of developing things that are USEFULL TO ALL (or at least to the greatest number.)

If S397 was a much larger team, even secondary priorities and developments that could be appreciate by a smaller part of the users could be done (improvement of the VR or improvement of the head physics that I wish and which precisely does not concern the VR .... you see where I'm coming from ;););)).

With all my respect.

19. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes. I agree with this point of view, but you spoke about simulation, and VR brings us closer to reallity than other aspects.
    And this is the target of simulation, no?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    WiZPER, vittorio and Bruce0440 like this.
  20. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Probably but we will see in the future ;).

I am sure that for you too, define the term "best simulation of the world" means :

- best technology physics
    - best FFB
    - Best algorythms like real road (very important in addition to physics
    - Best car content (relative to the physics technology)
    - Real track data with laser scanned (unfortunately not in rf2) : very important in addition to best physics

VS

- Improving VR functionnality which works relatively good and is using by less than 40 % of the community VS improving this functionnality in more delay and with less priority and more slowly (but during this time the most important can be improve [PHYSICS/FFB for example, which can be usefull to 100% of the community....])

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.