SOLVED Thrustmaster T500rs doesn't work in rFactor2 but works in other games

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Cliff Lyijynen, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Cliff Lyijynen

Cliff Lyijynen Registered

I recently got rfactor 2, but wasn't able to get my wheel to work in game. The game detects my set-up correctly and i can make my own key bindings for everything else except the steering input. When i turn my steering wheel, rfactor 2 doesn't detect any kind of input. My wheel works in other games and in windows 10.

I've already tried reinstalling all my drivers and firmware, plugging in through usb 2.0, enabling and disabling the generic controller config support (in steam big picture mode) and verifying game integrity. Still nothing. I'm running out of ideas.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Can you tell me what other USB hardware you have hooked up?

3. Cliff Lyijynen

These are the only devices i've connected to my pc through usb:
    - Thrustmaster T500rs
    - Thrustmaster TH8A shifter
    - Steelseries Rival mouse
    - Qpad Mk-80 keyboard

4. Christopher Elliott

Can you try unplugging other devices except the wheel base, and try again to assign steering?

5. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

It looks exactly the same problem I had with my new steering wheel TS-PC
    I didn't get any solution here but I get solved by myself.

Problem was that rF2 see your T500 in Joy2 or Joy3 input, see that in the list of assigments. My solution was with good luck, because I loaded T500RS profile and I saw that rF2 detected my steering wheel as Joy1, and also Icould assign rigth and left direction to the steering. Then I did a mix editing steering wheel profiles of T500 and TS-PC in Userdata/Controller/ and save a file with all controls assigned, and it works perfectly.

6. Cliff Lyijynen

I got my wheel to work! I only plugged in my t500rs without the pedals and shifter. I'm not sure if this helped, but i got it to work the same way as Miguel. rFactor auto detected my wheel as Joy3, which didnt take any input from the steering, but i loaded the presets for different Thrustmaster wheels until it set the steering in Joy1 and now it turns my wheel! The preset that worked for me was "Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer". The rest of the key bindings i shall just bind my self!

7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Stuff like this makes rf2 look amateurish,they really should do away with profiles and just have one main calibration function.

8. Christopher Elliott

We have an update coming in for the JOY issues, should go out with next update.
    @Cliff Lyijynen glad that worked out for you :)

mesfigas likes this.
  9. br444m

br444m Registered

Will this also fix the non-functioning auto steering rotation setting for certain thrustmaster wheels?

10. br444m

br444m Registered

Any updates about an upcoming fix? Here, controller setup broke again after trying to switch to VR. With every change I make it tends to mess up the t300 config. Crash crash crash crash. Instead of racing I'm debugging during my spare time, and the devs are focussing on providing more eye candy. Not the right priority IMO, since there are basic things broken that need fixes.

11. kerryland

kerryland Registered

> We have an update coming in for the JOY issues, should go out with next update.
    Still needs work. I have a T300 that rFactor 2 stubbornly refuses to understand how to control. Everything looks OK, but I can't actually turn left. Every other racing game (and I think I have them all) work just fine -- consequently I am playing every other racing game.

It's a shame because I quite enjoy playing with a particular group on Tuesday nights. No need to worry though; I think I've got them convinced to try something else.

:-(

12. Christopher Elliott

Have you assigned left and right inputs? You will need to assign both, just assigning one doesn't automatically assign the other.

13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

for unknown reasons the control panel of my T150 change to T500
    many bugs with thrustmaster wheels
    But i never had problem play the game RF2
    i just had the fist time i install thrustmaster drivers to enter game choose thrustmaster profile exit game reboot computer and magicaly everything works.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Calibrate in Windows before starting rF2. Verify in the ADVANCED properties tab that your wheel is the first item listed. If you have a gamepad or 3rd party shifter or pedals, those could be interfering. Only after ensuring the wheel is the first item shown should you start loading rF2/ Then once rF2 is loaded, go to the control options and click on the icon that identifies the wheel.
    Then assign left/right/gas/brake etc and save that profile. Finally test the wheel and pedals choosing min/max locations. You should be able to see the graphs change as you press the pedals and/or turn the wheel.

15. kerryland

kerryland Registered

Thanks! That was exactly my problem. It certainly makes it look like the 'other direction' was automatically detected, but apparently not. When I explicitly told rF2 that the opposite of 'right' is 'left' my wheel started working as expected.

16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Good to hear you, actually @Christopher Elliott, got your wheel sorted.
    I must admit I had a good chuckle when I went back up the page to read your first post:
    Just a word of warning on the T300, I have a mate who has two T300's die.
    In the T300 driver software keep the FFB strength around 60%.
    This wheel has a history and it's not a good history.
    Make sure you have the latest drivers etc installed.