Rear view mirror problems in GT cars with Self In Rearview set

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by JohnB, Jun 24, 2017.

1. JohnB

JohnB Registered

I've just started using VR (Oculus Rift) with rFactor 2 (which is brilliant - many thanks to Studio 397!) and have been experimenting with some settings I've not used much before on my old single-monitor setup with very limited field of view.

I found the problem detailed below in VR when trying the setting:
    "Self In Rearview":"*",
    in player.JSON to show the car's bodywork in the mirrors. The viewpoint seen in the mirrors seems to be from too far forwards - from somewhere above the bonnet area - and, for the side mirrors, too close in to the centre too.

I found the problem using VR, but switched to a non-VR windowed mode to create the screenshots and the problem is the same in that, using the latest DX11 beta build (as at June 23rd). I don't know whether the same problem exists in the DX9 build or not.

Here are some screenshots to illustrate the problem, all taken from the Camaro GT3 2013 in the pit garage at the Autodrome of Portugal (all Studio 397 DX11 content). Similar problems were seen with some other vehicles that I tried, but I'll concentrate on the Camaro since that is the one I experimented with the most.

The first screenshot shows the mirror view with Self In Rearview set to "", ie. the default, and shows the back of the garage in the centre mirror and the side wall in the left mirror:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=953292057

The second shows the same view with Self In Rerview set to "*":
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=953292164
    The centre mirror shows a view from outside the car, with the strip across the top of the windscreen showing at the top and the back of the rear view mirror in the middle, obscuring the view. Not ideal! The left mirror is showing a view from too far forwards and too far inwards too, looking back through the windscreen to the side.

I tried various mirror adjustments to get round this. The Ctrl-Alt-F7/F8 mirror position adjustment looked promising - Ctrl-Alt-F7 moved the centre mirror view back towards the real mirror position, but at it's maximum adjustment of -500 units it's not moved quite far enough, and the back of the mirror nearly fills the view:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=953292281
    I tried setting it to more than that by editing the
    MirrorCenter=(0.000,0.000,0.500)
    setting in all_vehicles.ini to more than 0.5, but that didn't work either.

I've found a workaround for the centre mirror - setting
    "Rearview_Front_Clip":1.0,
    (the default it 0.5) clips the windscreen and mirror when displaying the mirror view and seems okay for the centre mirror:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=953292449
    The side mirror is still showing a view from inside the car out through the side window though, so certainly not a perfect solution.

I would have experimented by looking at the package files to see whether there's a simple adjustment in there, but I think the relevant files are in the camaro_car.mas file which is encrypted.

I would say this is quite a low priority bug, since the Self In Rearview setting can just be switched off, but it would be nice to have it working, especially if it turns out to be a simple adjustment.

Spectator6 and MaD_King like this.
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I turned self in rear view off as various problems with many cars

3. Spectator6

Spectator6 Registered

@JohnB Yes, I agree! I hope they get these issues sorted out too, it would be such a great feature to have working reliably and properly. It just adds another layer of immersion, especially with the mirror perspectives being "live", able to adjust for head movements, etc

Jego likes this.