Track Loading Screen to help tracing for bugs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SPASKIS, May 31, 2017.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is quite common when making the first steps in modding, to get stuck because the track (or car) won't surpass the loading screen provoking rFactor 2 to crash without giving a clue about what could be casuing the crash.

In those cases it is important to have some type of methodology that helps locating the faulty item(s) which are causing the crash. In many of these cases, the only clue available is where in the loading screen the crash occurs.

For this reason I have created a loading screen which I hope could be useful for amateur modders. For sure track modders have it easier to implement it than car modders that would need to overwrite Joesville' loading track in dev mode or modify a track including it for single player mode.

I have myself located the marked events by introducing bugs on purpose that would cause a crash or simply provide an error message. In other words, I don't know in detail the exact loading sequence rF2 uses. I grant for sure that devs know better than me the exact loading sequence and where in the progress bar is represented each step.

Hence, I will be glad to be corrected or provided with more relevant information to further improve the loading screen. Feel free to make your comments...

In the image you can see how I introduced an "error causing flag" within the scn. If a crash would occur prior to appearing this message, it would mean that the faulty item is located before the "flag" I introduced. I hope it is clear enough. I thought this exmaple helps understanding the last paragraph of the image.
    upload_2017-6-1_0-40-44.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Good idea! I hope developers jump in with info as for now it is surely very rough.

SPASKIS likes this.
  3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I've got a mod we use at our LAN events. It was working fine but I installed DX11 and now it crashes rF2. No message about GMT or texture errors. I get a log for the crash that I've studied a number of time but can't seam to find what's causing it. Like I say, It was working fine with DX9.
    A better way of tracking down error issues is badly needed.

I have totally removed rF2 and re downloaded the full 11GB plus all the workshop items so it's a clean DX11 install. No left over DX9 residue but the mod still crashes rF2.

4. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Thx Spaskis;)

SPASKIS likes this.
  5. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Very clever man

SPASKIS likes this.
  6. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Great idea,

Thanks!

SPASKIS likes this.
  7. philrob

philrob Registered

great work, many thanks

SPASKIS likes this.
  8. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I am definitely going to be using this to test how well the Chapman Track Creator compiles rFactor 2 tracks.

SPASKIS likes this.
  9. shiet

shiet Registered

What is between SCN end and AIW start?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I didn't figure it out. Maybe devs know and want to contribute...

11. shiet

shiet Registered

I'm asking only because it seems my track spends a lot of time around that point. :D

SPASKIS likes this.
  12. Garitt Gibsn

Garitt Gibsn Registered

Great idea, I used it right away, it works great