Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

As Kokomo I feel rf2 os going worst in my Rift with the time. It need another optimización.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If performance is getting worse for some (it's been the same for me since the last Build update on 7/07/2017 *by "same" I mean decent performance) then maybe a GPU Driver has caused it, or perhaps an update to the Oculus/SteamVR apps. Either Rollback GPU drivers or wait (shortly) for the next Build to be released, it certainly doesn't make sense that RF2 has got worse when there's been no updates to actually make anything worse, therefore it points to other areas potentially causing issues.

Emery likes this.
  3. Arturcik88

Arturcik88 Registered

i found solution for my self for better FPS. For some another sims like assetto corsa,RBR or simcade like project cars, dirt rally i was using debug tool for better resolution and i was putting 2.0 or 1.5 and if before starting steam vr and rRfactor 2 I don't open oculus debug tool and don't change it to 0 i was getting horrible FPS and doesn't matter debug tool open or closet. So now before starting Rfactor2 i always cheking or in debug tool is 0 and with stock content or good optimized mods always stable 75FPS on high,medium settings.
    Sorry guys for bad English.

4. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

My dk2 freezes up every time I try to launch rf2. Anyone have any suggestions? It runs fine with pcars2 but not rf2.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Do other SteamVR games run ok?

6. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Project cars 2 is also a steam game. But when I click on play it gives me an option. I can play on a monitor, with HTC VR or oculus VR. I click on oculus VR and it runs fine. Rfactor2 gives me an a box that says it will run on both the monitor and headset. And I can get to the screen where you can select single player or multi player options etc..... But once I click on single player the rf2 logo pops up in the headset and never goes away while the monitor loads up fine.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not sure on pCars 2 but it may not use SteamVR which is a standalone app from steam which RF2 uses. Do you have any other games that specifically use SteamVR and do they work?
    Try verifying RF2 files and SteamVR files as well.

8. elbo

elbo Registered

In the launcher, under the gear icon is the video settings, there is a pick list to choose only HMD. Try that option maybe.

9. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Something dawned on me tonight. I won't get a chance to try it out til the weekend. But in the video settings where you can check your resolutions, which version of rf2 your running and so forth.... Well there is an option that says (enable VR) I think I have that unchecked. I may have to enable it there for it to work on the headset.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

Also make sure SteamVR is active.

11. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Ok my thought didn't work. Steam VR was on, in the videos settings VR was enabled, made sure it was set to hmd only, I verified the integrity of the files, made sure the dx11 beta was what was Running. All for not. Still will not load up in VR. It used to, back when dx11 first came out I don't know what changed.

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

If i remember right i had to go to steam, right click rfactor 2, go to properties and to untick the "Use desktop game theatre while steam vr is active" to make rf2 work in vr.

13. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

OK I will give that a go tonight. Thanks

14. Depco

Depco Registered

This only makes it not render on a flat screen within the HMD if I recall correctly. but unchecking it wont hurt.

15. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

My PC is telling me rf2 does not support vr. I have v1108-dx11-open-beta as the version running so I don't get it.

16. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

I think there's a VR version that you need , but not sure......there might be something you have to do

17. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

So I clicked on the rf2 desktop shortcut icon instead of opening up steam and suddenly it worked. Sometimes as awesome as vr can be it's so not worth it lol

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ignore the no vr support message in steam.

19. Depco

Depco Registered

The message relates to the "launcher". That does not get rendered in VR. Once you hit single or multiplayer buttons the game should start rendering to the hmd.

I am hoping the launcher goes away with the new UI. It is an antequated system that I think is uneccessary today.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've been asked a few times recently to post my Settings for VR (Rift CV1), here's what I'm using currently bearing in mind it's mod/track dependant (like always):

Driving the McLaren 650S vs 29 AI (A mix of Enduracers Mod & McLaren 650S) on a dry track @ Bathurst DX11 version.

AA = x2
    Post Effects = Low
    SuperSampling = 2.0 (Set in SteamVR, Rift set at 1.0/Default)
    ASW = Fixed to 45 FPS

20171014100011_1.jpg

Specs:
    Windows 10 64bit
    i5-3570k @ 4.20Ghz (overclocked from stock 3.40ghz)
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G (Stock clocks)
    8GB RAM

I get a few slowdowns at Race Start but nothing undriveable, after a few corners things settle down and I get a constant 45fps for the rest of the race. ASW is fixed as Auto sometimes creates unwanted graphical defects and "shudders" in framerate, for me 45fps is just fine to race in anyway so it's no bother.
    (I use Fixed in Elite Dangerous as well now as Auto causes major stuttering in that game when it never used too previously).

TheMattyOnline and vittorio like this.