Massive stuttering after prolonged running

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Davvid, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Hi

Since about month or two my rF2 has developed very annoying problem. After running for long time (must be over 2 hours) whole game starts to stutter extremely. Frame times just skyrocket and it's not only 3d but whole UI too - even in main menu. If it happens during race driving is out of question. It's hard to even click any menus with mouse.

No hdd activity, no cpu load just this massive stuttering. Never happened before (over 3 years) and now it's 100% reproducible. Only solution is to exit and restart the game (until next time). I deleted all plugins but didn't help.

Anyone encountered such a problem?

2. lagg

lagg Registered

Do you use W10?
    If it's the case try to back to a previous version. I think it's called restoration point.

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Just an idea but i dont think it is that.
    - cpu throttling
    - gpu throttling

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Do you have Record Replays turned on? Could be the file size getting so big it's slowing the CPU down perhaps.

5. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Other possibilities:

- cpu/gpu temperatures
    - Scheduled Windows background process

6. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Thanks for your input guys. I'll reply collectively:
    - no Win10, I'm running 8.1
    - no throttling, it's definitely no hardware issue - checked with other tools in the same time.
    - no other software interfering
    - replays recording ON/OFF no changes - I was also suspecting...

The issue is isolated to rFactor2 only. I was suspecting plugins but it's the same case with all plugins removed (apart from 1st party ones). Unfortunately I didn't change anything hardware or software related in that period.

For me it looks like one of the S397 silent build updates (signatures and date of .exe files frequently changed lately, even DX9 ones).

7. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Running 32 or 64 bits? DX9 or 11? And can you take a look at your memory usage overall?

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I have something similar from time to time, racing in simracing-gp the oval league has a 75 minute time limit, always around 1 hour of race (which gives between 90~120 minutes of game running as I join practice) I get the cpu bar going full and the game stutter, but it is just for a few seconds. Lucky 3 of 4 times it happened we were under FCY, happens like a clock. Yesterday racing in my forum with BTCC @ Dubai also same issue but it is always for like 3~5 seconds.
    Never noticed any throttling or temperature issue.
    It does not happen always, had a couple of races that goes between 2h and 2:30h total time (practice + race) and it goes just fine

9. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

WIndows 10, 64 bit, 16GB, i7-7700k, GTX 1080. Massive stuttering from beginning with V1109 in DX11
    Very dissapointing oszilating 120 fps to 60 fps every 5 seconds down to stillstanding cars for nearly a second. (Mod Car BMW_E39_M5 on a DX 11 mod Track). Not driveable anymore. What's Wrong? Any Ideas? :(

10. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Pretty much have the same specs and the same sort of issue found that it was the Windows 10 creators fall update I have since rolled back and its ok again now....However the update is wanting to install again...

11. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Turn the updater off in services. I had that problem too with an earlier build until someone told me about the services thing

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

13. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Sorry I didn't list earlier. Running 64 bits / DX9. It's constant setting for me, nothing changed and the problem actually began in late August - exactly on SPA race in my league. First time I was sure it was some glitch and I moved on. But later I realized that it's a pattern. Same thing happen in replay mode if I leave it running for about 2 hours.

RAM usage is not a problem: about 6-8 GB out of 16GB physical when driving.
    I forgot about Ctrl+C overlay, next time I'll make screenshots.

14. lagg

lagg Registered

As @ebeninca suggested, have you checked the temperatures?

15. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Yes, as I said it's not hardware related. Other stress-tests/games show no sign of this issue.

I'll try yesterday's new NVIDIA drivers. It's a long shot as we see no one can confirm such problems but... we'll see.

16. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Ok you have no throttling (hope you're not wrong). Just to say (it can help other users), avoid throteling with more speed fans and maxium open the tower absolutely change everything for me. When GPU temperatures was 69-78 degrees NO PROBLEM and when I reached 79 degrees = HUGE DROP OF FPS.

Just to say it can help (everyone)