Night Lighting problems

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SimoG, May 5, 2016.

1. SimoG

SimoG Registered

I have some problems with night lighting. Some objects were not fully illuminated, but had portions that remained dark. I managed to solve it by splitting the object but small objects, such as the turn distance signals, remain in the dark but, closer to them give a "flash shot" and back in the dark. I read that objects can receive light maximum from 20 different sources, but there is 3/5 sources around.(Omni and spot options are checked)

What can I do?

Thanks

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Try only omni's and see if that makes any difference.

SCN entry on omnilight should look like this

Light=NightLight00
    {
    Type=Omni Pos=(91.625214, 8.500000, -49.468407) Range=(0.000000, 100.000000) Active=True Intensity=(8.000000) Color=(255, 255, 255)
    }

3. SimoG

SimoG Registered

All the lights of my scn are set as your example. Or with "Try only omni's" you mean to uncheck the spot option in the exporter? I will, in any case, also this test.

thanks

Edit: Test Done, Did not work...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  4. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I would guess the issue is on your signals GMT themselves. The normals are pointing to outside of the box correctly? Is there double faces?Try to create a simple object as a box and apply the same material, put in the scene and check if this new generic object is responding correctly to the omni lights.

5. SimoG

SimoG Registered

I checked the object several times, no double faces and normal are properly oriented but I never thought to remake the object. I try and tell you.

Thanks

EDIT: redid the object, but unfortunately not work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

It looks like the GMTs for brake markers do not have "Lit at night" activated, the "omni" tick box in the 3ds exporter. And yes, for some odd reason objects which are NOT supposed to recieve light, will behave like this (on/off)

7. SimoG

SimoG Registered

No, they have it, prejudice to possible bug gjed. But I do not think, because if I remove the tick to omni, they do not light at all. They are not the only objects that suffer of it. Both types are marked as movable. It could be the problem :confused:? Maybe, after I try.

EDIT: I forgot, if you want to try the track to better understand, find it here

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I think I've actually seen this behaviour before, please try to use a plain and simple T1-shader, no specular or nothing.

9. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Hi.
    I'm already use T1 Shader. I checked the setting of the specular and is set to black

[​IMG]

I have not tried it yet to remove the movable setting. As I try, maybe I try to change the specular?
    I will keep you updated after these tests.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I dont believe that this problem is related to the moveable feature. I would advise to take a distance sign from annother track, including the texture file and test this.

11. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Good suggestion, Juergen :). I try for sure, Let's see what happens.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I have tried to download the track but racedepartment site is out of service atm (Following a hardware failure we are currently working to restore our systems).

I wanted to check two things:
    1)if the light instances are in the top of the scn file before recalling the gmts.
    2)if the visgroups property of the object has been correctly written in the scn

13. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

SimoG, i've a bit off home work for you. :)

Soft and hard edges...

All your objects have soft edges. The cubs that flicker have soft edges.

Here is a video with 2 cubes. One with hard edges, one with soft edges.
    To create Hard edges, you select those edges and "deatach" them from eachother.

example with mixed soft and hard edges are your concreet walls: the top edges (horizontal left and right) need to be hard edges. The side (vertical edges) leave them soft, so the curves don't look like blocks.

The pit building, unless you've rounded walls, all edges are hard edges.

I think this will solve the flicking cubes too.

BTW: There is still a little bug with gJED. The ingame texture filtering doesn't work with gJED .gmt's. It's also noticeable on your track.
    You can override AF x16 with the nvidia profiler to view your track in all its glory. Hopefully it will be fixed with next gJED release.

14. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

This in blender:

First option split by angle! Smooth with an angle won't have the same result in gJED or it's a bug. 1 vertex can have only 1 normal in gJED. So you'll need to split/detach the vertex on the edge.

Or this:

Option 2 mark the hard/ sharp edges and split them with the modifier.

or

Option 3: edge loops for rounded edges, but this creates extra geometry .

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  15. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Many Thanks :). Now I start to study your suggestions.

16. shiet

shiet Registered

I would like to know if there is a solution to this problem?
    I have small billboards and cones on my track, all of them on the ground and they don't lit at night for some reason. At least not all of them, some yes, most of them don't. Some of them blink...
    I figured out something: by default these objects are moveable (in the .scn moveable=true) but if I set them to not moveable (moveable=false) then the problem disappears. WTF?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  18. toebee

toebee Registered

That is strange. I was just adding moveable cones and signs to a track last night and didn't have this issue. Also tracks like NOLA work fine for me as well. How do you reproduce it? Is it only a problem with a really long line of cones? Maybe it is because I am on DX11?