Im thinking about buying the United Racing Design GT and Prototype mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stubrier123, Oct 20, 2017.

1. stubrier123

stubrier123 Registered

Hi guys hope everyone on the studio 397 forum has a good weekend.

I bought the URD EGT mod and PX mod over the weekend and I'm very happy to have made the purchase.

Pros
    1. Better handling and physics then the Enduracers mos
    2. I can finally drive LMP1 cars around the track like the Porsche 919 and the Audi E-tron
    3. Stunning Cockpit

Con
    1. Very hard to see in Third person (But I can forgive that since I race in the Drivers view most of the time)
    2. Cars aren't licensed but there's a skin pack available for it Link: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/urd-skin-pack-for-enurance-series-proof-of-concept.12574/

So when you look at the cons it really doesn't effect the mod that much.

10/10

2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Good decision. When it comes to GT's there are a few I like more than URD's tho I still like them, especially the free Corvette, but PX is the best LMP mod out there.
    The Rebellion (Revolution 2015) is a masterpiece.

stubrier123 likes this.
  3. gabrielof

gabrielof Registered

I understand how excited you were to drive LMP1, those are sexy machines for sure and I love it as well.
    May I ask you what's the point to drive Hybrid cars in a game that has no hybrid features?
    Sorry for the offtopic, I'm just curious about your opinion regarding cars that are clearly not properly simulated.

BTW: GT3 pack is a must, go for it also.

4. stubrier123

stubrier123 Registered

I could have not said that better myself! So glad that URD was able to pick up the pieces for me after the dissapointment with the Enduracers mod. Another GT mod I would recommend would be the APEX GT3 mod while yes the cars may not very pretty but they handle a hell of a lot better then Simtek's GT3 mod.

Foresight likes this.
  5. stubrier123

stubrier123 Registered

Yeah I understand that RF2 is missing hybrid features for the modern LMP1 cars but that doesn't mean that I can't race LMP1 cars without them you know they handle well and there fun to drive which is the most Important thing to me when it comes to taste in RF2 mods.

Personally I don't expect the mod to be the best RF2 mod ever when I download it because there's bound to be a tiny detail that the developer has missed during the editing process. As long as the cars handle well and has fun AI to race against I'm a happy man. :D

gabrielof likes this.
  6. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I use only S397/ISI cars because physics/FFB are better.

But in terms of mods, I think apex gt3 is better than gte urd (when I used that mod I put ABS and TC off)

Just try

Edit : and it is free, dx 11, a lot of new versions etc

7. stubrier123

stubrier123 Registered

I actually have the Apex gt3 mod and its a lot of fun to race the cars. I think the handling on the Apex gt3 mod is just as good as the URD GT mod. Both mods are equally alot of fun in my opinion. :)

8. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

Just to know...why do you make a comparison between a GT3 mod and a GTE mod?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_GTE
    GTE cars are the new GT2 cars.
    If you want to make a comparison I invite you to do that between GTE URD and ISI Corvette C6 GT2.

BTW Apex GT is a good mod...but not so good thant the new rF2 GT3 in physics and FFB. But it's free...

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

URD is the best by far.
    nothing come close
    sad but true.
    i respect all modders for tracks and cars
    but URD mods are TOP.

10. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

Hybrid cars are "bastards". They need to be braked in 3 stages. Simdrivers have to know that. If you try to brake like a normal car you spin and die. There is no existing game or sim able to join at 100% the property of an LMP1. Not even AC. No need to brake in 3 stages, no problems due to a different map of battery recharge (F1 Ferrari have that).In addiction the physic engine of the..."sim" make it good initally, make you a hero but, we know, it is what it is. Missing meteo/daycycle make useless to drive them 'cause these cars has to be driven in these conditions. Sprint races are not for LMP1. Simracing has more important things to yearn than hybrid system...it can be recreated like a "push to pass" if they wanted to do...but all the other thing needs to be consinstently strong features. URD LMP1 are that. Also without hybrid system.

