Project CARS 2 Review

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by BlazingGlory53, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Skan

Skan Registered

Along with Honda's (Acura's) NSX, some of you are to blame for the money I just spent and the 35.2 gig download. :) I'll link my steam review here if I write one. Positive reviews only so if there is no review that means I have probably uninstalled it.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

60 and still playing a video game my friends tease me about at 51 here. Well it's fun and I get to talk to guys like you who went to your first race in 1967!! That's way up there on my cool meter.
    About the only thing that I can think of to complete would be seeing mini nitromethane tractor pulls in the 70's. These Briggs and Stratton 10 horse motors would hit some god awful RPM and then blow the hood off. There would be pieces of engine block along with other things raining down on the track feet from where we were sitting. A few decades before people started get killed from debris at events.

What a time!!

As far as PC2 goes after 20 some hours I have had a few disappointments tonight. Go carts, ice track and the one that sent me straight back to rF2 was the Lotus 49 on Spa 1966. As great as PC2 is it can't touch historic Spa for graphics and pretty much any open wheel particularly the F1 Spark for physics and FFB. In PC2 defense I don't know if anyone will ever out do these two together.
    The rest of it is worth the money to me. The new cars are well done like the street Corvette and most other new cars. I think it's some of the original cars that need reworking for sure. Looks like they are doing lots of up dates.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  3. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Just spent 2 hours fighting against a McLaren 570S in Laguna Seca and I'm wanting to go back for more two hours. I'm avoiding AI races and race cars so far, just learning how the game works and how the road car drives before to step up to faster machines.

Yeah, rF2 has better physics, but I'm loving the immersion PC2 provides. Just attached a 1080 ti and set all maxed plus some serious off-game antialias, I can say the ideal game would be the rF2 physics plus PC2 everything, even to navigate the menus are a pleasure.

And, the rain! The puddles which remains after the rest of the track dries out and you must avoid them to not spin. This is weather realism.

SMS deserves congratulates.

Steve Olden and vegaguy5555 like this.
  4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I would say PC2 has elevated to the "magical moment" threshold in line with sims like rF2, AC and AMS. Sure they all have their strong points.
    One of PC2 strong points is being a chameleon. There are guys in AC setting PC2 to feel more like AC. I guess I did the same but I made it feel more like rF2, which it does to a point.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  5. bwana

bwana Registered

N
    Nearly 60 !!! Oh what else did you say ;)

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

7. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I said that I have met some guys that I considered to be friends, I didnt say all of them lol......there are a couple of smart arses, especially the ones that live down Queenscliff way. Apparently they consider themselves to be good sim racers, But I haven't actually seen that yet..........:)

bwana likes this.
  8. FatCity

FatCity Registered

This a good review but he does compare it a lot to Iracing.
    Not too much mention of Rfactor 2. I bought the game yesterday and must agree with a lot of what he says. But even if I had seen this before, I am glad I bought it and have been enjoying it. It isnt really comparable to RF 2 in a lot of things and better than RF 2 graphics wise, ( they have had a bit more time with DX 11 so it should look better anyway ) but I didn't think the FFB was bad, its quite good and I didn't spend hours setting it up. I have a G27.
    All in all it has a few bugs but still worth it at least until RF 2 gets all the new updates and something else besides GT 3 mods, there's enough of them already.

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

Lol , lm a hack , you must be thinking of Menace

FatCity likes this.
  10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

100s of cars has never been a selling point for me,I just see it as a lot of copy and pasting physics wise,I've seen enough videos for me to make a conclusion,Specially with the drifting at the end of boxes vid,it doesn't look to good physics wise.

But sure it ticks a lot of boxes for many other folks

11. mark7

mark7 Registered

One week in and still enjoying Pcars 2 as a fun driving game and I would liken it to a modern GTR2.
    No change in Rf2 being my go to simulator though!

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Watching EB's review just confirmed my desicion not to buy the game. There is so much stuff that looks like a flashback from PCars 1 that I can't understand how people get along with the game and give it good reviews. That players are still not able to choose the opponents and cars in the game and that rules and penalties are a complete mess is a no-go, especialy when we are talking about online competition systems. Maybe I will pick it up in a sale as a GOTY edition, but for now I will wait. Maybe they get the patching done this time around.

13. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

I have clocked now around 13 hours in pC2 and it surely is an infuriating experience. It is not infuriating because it is a total mess, like its predecessor, but mostly because it does so many things right and has so many features implemented, but at the same time, so many of those awesome things are simply so half-assedly executed that instead of a complete experience we get something that has everything, but does nothing exceptionally well. It's even more infuriating when you realise that if more effort would've been put into the game, most of the issues most likely could've been solved before the release. I don't know why pC2 is again released in a such incomplete state. Maybe the pressure from publisher just forced SMS to put the sequel out before Forza 7, or maybe they are just trying too much and the resources just aren't there. Who knows.

pC2 is still far superior to pC1. Even the worst cars on the roster handle better than any of the vehicles in pC1 and I think not the least because of the greatly improved FFB. When you find a car to your tastes and a track where AI works well enough, pC2 is very enjoyable racing game. At the moment it is just so uneven and undeniably rough on the edges, that it is hard to recommend it to anyone at a full price.

It is difficult to give overall rating to pC2 by comparing it to other racing sims, which also tend to be lacking seriously in one or several aspects (and yes, that concerns rF2 too). pC2 has lot to offer, but besides visuals, it offers very little that is well executed. I guess it is just so utterly mediocre with all the bugs and badly working features that it deserves a solid 5/10 at this point. I'll happily update my review a tick or two upwards if most of the worst issues are solved through future patches.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I just have to say I like PC2 before saying this.

Graphics, road mesh and FFB are very poor when comparing Historic Spa's while driving Lotus 49 and F1 Spark.
    But having said that even AC doesn't do well here but that is a mod track in AC so maybe the road mesh wasn't top notch.
    Still I'm surprised how good rF2 can look. I would pay a lot to have all the trakes to this level.

As for the rest of PC2 is very good and worth the money for me.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

historic open wheelers in rfactor 2 are the very best sim cars in the whole of sim racing imo
    their twitchiness really shows off the depth of rfactor2

in comparison iracing's & AC's versions seems like poor offerings
    I imagine PC2's version are same

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I guess we all should be making videos of this. No disrespect to PC2 or any other sim but this is rF2's stranth not that S397 should stop working on other aspects.

17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

I played assetto corsa and raceroom experience the last few days and i felt like i m downgrading myself.
    gonna try pcars 2 to see how it looks like.
    RF2>all
    thats the truth

Adrianstealth and vegaguy5555 like this.
  18. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I will preface my comment by saying I am not a physics guru or racing car expert - but...
    Some of the cars in Pcars 2 really don't do much for me - especially quite a few of the road cars I've tried.
    But some of the good racing cars have a really good level of handling & control - in terms of my ability to control them, as they get close to their handling limits.
    I had a couple of races on the weekend in GT1 cars and Group C that were really enjoyable.
    The level of feeling through my budget steering wheel (Logitech G29) made it very fun to control the cars as they shimmied, slid, drifted and wheel spun into and out of corners. If you own the game I recommend the McLaren F1 GT1 & Mercedes AMG CLK-LM GT1 cars and the Sauber C9 & Nissan ZX-Turbo GTP Group C cars.
    Those 4 are very fun to drive. I'm still exploring other cars and some I've tried and just thought they were average and not very fun to drive. I find a lot of the slower cars pretty dull.
    GT1 or Group C cars at Imola, Monza Classic, Bathurst, Hockenheim, the Nurburgring and Sakitto are a lot of fun. I've mainly been focusing on online play - often hosting my own P2P session, as often I can't find a fun car & track combination in the online game list. Online play is easier & more flexible for me than RF2 - in terms of either finding a game to join that appeals to me, or setting up my own session - which is what I do most often.
    I'm not saying it's better than RF2 - it's different, but with the right car & track combination - it's very fun and immersive.

patchedupdemon and vegaguy5555 like this.
  19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

let's just say.... not any sim is king of all sims. Some do things better than others some don't

mesfigas, vegaguy5555 and muz_j like this.
  20. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

People, play it or don't waste your keyboard doing virtual reviews. Make opinions based on third party videos is waste of time.

marmagas, andrea_274 and vegaguy5555 like this.