Reflective cars

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Ricardo F. Edelmann, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Ricardo F. Edelmann

Ricardo F. Edelmann Registered

Hey Guys,
    I've got a question... I'm just helping out with a mod and there seems to be a problem with the reflectiveness of the cars. here is what it looks ingame:
    [​IMG]
    And here is a picture of the S397 Cars:
    [​IMG]
    White on the cars is way too reflective on both pictures but on our mod it's way worse. this only happens when headlights are shining on the car.
    Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Cheers
    Rico

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You need to check dev corner and read up on albedo maps. It will explain how to do it.
    Your white needs a mean value of around 185-195 not 255 which is what you probably have now.

Lgel, WiZPER, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Just out of curiosity. Is Assetto Corsa same thing? Do people need to make albeido maps to make everything look nice? What is benefits of having albeido maps? I understand that its something to do with physically based rendering, but why wont it work with basic textures? Is it because different textures need different kind of tweaking?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. Ricardo F. Edelmann

Okay, i just checked out the documentation for albedo on the rf page... the changes to the skin are already done. levels are down to 210 and saturation is -10.. so what else do i need to do? i'm a bit lost...

5. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Since it's happening with S397 cars, then it's an issue with the night. I wouldn't bother too much spending a lot of time fixing that issue, because it may (or may not...) be fixed in the future, and you'd have to rework your mod for this.

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have no idea about AC
    The closest the game rendering can match real world materials is to use mean value.
    Having the bloom is good as a lot of objects do have it on bright sunny days etc working out how to use it is the tricky bit. But alot can be done with the texture.

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

210 will give the white a value of 210
    Try levels down to 190

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You can use the rectangular marquee to select an area and get the mean value. Use that to check your white

9. Ricardo F. Edelmann

levels are now down to 187...

[​IMG]
    didn't really get better.. the area where the light stops hitting the car just looks really weird now

10. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I would recommend to go even lower than 210. Even if it's written in the guidelines.
    I'm mostly using about 180-190 for white color. Yes it looks quite grey in template, but looks realistic ingame.

I never use pure white (255,255,255) or pure black (0,0,0) for my liveries. Not in rF2 or AC or AMS etc.
    Pure white eats all the sun reflections and pure black eats all the shadows on the car. Imagine a car with with pure black (0,0,0) and a shadow falls on that car. How can a pure black get darker due to the shadow? It can't. The livery would look flat, because you lose all the contrast due lights and shadows.

Nibiru likes this.
  11. Ricardo F. Edelmann

that is true. but those are not my liveries.. i just have the DDS files and need to try to make it work for Dx11 because there is a race coming up and drivers who are using Dx11 because of VR are having problems with this. on my last screenshot you can see a white with 187.. still way too reflective...

Edit: i don't use pure black or white on my skins as well.. just as i said.. those are not my skins. those are the standard skins the modmaker got from someone else

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Check the colour of the alpha layer. You will have to play with that.
    I use a mid to light grey

13. Ricardo F. Edelmann

alphalayer is full black atm. i mean that could help with the fron being that weird but it won't help with the overly reflective part of the car or does it?

14. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Yes change it to mid grey and see the difference

15. Ricardo F. Edelmann

Used grey #737373 now in the alfa layer.. it didn't change an[​IMG] ything.
    [​IMG]
    this is the skin. white is 187 and alphalayer is #737373 completely. it does not change anything.
    [​IMG]

16. Ricardo F. Edelmann

Okay. I notice that it's better now when there is just one light source shining on the car. on the grid it's really bad but in the race itself it's okay.. but that's the same thing i noticed while testing the s397 cars. so is that maybe a problem of the lights in the game?

17. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You have now done the best you can do with the texture it now will be the material settings. Is it a 3 party track

18. Ricardo F. Edelmann

no it's Silverstone by s397. only the car is a mod. what could it be about the material settings?

19. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Car skin looks fine colorwise. I would assume, it's the used material shader on that car, which is different from the standard ones in rF2, and which is doing some weird things on DX11.

20. Ricardo F. Edelmann

well in 3dSimed i can see that "car paint with damage + extra layer is selected. which believe is/was a standard rf 2 shader right?