In recent future will be released 2 LMP1 cars in IR. That will be, probably, the state of the art and something to recreate in other sims...if they don't ruin everything for make them driveable for all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Foresight and stubrier123 like this.
  11. stubrier123

stubrier123 Registered

Amen to that. So happy I bought it

12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I know that ;)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  13. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

So why to make a comparison between them? I mean...for me the Brabham BT is much more fun than every GT3, Formula, sidecar simulated in every sim...but I can't make a comparison between them. They are different cars.
    What I've done some year ago was to try the ISI C6 GT2 and the URD C7...after that I bought the URD pack.

14. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

There are a lot of similarities and you know it very well. A comparison is possible on a simulation.

It's not like I'm comparing a gt3 with a nascar car .... think what you want

15. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

But they still different cars. Different Aero packages. Different power. Different torque. Different usable helps. Different in too much ways to make a comparison mate.
    The only possible comparison in rF2, for what you talk about, is between the ufficial C6R and URD GTE. And if you do that you can understand why the GTE from URD are so good.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  16. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Everytime i’m starting up the game i think: let’s try another car, because i’m kind of hooked on the URD EGT cars. But after trying another mod, let’s say 10 minutes i think...hmmm not as good. But...let’s give it another 20 minutes. After that i’m thinking, ok, thats enough, let’s start up the URD EGT mod again. But then the girlfriend shows up and it’s time to get the groceries .

Seriously,
    Personaly, i think the URD mods are the best out there.
    I like the Simtek GT 3 mod as wel, just like the new S397 GT 3 mod. Don’t give that much about eyecandy, but i like all the liveries of the Simtek mod, and the choice of 7 different cars. Apex mod is good also, but the use of older models don’t appeal to me.

The URD EGT mod has somehow a special feel to it. The cars feel a bit heavy, like it should be. The LMP2 car is great fun too, but whe need more models and not only the Oreca. For the LMP1 cars whe need a more evely balanced fuel economy, and performance between the Porsche and the Audi. Porsche is in need of far more pitstops in a longer race then the Audi.

Lu ManiaK and stubrier123 like this.
  17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

From what I have read and seen a well sorted hybrid cars power delivery is much like a petrol car but with some more torque on corner exit. I guess much like a diesel. The electronics are used to make it seamless for the driver. The last thing a driver wants is to be mid corner or corner exit and have to think "I better be ready, hybrid power is about to kick in"
    I know that there are various ways to achieve hybrid power: The Porsche 919 paid to use. Williams designed system that is essentially a dynamo/flywheel like those old fashioned toy cars that you push along then they keep going. Under brakes a clutch engages and kinetic energy is used to spool it up, on throttle it engages to provide drive. The Toyota has a battery etc.

In the final analysis the outcome is more torque on throttle and smaller (rear usually) brakes as the system taking energy suplements the retardation.
    Whats my point? Well as a driver you dont notice these things unless they break, you just get better economy and more power than you would have had from that ICE engine. When they break you get less power and overheating brakes (M/Benz Canada a couple of years ago).

So if you dont notice them and they are doing their thing back-stage as it were then, is it mission critical that this mega complex feat of engineering that gets the fuel economy is simulated?

In my opinion modeling the torque curve and fuel economy correctly is quite enough.
    Even the URD LMP1 correctly models the impact of 4 wheel drive as changing the torque split impacts handling (more front split more plough understeer).

Just an opinion from an interested bystander.

18. stubrier123

stubrier123 Registered

Hello Bhendrik,

Good to see you again on another one of my thread's.

But I agree while the URD prototype mod is a bit lacking in terms of the amount of cars it has. its still a decent mod to race in.

Both the GT and the Prototype mod are a hell of a lot fun then the Enduracers mod. Im really happy to try the mod. (Or as a typical Irish man like me would say "I gave it a lash". Which means I gave it a go.) :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    bhendrik likes this.
  19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, in the end is not like the driver is doing anything different, everything is automatic and mapped based on GPS and they still coast a lot (something I haven't seen being done in games). The system will even prevent giving the torque in points where the wheel would spin.

gabrielof and stubrier123 like this.
  20. Miro

Miro Registered

Even if the drivetrain technology would be available for prototypes or most hybrid systems for that matter without propper fuel economy rules in place the tech would be almost useless if you really want to emulate the racing experience in my opinion.
    To stay within the fuel economy rules dictates for the most part of the race the pace alongside the other usual factors.

EDIT: unless you pick up the telemetry of every driver and every stint after a 24h race :D

gabrielof and stubrier123 like this.