Update regarding the AI pitting unnecessary in wet weather

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jon, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon Registered

Basically, I'll keep this brief but I've made an observation. When I mix the Brabham BT20 with the Eve's F1 and F2, it appears that they don't pit when the full race is set to overcast/rain with 100% rain at Spa '66. When I race alone with the Brabham BT20 it's guaranteed that at least half of them will pit on the first lap.

To sum up, mixing up the grid with similar vehicles may act as temporary fix for the AI pitting unnecessary in wet weather bug.

Hopefully this information could help both other players but also the developers in isolating and consequently fixing the problem.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    SPASKIS and RoboCAT10 like this.
  2. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Nice find. Although won't work for me as I only use the FISI cars. Hopefully s397 will give us a fix for this soon. Marcel said that it will be fixed before the end of the year on discord. Fingers crossed.

I'll give your solution a test later and give an update :)

Jon likes this.
  3. Jon

Jon Registered

Hope it helps and let us know your findings. You can try adding one non-FISI AI car to see if that makes a difference.

4. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Sadly this didn't work for me. I tried racing the FISI2012 with the Fr3.5 however still had this bug happen. On lap 3 half of the FISI field pitted for new wet tyres, where as the Fr3.5 cars stayed out.

5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I tried this again but with the Eve F1 as you did. The cars (Fisi2012) all started on inters. On lap 1 and 2 all of the field (bar 3 cars) came into the pits to change to dry tyres, while it was still bucketing down with the rain. Those on the dry tyres were much quicker than those on the inters and had an insane amount of grip considering the weather.

On lap four, the remaining 3 cars came into the pits but chose the wet tyres. A lap later all the other cars who were on dry tyres decided to then come change to wets - which stupidly was the slower tyre at the time.

Four laps later all the runners came in again for a fresh set of wet tyres. Five laps later they all pitted for wet tyres again. Five laps later after that they did the same. Rinse and repeat. So silly.

Out of curiosity have you tried testing this again to make sure it wasn't a one off? Cheers.

6. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I'll just add on the following. As I said above the AI will start on inters and move to dry tyres at the end of the first lap. However, if I then go 'restart race' they will change to the wet tyres after the first lap. So it's like they need a second go at deciding the best option.

SPASKIS likes this.
  7. Jon

Jon Registered

I did notice it a few times, on different days, which is why I reported it. When it was only the BT20 half are guaranteed to pit on the first lap, when they were mixed with the Eve F1 and F2 cars they didn't, at least not for the first three laps. I couldn't check any further because I was at Spa '66 and on every second or third lap there would be a crash ahead of me and I always end up hitting the debris, ending my race (the AI at the historical Spa are over-aggressive and take unnecessary risks especially considering it was raining, and when driving close behind it's impossible not to get caught up in the wreckage).

But what I'll do is load it up again and park my vehicle (but not exit) and just watch them do 5 laps and let you know the outcome.

Just to clarify, the settings used were:

Weather scripted set to Overcast/Rain, at 100% probability of rain for each of the five sections of the race. This is one of the default scripted weather settings, just keep clicking right to find it, and do it manually for each section.

Brabham BT20, Eve F1, Eve F2.
    Belgium 1966

I would like to get this fixed as well especially because the new rain effects are coming. I'll do the test now and let you know.

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  8. Jon

Jon Registered

I think I've got it: there has to be three different cars competing.

I first tested the three aforementioned vehicles, and while only five actually completed the full five laps, nobody pitted. The cars that crashed just disappeared obviously from too much damage.

Then I removed the Eve F1 car, so the race had just the BT20 and the Eve F2. I watched as nine cars crashed on the first lap, but interestingly four out of the remaining five cars pitted on the first lap, without any apparent reason.

So, I'd add two non-FISI2012 cars and see what happens. Perhaps there has to be three different cars running for them not to pit. I think you'll only need to add one car of each, since there was only one Eve F1 car racing in my first test.

