SOLVED Dump question from newbe. How to a painted car.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Paco572, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

Well I got me a car painted proper .dds file, but I'm stuck, I seem to be only able to generate a mod which installs but I can't use it. So how do I add a car to existing car set, to be specific DESF V10? I'll need a little step by step.

Sorry for being stupid, I'm a newbe at editing rf2

PACO

2. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

I get to the point where I have the ID number but I just don't know where to input it.

3. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

You know I spent the whole day painting my car only to find old videos using tools that don't exist, WTF!!!
    I GIVE UP!!!!!

PACO

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You seem lost as you can be...

1. Save your skin with the name alt.dds. enable dxt5 format when saving.
    2. Select any of the vehicles of a class using single player menu and press the tuning button.
    3. When the car appears in the spinner showroom press on create folder.
    4. Move the alt.dds file into the just create folder. It will be under userdata/player/settings/vehicle name in rF2 install folder and has in its name the number of the car you are tuning.
    5. Reload the tuning page of the car and you will be able to swap the skin to the one you created.

If you get stuck at some point say it.

Ari Antero, Lgel, GrimDad and 2 others like this.
  5. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

It really couldn't have been any easier...thank you so much, got 2 cars painted now. Many thanks

PACO :)

GrimDad and SPASKIS like this.
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I'm glad you got it working. You probably realized that in tuning options you can also create a new car with your name and number to be selected later within the normal list. It is an alternative to the above. Doesn't make much difference but it is nice to have it!!!

7. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

I can even edit some files in there, I got full control over it now. Thanks again.

SPASKIS likes this.
  8. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

Well I thought I had things under control but that's not the case and so, I could use a little help. I get the car to show up and I'm able to create a folder, my car is in there, alt.dds, a text file is also created out side the folder. Team name, number ect.. My problem is the car with my team name doesn't show up in the list. I have 4 cars painted, from 4 different car mods, all the same issue. Any help would be great.
    THX

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If I don't remember wrong, when you create a vehicle from the tuning menu, it will appear at the end of the list of the selectable cars from which it was created.

I hope it helps

10. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

Thats just it, it doesn't add to the bottom of the list. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

THX

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Did you edit something with notepad?
    Or is it failing straight after creating the new car/number/team from the tuning options?

I would erase all the rcd created files and its folders and start over.

12. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

Yes it fails straight after creating the new car/number/team. I tried deleting and same result. Oddly enough the first time I did it when you first helped me it worked fine, My Car name showed up in the list, ever since then, nothing in the lists, including the one that worked.

13. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

I need some help. I can paint cars, easy enough, have the psd files. I can install them into the game, worked out a small kink in that process, all is good, except I can't get the windows/glass which I have edited to be added to the alt.dds
    I've tried adding them to the folder, I tried making a mas file with all the glass added, alt.mas, renamed the text to look for the mas file but still no luck getting the windows/glass I've edited to work.
    Any help would be great.

BentleyGT3_17EXTRA0.DDS is an example of the glass file.

PACO

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

ALTEXTRA0.DDS

15. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

SPASKIS likes this.
  16. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Hey Paco, mind sharing how you sorted this out? I sometimes have the same issue. I created a few virtual drivers for the Bentley and it all worked fine, but for the Callaway and the AMG, they weren't showing up in the car list, even though the folders and files were right there. Thanks

17. Paco572

Paco572 Registered

When you "create" a new driver you have to fill in the blanks, like driver name, team name and so forth. The top box you fill in, is the one that creates the "file folder name". You can't have the same file folder name at all otherwise or you won't see the car.
    For example you paint a car and you name your driver name "Paco 1" it will create a folder called "Paco 1" The next car you paint you call it "Paco 2", the next "Paco 3" and so forth. As long as the folder name is different each time you insert a car you'll see it every time in the list, if you happen to repeat "Paco 1" you will not see your car you just inserted but you also won't see your "Paco 1" car you inserted way back then.
    In short, the file folder name for the car must not have a duplicate anywhere in the main "Settings Folder" other wise both will not be seen in the list.

Hope this helps,

fsuarez79 likes this.