Project CARS 2 Review

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by BlazingGlory53, Sep 20, 2017.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Have to agree about Jack's files. I went back to raw after trying them all.

emha76 and Korva7 like this.
  2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I wouldn't be. Easier to understand in the case of old Spa, but if Monza is very far off, it would be hard not to want to fix it. Which begs the question: how hard might that/those be to fix? I don't know enough about PC1 to know if it's "moddable" at all, and certainly not PC2

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I am under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that raw FFB mode is intended for higher end wheels?
    i.e. stuff with direct drive motors etc.
    ...and I suspect that my Logitech G29 might not like it...?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

for me i found immersive or informative better (cant remember what on elol) but i think pc2 has is frustrating points (and events) and i hit one last nite, enough for me to do "a jimmy" and turn it off. Who (SMS) picks a gt4 class event to be raced at cadwell lol

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Yeah the GT4 race at Cadwell is just.. nosense! I ragequitted after 10 attempts :oops:

Another nosense thing is that you need to win the qualification championship to proceed to the main cup, a podium it would be better.
    Of course the fact the AIs become 10 seconds faster when you skip the session is the most frustrating thing, i really don't want to waste 90 minutes in qualifying for 3 races in the Clio Cup.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Alessio Feletto likes this.
  6. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I see some people complaining about the lack of accelerated time and abandon season option which are useful indeed but if you are a true simulator man you have to deal with no time machine available:)

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This has nothing to do with "true simulator man" bs (based on this logic a sim should lock and only let you drive on weekends at the scheduled time, isn't it?). It's about how much time available you have to race. Plus time acceleration solves most problems with the AI when instead of skipping a session you use time acceleration and let it end.

8. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Very polite answer, thank you. :rolleyes:

rF1 and rF2 has issues with "End Session lap times bug" since immemorial times, so I think you can manage it at least.

FuzzyFassbender and Ari Antero like this.
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've read quite a few reviews and countless forum posts on this game including a few peoples views that I trust, all that I've read confirms what I was gonna do anyway and that is to wait for a Steam Sale. Hopefully by then a few Patches would've addressed the Bugs and what not.

I already have RF2 & AC to keep me thoroughly entertained and busy (amongst a growing list of other Steam games!) so I'm in no rush either.

Thanks to all for your viewpoints in this thread :)

bluet, vegaguy5555 and ECAR_Tracks like this.
  10. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

What can I say.

Nearly 4 hours of banging my head against a wall with a particular car/combo in rf2 and I needed to vent on track.
    I've given in and bought pc2!

Now I can see why so many bad reviews hit instantly on FB.
    This game/sim doesn't do itself justice out of the box, which actually really suprises me. Vanilla as downloaded, and the physics/ffb are incremental improvements over the first game at best.
    But, as is the case with most of these sims, the devil is in the detail.

The first thing I did was stop playing and go read actual facts from people on the PC2 forums and quickly came across the new Jack Spades files.
    Standard Mid files selected, I headed into the ffb settings and adjusted to suit my preferences. A really nice feature, which is common to many of the options, is you can pause on track and adjust things instantly, carrying on from where you paused with new settings.
    I have ffb which is remarkably similar to rf2 now. Not as good. Not as detailed. But close enough to really enjoy driving the cars.

VR. What can I say. I tend to say it alot ! But native Oculus support is so nice.
    No more faffing about with SteamVR.
    Just fire up PC2 in Oculus mode and it just works. Perfectly. As does every other sim that uses Oculus mode (AC, iracing, PC1/2).
    SS adjustment in game. Clipping box adjustment in game.
    This part I was expecting to be good after the first edition of the game. It doesn't dissapoint.

Performance is very good, even on older hardware like my FX8350.
    If you have a decent I5/7 cpu and a 1060/70/80 this game will run perfectly at high settings.

AI is about what I was expecting. It's not that it's terrible, but we really have been spoiled in rf2. Nothing comes close to the AI here, and PC2 is no exception.
    That said it works, and is perfectly adequate for casual offline play.

