[WIP] Chapman Track Creator

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by TChapman500, Dec 10, 2013.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Sorry about not getting an update out this week. I've been rather busy and I forgot to update you guys. I have been working on the track editor though and I'll hopefully remember to update you guys this coming Friday.

Oddonis, bravotangosix and SPASKIS like this.
  2. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Looks like I forgot the update again. Here's a quick one: The primary functions for manipulating the arc are finished, but not tested. And the rendering engine is not functional due to a violation of the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" rule which I am now trying to rectify. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Oddonis likes this.
  3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Here's a video using the Sandbox track editor to show you SOME of the behavior you should expect from the viewport of the Chapman Track Creator. No audio, just text commentary to explain what's going on.

Sergio Loro and Oddonis like this.
  4. Oddonis

Oddonis Registered

Sorry mate , im not that technical and i dont get this but hope is pointing you the right way . Is it?

5. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I didn't think it was that technical. Sorry.

Time for the progress report (notice I did not forget this time). Most of the time spent on the track editor this week has been spent rebuilding the rendering engine for the track editor since I messed it up so badly by trying to improve it. I'm not making the same mistake twice, though. And hopefully I won't be making any new ones either. Not for a long time at least. Anyways, one of the things I'm going to do differently this time is to make it so that the rendering engine can be given model data from the outset. This will hopefully make up for some of the time I lost trying to repair the rendering engine. Then it will be on to creating the editor-specific shaders and programming the viewport.

Also, I'm going to attempt to do a livestream on Sunday, September 10, 2017 on my gaming channel starting at 2:00 PM Eastern time. The purpose of the livestream is going to be an AMA-type setting which will not be CTC-exclusive (gaming-related only please). Here is the link to my gaming channel, which will host the stream.

Juergen-BY, Sergio Loro and SPASKIS like this.
  6. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress report time:

Not a whole lot of time was spent on the track editor this week. What was spent on the track editor was spent rebuilding and testing the rendering engine. The partially rebuilt engine works and I've been implementing a system to allow models to be loaded into the rendering system. This new system is already looking promising, but that's what I've said last time. But last time, I went about it in a way that was basically a reinvention of the wheel. That's why I needed to rebuild the rendering engine. I'm not making that mistake again, and I can already see the benefits of the new method that I'm using.

I've also been spending some time testing the livestream system to make sure that it won't crash on me, and I haven't noticed anything that would cut the stream short unexpectedly. Let's hope that stays true during the actual stream. By the way, I put the schedule of the stream on YouTube and this link to the stream should work (42 hours before the stream).

Sergio Loro and SPASKIS like this.
  7. Traveller

Traveller Member

I'll try to be at the stream.

TChapman500 likes this.
  8. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Here are the results of the live stream:

Sergio Loro likes this.
  9. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Look what I found on my Google Drive! It's a progress tracker spreadsheet that needs updating (which I just did update). According to this spreadsheet, I'm about 15% finished with all the features and about 40% of the way to the Open Beta.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XgzSnxoSdPh9p7uZ6CySWGhaS1EloHTNpT96cTLXMK8

Okay, I adjusted the completion estimate for the beta to about 47-50% overall completion. But that also (and I'm NOT joking or being sarcastic) just happened to land on 40% of the way to the beta. Anyways, I added some new fields to track the progress towards the earliest projected beta release (in percent) and the latest projected beta release (in percent).

10. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Time for another progress report: All good news this time. The rendering engine can now load models dynamically and render them, and I just have to add a few more API functions to allow the Chapman Track Creator to send model data over to the rendering engine. I'm also rebuilding the shader implementation so that the model data can be rendered correctly and so that the Chapman Track Creator can send over its own shaders. I still need to implement a camera object so that you'll have something to move the view around with, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Oddonis and SPASKIS like this.
  11. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I'm a bit short on time now because I almost forgot to give you the weekly update. I've been busy this week and haven't been able to work that much on the editor. In addition to that, I was preparing to release my first game on Steam only for something to come up that will delay the release by about a month. Also, I got stuck on the shaders again. If anyone reading this thinks they can help me out, send me a PM and I'll give you more information on what I'm trying to do. Anyways, the first post has been updated.

SPASKIS likes this.
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The screenshot links in first post are dead. Maybe you want to include a couple of shots with latest version ones.

13. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

That was from the migration of the rFactor 2 forums from ISI to Studio 397. I'll have to take some new screenshots.

SPASKIS likes this.
  14. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Time for the weekly update: I've done almost no work this week on the track editor because I've been very busy with other things. However, I am now able to pick the pace of the track editor back up. And I think I've found a solution for my problems with the shaders. I don't like it though.

Sergio Loro and SPASKIS like this.
  15. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress Report Time: Progress is slow-going this week and I think I may have over-complicated things again. I'm also still trying to figure-out how to implement the shaders in such a manner that will allow the track editor to use its own simulator-specific shaders. Other than that, there's not much to report on.

EDIT: By the way, you can follow me on Twitter now @TChapman500

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    SPASKIS and Sergio Loro like this.
  16. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I know Friday is usually the time I update, but this one is important (and bad news): Visual Studio decided to compile the track editor in a way that it no longer works. I reverted the changes that I made to the editor to see if that would help and it did not. Visual Studio absolutely refuses to compile the editor in a manner that allows it to work. So now I'm forced to create a new solution and basically start over. Thanks for the "updates," Microsoft!

The good news (we like ending on positive notes, right): I figured out a solution to my problems with the shaders. Just make it so that the track editor uses the same graphics API as the selected simulator. So no more bloated rendering engine code. The other good news is that I still have code from the now non-functional editor build that I can use as a reference for rebuilding the track editor.

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Restoring the system to a prior state and using a backup of the project won't help?

If you lost all your job, you better find the cause or it may happen again!

Sorry if I misunderstood something.

18. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I didn't loose any data this time around. And it was because of Microsoft's "updates" to Visual Studio that I need to "restart" my project. Except, because I still have the original code, it's not a complete "restart." Plus, my coding skills have improved since I started the project.

SPASKIS likes this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am glad to hear that apparently it will just be a question of retyping many things which hopefully will also be improved due to your greater experience after working with the tool.

Remember that if you need some testing, opinion or anything that requires final user feedback count on me.

20. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Thanks.

SPASKIS likes this.