SPASKIS and RoboCAT10 like this.
  9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

That is interesting. Although I did try the Eve F1 and the F2 with the Fisi2012. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Only if you want and have the time, is there any chance you could also test it with the fisi2012? I'll try again with the cars used in your example and see what I find.

SPASKIS and Jon like this.
  10. Jon

Jon Registered

I just did a test with the three different Sparks and me in the Brabham, but six pitted on the first lap. Although it's not clear whether they were involved in an accident but made it back to the pits, or whether they pitted needlessly, but I suspect the latter. It's not really the best circuit to test it on though, although quite entertaining seeing the various ways the AI crash (one actually got a tyre stuck beneath it and continued driving then suddenly did a "back-flip" into the cars behind!). But I've already spent two hours this morning testing it and still can't confirm anything :( If the developers have said they'll fix it by Christmas (two months) then it does suggest it's a deeply rooted and well hidden bug.

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

lifelong old Isi motor bug.

12. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Lifelong? It was only a year and a half ago this bug didn't exist?

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You guys are being very thorough in researching the bug, but I would not count on these methods to be successful once the full update is released. The hoped for update should include some sort of rain module that possibly will cure the problem. [or even create a entirely new set of bugs] I guess what I'm trying to advise is this: Finding a work-around solution to the present problem might be wasted effort if the update cures the rain bug.

SPASKIS, RoboCAT10 and Jon like this.
  14. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Does this bug happen with just the AI using 'wet' tyres or 'inters' too? I had a thought that what if we can make the AI race only inters and not wets. Of course I am assuming the bug doesn't happen with intermediates as I have only ever seen the problem with wet tyres.

15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ive always had glitches and issues with ai in wet weather, since ive had rf2. \This is nothing new unfortunately

16. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I wouldn't hold your breath on a fix for this any time soon. I asked Marcel on discord when they might look into it. This was the answer.

Honest answer: no.

Disappointing to say the least.

17. Jon

Jon Registered

Someone on here posted a quote from Marcel on Discord saying that they'll looking to have it fixed by Christmas. But I doubt it'll come with the new rain effects, as those appear to be mostly graphical, whereas the AI pitting is related to code.

I found the three cars mentioned in the first post here fixed it at least for me, so it's worth experimenting with different cars. Alternatively there may be an option somewhere in a config file that disables pitting all together.

Maybe it's a simple change, like the number of cars racing, or any of the settings that influence the AI, or maybe in the driver talent files or even the race length. I've made some amateur games using Unity3D and bugs often originate from a single setting that, once disabled or changed, fixes the bug.

But it would just require testing each and every setting which takes up a lot of time. Just practicing with the AI can be good, but not really on short tracks. Longer ones they don't pit as often and you can race them. Not an ideal solution, but at least you can get some rain racing practice.

I'm sure the new wet weather effects will highlight the problem to other players and in turn make it a higher priority. Online participation is still poor, and poorer still is the online servers in the wet in a car you want to drive.

Pity, because seeing the driving line gradually dry looks great. There's a great app on the Android Play Store called Dashmeter Pro rF2, it shows (among many other useful data) the rain severity and the wetness both on and off the driving line. Maybe that could be used for further testing.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

In reality it's simply showing most and least wetnes, usually paddock area being wettest, and raceline or under a bridge being the dryest.

19. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I was playing around again with the AI on the wet. Same Fisi2012 and same tracks. This time, and for the first time in ages I did not encounter this bug. Rather than the AI pitting for fresh wet tyres every 5 laps, they instead pitted for fresh wets every 23-25 laps, which is a lot more normal.

I am now mystified why all of a sudden this is now working properly, I changed no settings whatsoever. This is absolutely fantastic if this does continue to work properly, I will be over the moon. However I would like to know why this works so we can avoid the bug in the future.

Has s397 done a hot fix that hasn't been announced or what? There is one difference I did notice though - when I loaded up the game it said that my items or downloads had not been synchronised with the steam workshop (or something like that). Could this be it? I have no idea.

Jon likes this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

More testing Robo. Try other cars(probably S397) and tracks. Best of luck