rFactor 2 and McLaren - World’s Fastest Gamer!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 23, 2017.

1. RNelson

RNelson Registered

I am certain they are building rF2 specifically with and your league in mind.....

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Do you think our league is the only one using the McLaren and realtime weather plugin?

Can't I ask about a missing relevant feature from DLC content and when it is thought it will be introduced?
    Should I assume that future DLC will be published missing relevant features?

Regarding your comment, I have already given my opinion about priorities. If you are interested in it go and find it.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. RNelson

RNelson Registered

You are as free to comment as I am.....

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I wish

5. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I understand people see rain driving as a challenge and the real weather plugin as realism or something.
    In reality, rain driving is a nuisance more than anything else.
    IRL you will enjoy racing in the rain, it's a nice break to the rigors of dry racing.
    And probably think that you would like to do this more often.
    Then the track dries out, you put on a pair of slicks and, having got used to the slippery surface of a wet track, all you can think of is "oh my f**** God, this is the s**** right here".
    We "need" wet tires as a well as more dry compounds.
    But first of all we need the whole package to come out and for cars to hopefully excite people and be at least as good as the 650S, which I feel is quite exciting to race.
    After that I'm sure they will be fixing the lack of different tires issue, wipers not working etc etc, just need to be a little patient.

marmagas likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I too think people get more excited about rain than they should be; that excitement dies when they're trying to keep the car on a slippery wet track for most of a race.

On the other hand, I think people want rain because it happens in real life. As do raindrops. As do wet driving lines, tyre punctures, body damage, hybrid systems, KERS, brake heat transfer to tyres, minor mechanical or electrical failures, sparks, cumulative engine wear and performance degradation, rules limiting tyre and component use during a race/weekend, rules mandating certain tyre use during a race/weekend, ...

Had plenty of good cars come out over the years. Not a lot of the above though. (and I feel like I've missed at least one more obvious one... but can't think of it..)

7. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Absolutely.
    But I feel they also want rain because the greats such as Ayrton and Schumi excelled in the rain, they really made a difference with their skill, Senna in wet conditions and Schumacher in mixed ones were unparalleled during their time.
    And everyone want to show that they are the rain masters.
    But then again Thierry Boutsen, the Belgian, was also fantastic in the rain, most likely because he barely got to see a dry track in his country back in the day.
    Also I understand the calls for more realism, that's something that could at least get developed gradually and in parallel with new content.
    Maybe S397 feel the RF2 core is already good enough and it's time to cash-in with more and more content.
    But, truth be told,their resources remain limited and it's not like they have made a s***-ton of cash already from selling virtual content.
    We've had a lot of good stuff coming out lately and everyone keep pushing for more :D

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Could it be drivetrain and clutch :)

Lazza likes this.
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We were just discussing this on the Discord channel the past day or so, the way in recent years each Sim Dev has continued to push Tire & Car Physics but as yet no one has really gone all out to add in all those other details. If anything Reiza have been the only ones to really show glimpses of that with what they've added to the rFactor engine with AMS, which bodes well for Reiza18/AMS2 but again its a distant dream right now and nothing more.

As good as it is to continually improve Tires/Physics alongside stronger home computing components that can handle the needed CPU cycles, it's beyond time for a Dev to grab the Sim Racing genre by the scruff of the neck and bring in all those items you mentioned and much more, ya know actually make a Racing Sim a Racing Sim not a Bit Part Express like what RF2 has been up until S397s takeover. RaceRoom is arguably adding in more details but until recently that didn't even have simple Flag Rules in the game, AC is a mix of Road & Race which is fine but doesn't have a lot of features RF2 has (and vice versa), not sure what pCars2 will offer and GTR3 may well be limited to just one race series but will it have all the bells & whistles associated with the Real Life counterpart? time will tell.

All those little extra details add up to make a greater bigger picture and I find it a shame that no Dev has really gone for it yet, as above the only one that looks like providing that currently is Reiza.