I'll sum up, as I don't want to write a wall of text!

Will it replace rf2 for me? No
    Will it be a sim I play a lot? Yes
    Is it worth the money and should you buy it? Yes

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  11. Balles

Balles Registered

Everyone has his opinion, mine is the perfect sim is a mix of rF2 and PC2. And I like them both.
    ISI (they did the hard work) should work with SMS for us having a rFPC3 in 2 years !

vegaguy5555 and FuzzyFassbender like this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks matty

Interested to see what patches/updates come

Not sure if slightly mad continue to develope or they'll move to the next title

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  13. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

If you take a man for his word, and of course some won't, they plan on tweaking/bug fixing for at least a year. Also, according to a source they have one developer that is exclusively working on improving the AI. Supposedly some glaring issues have already been fixed in the next patch.
    I have to give credit where credit is due. I didn't hold much hope for the next iteration of PC but boy was I wrong - drives and feels completely different than the first. I tested a number of cars one by one by switching between AC and PC2. I was actually surprised how similar they felt, most seemed to exhibit some of the same traits. There were a few I preferred in AC but most I preferred in PC2 - tire models seems deeper, easier to tiptoe on the limit of adhesion, and the immersion was better in PC2 for me as the environments are more alive. Had to stop and listen at times, could hear a stream running in the background, helicopter in the distance, etc.. The day/night/weather transitions are very immersive. I haven't tried most the "game" type features like career, racing in snow (not for me), dirt or ice racing, etc. but so far I'm impressed. Also the interface is much improved over the first, I'm waiting patiently (well not that patient to tell you the truth) for the new rF2 UI. Now if PC2 had rF2's AI, of course that most likely will never happen as many have tried and failed!
    I think many of the worst issues are related to the console versions (controller support, graphics issue, etc.), looks very good and performs pretty well on triple-screens for me (TM TX/T3PA/TH8A - i7, GTX 1070).
    Between rF2 and PC2 I not may race my others that often.

Adrianstealth, bwana and vegaguy5555 like this.
  14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I look at AC's PC2 review once in a while and I am surprised at how generous you guys are in comparison, especially considering rF2 is more realistic.

I guess we must be an older group?

bwana likes this.
  15. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

At the beginning of the video you mention something about a default physics setting "loose" and "stable". I looked but can't find it. Where is it?

Thanks!

16. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Maybe the basic nature of pc2 ffb and physics is more similar to rf2 than to ac, so the jump from ac to pc2 feels more weird.

17. F1lover

F1lover Registered

I think he means in the Race engineers set ups.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  18. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I bought too.
    Graphics are amazing as expected.

I'm still struggling with FFB, going to try the Jack Spade files. With FFB out of the box, I got horrible rattling on T500rs and lack of traction information. Lack of self centering and a bit of old PC1 felling when the car refuses to go straight, waving from one side to another on the road.

Physics are convincing. Rf2 and AMS are much better though.

Weather is impressive. The puddles gathering on lower and plain terrain amaze me.

No regrets, much better than AC to me.

19. FuzzyFassbender

Chose "Load Setup", you will see 2 to 3 - Loose, Stable, and sometimes OEM.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  20. FuzzyFassbender

I did most of my comparisons between AC and PC2 for one reason that rF2 has less cars in common - I wanted to use official content, not mods. First off, I'm not going to say the PC2 physics are on par with rF2 but last night I did compare the McLaren 650s between the two. Again, I was surprised how similar they felt (with my hardware/config/setup), similar handling traits for the most part. I actually liked the PC2 car as the on-throttle rotation felt a "little" better - less floaty for those couple seconds. It's neither here nor there as what works/feels for me may not for the next but overall these cars seemed to in the same ballpark on the physics and FFB (rF2 more noise around center). I've found the PC2 "raw" FFB settings pretty good out-of-the-box but may prefer the "custom" with Jack Spade std/mid settings for most cars (Thrustmast TX/T3PA/TH8A).

vegaguy5555 and ECAR_Tracks like this.