Getting a crash on startup-please help.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by David O'Reilly, Sep 24, 2017.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hi,
    When starting RF2 today it crashes a moment after trying to updtate steam subscription.
    The screen goes quite white apart from the small window telling me that it's doing that action.
    I havent changed anything since last playing 2 days ago.

Plugins I run include:
    Motec, Deltabest, realheadmotion, dashmeter Pro.

Thanks for any ideas???

details are........
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Launch rFactor.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 597efd69
    Fault Module Name: Launch rFactor.exe
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 597efd69
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000f07e5
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

UPDATE:
    Unsubscribing to all steam workshop items allowed it to start.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

You've solved the issue yourself it seems - at least at a high level.
    The fact that subscribed game content was updated prior to the crash and you hadn't changed anything else suggests it's a update to subscribed content that's gone bad, which can be difficult to diagnose.

I have had something similar a couple of times with mods that have either updated themselves, or older content that's become incompatible as a result of game updates (the classic case being the dx11 beta). In those cases RF2 would attempt to start, display it's very initial logo, then I'd get crash to desktop and the RF2 process would terminate.

It can be quite time consuming to diagnose depending on how much content you've got installed.
    Working backwards in time to figure out what changes have been made to the game is the general idea and looking at file creation dates and modification dates can be useful if you get stuck (I have a few scripts for that sort of stuff).
    If all else fails, removing all 3rd party content from the game (after making a list of it first), then reinstalling in chunks and testing the game through trial and error is a good method that usually works.

Trace logging within RF2 might be able to highlight your problem - discussed at the link below:
    http://simhqmotorsports.com/index.php?/topic/9963-help-rfactor2-trace-files/

or using file monitor from the sysinternals toolkit and working backwards from the last files accessed by the RF2 process would also likely narrow things down a lot.

...in your case I would work through your subscribed content in batches until you isolate the problem(s).

David O'Reilly likes this.