10. marmagas

marmagas Registered

MacLaren 650s and the GT3 pack were a very nice and entertaining surprise!
    The whole WFG was a big success without big words and advertising,low profile high level of work!
    Yes we need wet tires,wet races,drying line and all about weather.
    But first thing that has to be perfect is DX11.
    Everything has to do with it!
    Even new UI depends on dx11.
    It would be a bless if we had WFG with the new UI and of course real weather.
    I dont mind not getting the pack until the end of September but its crucial to get perfect dx11 by the end of Sept.
    I think everything will be a lot easier aftrerwards.
    Then comes new UI,so to stop worry about plugins like trackmap,and after that the rest of the gt3 pack and wet tires not only for this pack but for all the cars.(drying line and grip...)
    All these things take a lot of time,i think we have to be a little patience here and show trust and positive vibe.
    I put a lot of laps for the competition,like the car a lot and Marcel said that update will come.
    There a lot of things going on now and by the end of this month will be very hard to be accomplished.
    There is also Radical update pending and please dont forget the historics!
    Serious work and responsible behavior happens here,be patience!

Bozak likes this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You beat me in this. :)

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Some of the mentioned missing items seem more relevant than others from sim racing simulation point of view.

Punishing bad driving attitude should be the main goal in a sim IMO. It is acceptable to script for this things and probably the only way to go. In some cases it is sufficiently well done as for engine. We all know the mechanisms that affect its life. RPM and temperature. However other aspects are unpunished.

Tire punctures for excessive wear, driving on debris, collisions with other cars, stressing excessively tire sidewall... should be simulated. We see it in most of the real racing series. It has ruined many races and adds a component of emotion for pushing the car ahead when it is difficult to overtake.

Gearbox should have a lifetime.

Brakes should have a lifetime conditioned by brake temperature multiplier affecting the amount of friction work perfomed.

For sure visual damage and raindrops add realism but are secondary in comparison to driving related issues. We already have rain and car damage.

13. RNelson

RNelson Registered

All for under $100 US???

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL. Why not?
    In fact some of the things Spaskis mentioned where present in rFactor 1 and thrown out (or better: not yet implemented)
    in rF2.

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Wait, so if you get your tires to 0% nothing happens? Didn't this exist in rF1? I remember a race in SCE where I lost after my tires got to around 10% wear left, both rear tires blew up or something like that
    Was this one

Tho this was using Enduracers physic so maybe they just have a huge grip drop at that percentage? I don't know :D

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Exactly, nothing happens except for the grip decrease that is written in the wear table.

I wonder if tyre tool permits using zero or really low internal pressure in order to generate lookup tables or if the simulation fails to converge.

The quasistatic approach is already doing a remeshing every x steps so I don't see a major reason for it to fail. The only extra thing that might need to be accounted is that inner wall gets to be a self contact boundary condition which might need some extra coding.

If it would converge, programming a slow puncture or even a tire burst should be quite straightforward.

17. RNelson

RNelson Registered

I think the reason no one has done them (or arent currently doing them) is the business model just doesn't work. The software houses have limited resources. The list of things to accomplish far exceeds the resources available. My hunch is the developers would like to do them too.

18. Comante

Comante Registered

I would not say "nothing happen" . For starter, how much this condition impact driving is modder decision, and for what I've seen, far before reaching zero, performance is so deteriorated that the chance to crash in a barrier are quite high.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's exactly what his whole sentence said :D

To expand the tyre simulation to cover edge cases like punctures, and doing the same with other areas of the game, seemed to be the ISI method. It meant that what they implemented was pretty comprehensive (and potentially difficult to mod) - such as the turbos. But it also meant not a lot got implemented. Turbos could have been badly modeled but much more quickly implemented (and easier to mod, albeit in potentially unrealistic fashion), and the same could be done for punctures, dirt/gravel pickup, more detailed damage, and whatever else you could name. This isn't years of work to put something in place - it's years of work if you insist on doing it properly.

I wish they'd do it quickly now, and move to 'proper' implementation over time as they see fit. The all or nothing approach gives us a lot of nothing and a little bit of 'wow'.

TJones likes this.
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah, see the way Reiza added flatspots and dirt on tires. Simple but works. I wish ISI had chose that way back in the day, in the end most people (and it's a huge majority) aren't worried about how it works at all as long as it works, if people cared that rF2 tire model alone would be selling hundreds of thousands copies. The simulation part would be much more complete now and the focus could be somewhere else