GT3 Car Pack price on Steam Store (BR)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erick Goldner, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Registered

Just want to see if the "overprice" on our store (Brasil) is a known thing and it could possibly be changed or is already defined as "is"!

Situation now:
    - The price for the base game on our store (Brasil) is currently R$ 63,99 !
    - The base game on US store is $ 31,99 !

- The price for the GT3 Car Pack on our store (Brasil) is currently R$ 55,86 (which is almost the base game price)!
    - While the price for the DLC on US store is $ 17,67 (almost half of the US base game price) !

As you can see, the price for the GT3 pack doesn't seem to be following the same conversion "rule" (if there's one) for the base game, which can/may cause some confusion for us (mostly that the Car pack is pretty much the price of the game itself)!

Doing a simple and direct rule of three, the GT3 Pack would be (if following the same conversion rule for the base game) around R$ 35,35 on our store.

Ps. 1: The same thing happens with the separeted car prices:
    $ 5,89 on US Store.
    R$ 18,62 on BR Store.
    Doing a simple and direct rule of three, one car only (if following the same rule for the base game) would be around R$ 11,79 on our store.

Ps. 2: Not complaining about the content or the value for the pack/car!
    Just want to understand why the prices for the pack/car uses a different conversion value.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Is it the same with other games? I can't imagine they have to set the price for all currencies, seems like it would be automated.

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

But wait, I just checked, and 18 r$ is only 2us$, so you're saving money.

WiZPER likes this.
  4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

What happens is that the base game has Steam currency active, that makes the games cheaper in many countries. In Brazil it is almost 40% cheaper https://steamdb.info/app/365960/
    In other games such as GTA V it costs almost 50% cheaper.
    This is not active in the DLC so we pay same 15 euros as everyone else, which is why it costs almost same as the game. I don't think S397 will active that to the DLC as there are licenses to be paid lol
    Honestly, we live in shit country and we gotta deal with it...

5. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Registered

I believe you confused something there:
    R$ 18 = $ 5,67 .

Oh, i see.
    So, if i understand it right, this (activate Steam currency) is a decision from the studio that releases the content (not steam)?

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, devs can also overwrite Steam suggested prices AFAIK. So it goes from each business model/license costs/player base size.

7. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Registered

Actually this is the base price for us since November 2015, probably due to what Will has explained:
    https://steamdb.info/app/365960/

When there is a local discount, it will even get lower prices (40% = R$ 38,39, 50% = R$ 31,99) !

8. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Registered

Yes, It is indeed a nice base price!
    But it can definitely cause confusion for a lot of people (shared the news Facebook and had a few questioning exactly this: "what's the logic in buying a pack that costs almost the game itself ?").

9. LightNMagic

LightNMagic Registered

The price for the base game in China is ¥ 100.
    The price for the GT3 Car Pack is ¥ 117, and ¥ 39 for each car.
    And yes, it causes confusion mentioned above for me while making decition to buy the pack.

10. Jon

Jon Registered

I think the "problem" is that it's not DLC. Both the base game and DLC content is priced (roughly) according to the GDP per capita of the countries' inhabitants (if the publisher chooses that is). It's the same in the Android Play Store. I've published some apps there and I can manually set the price for every country independently (which is quite tedious I might add), so I believe it's the same in Steam.

Since it's being sold as a workshop item then it's quite possible (although I don't know for certain) that regional discounts cannot be applied. Either that or Studio 397 chose not to offer a regional discount, simply forgot, or didn't even know they could. Other online retailers don't offer regional discounts either, such as Amazon, with the exception of the Kindle, where the price can vary considerably between country and country.

In my opinion prices should reflect the economic situation of each country; it will, above all, bring new players to the game (and fill up the countless empty servers) who otherwise couldn't afford it.

For more information on this the following Wikipedia page may be useful: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita?wprov=sfla1

EDIT: to find the currency exchange rate simply type the following into Google and you'll see that Erick was right:

5.89 usd to brl

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

It would be same situation if it was a DLC, it's up to the dev to choose if this will be made or not.
    Licenses are paid in euro and they dont care about a economic situation of a country lol
    If we all decided to make politicians work for us instead of us working for them we'd be able to pay less for stuff in our own countries.
    The only reason people get confused is because they are lazy to go look for information on why things are what they are.
    Kudos to devs that check that option, but I think it's stupid to do it. See AC DLC are way too cheap for the content, the base price is already cheap enough because they got like 500k owners on Steam, there is no reason for us to be paying 40% less for them IMO.
    Many countries also force they currency to lose value, creating all this situation. Here in Brazil we should be paying around R$30 for the pack, but we aren't because govt is artificially messing with it so we pay near R$60 ;)
    And it seems we aren't even paying tax when buying stuff from Steam... wait till they find out this is happening :D

12. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Registered

Although i do agree with some of your points, calling people lazy for something that happens pretty much on all of other games that have DLC's (AC, Pcars, even AMS) does not make much sense !
    I really don't think this case is a matter of how our messed up country or the problems from the others, since the same seems to happen on another stores as well !

What i was just looking for was a proper reason for it !
    But Like Jon said, this could just mean that Studio 397 chose not to offer a regional discount, simply forgot, or didn't even know they could!
    Does not seem that we will get an answer about it though.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

It feels "cheap" because you are converting british pounds to brazilian real. £1 = R$4,18 at this moment, expensive as hell. So your money multiplies a lot if you send it here. Living here is different, imagine if you had to pay 4x more for the cigarette in your country now, that's how it feels.
    We complain because we are paying 90% tax on many products (media use a different way of doing the math to say we pay 40%) ;)
    We basically work half of the year just to pay tax. The Steam case is more related to forced low price on our currency tho, if they let it roll €1 would be around R$2 instead of almost R$4.
    And sorry but beautiful women (I disagree we have the most beautiful in the world anyway) does not pay my bills and they dont make paying high tax (or expensive imported products due to govt interference) feel any better.