Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. sharjeelr

sharjeelr Registered

Hey mate, did you get around this grey flashing issue. I seemed to get a lot of these last night. I have 2 sensors btw.

2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

@Vega: Adrian meant to say "good cooLing." CooKing something is what you DON'T want to do. :D

[simple typos can be pretty amusing sometimes]

mike.m, sherpa25 and Adrianstealth like this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I can't remember now sorry, they stopped just as suddenly as they began and I tried everything to get rid of them, RF2 still the only game that I suffered with so no idea what was causing it :(

4. sloppo

sloppo Registered

so can we not run any plugins at all then in VR? i'm using htc vive.
    i just would like to run an app that tells me my pedal positions + ffb meter for clipping, like i do in AC/iracing.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don't use plug ins but agreed those features are good to use (as I did in iracing)
    hoping they get integrated so no hassle of plug ins !

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Currently any plug-ins that write to the screen will not work in DX11, plug-ins that don;t write to the screen work just fine (like the brilliant Crew Chief app). I'm afraid patience is the only thing we have until S397 bring in new plug-ins or whatever they are working on specifically for DX11, frustrating yes (I need that FFB Clip Meter the most!) but certainly not the end of the world.

sherpa25 and Adrianstealth like this.
  7. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

OK, that's it (Ctrl + backspace), thanks all.

But it's undriveable for some reason. The Oculus headup performance tool says 80% headroom one moment then the next, even when stationary, it's spiking like crazy. GPU is 1080 ti and the Windows task manager says the CPU (4790k) isn't doing more than 30% activity at those times. I've had no performance issues in iRacing or AC.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Performance seems to get better with every new build/update

Rfactor2 only recently went VR compatible

Just run low settings & step them up a tad each update -exactly what I've been doing , track detail low helps & I don't really use 3rd party tracks most of which run awful & are low quality

9. DaveS78

DaveS78 Registered

My new build is a 7700K + 1080ti + 16GB RAM and it doesn't run RF2 in VR very well (compared to AC and iRacing at least). Most settings on low to medium, no AA (or FXAA), post effects on High and supersampling at 1.8 (using Oculus Tray Tool). I can't monitor the framerate but it feels smooth with just one car on Silverstone during the day. Still has a couple corners where it stutters quite a bit though.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As above VR in RF2 is still in its early stages so it's unfair to compare to both AC & iRacing that have both had VR for a long time, saying that since the first Beta Build the performance in VR has greatly improved but of course always more room for improvement.

DaveS78 likes this.
  11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

@MarcG, what's the max SS you can use now (OTT or SVR)? Trying all maxed settings and ASW (fixed 45fps).

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Depends on the situation but currently 2.0 in SteamVR SS (OTT 0, locked to 45fps) with 20+ AI and High Settings seems to be just fine for me, I could push higher SS with single car on track if I wanted but I generally only have time for quick races so it sits at 2.0 for now.

Edit: I've noticed the OTT Lock to 45fps doesn't work and I have to manually (CTRL + Numpad 3) do it in RF2 & Elite.

sherpa25 likes this.
  13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think s397 been busy on this worlds fastest comp. stuff , hopefully much welcomed optimisation updates will start again

14. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Download 650s , nice work--------- BUT-------- its like a toy car ---- really need an adjustment in game to increase world scale or something similar please .

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It might be cramped in the real car ?
    They will have dimensions spot on,
    I doubt a VR 3D problem

16. Narrowbackwing

it is a VR problem --- imo , the car is way to small in VR , and many others cars are the same problem , strange thing is the Nissan GT 500 feels perfect to me , I just wish we had an adjustment in car .

17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I don't notice this.

That said, some sims have a real world scale adjustment. I think Raceroom has this if I remember?

Might be useful to fine tune to personal preference.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've not noticed any world scale issues in RF2 at all, I wonder if it's to do with the Lenses adjustment or something for some people?

19. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

No, this wasn't happening when I first tried rF2 VR. Something odd most be going on now if I'm stationary on the track and the debug tool fps shows loads of headroom then suddenly there's a couple of seconds of crazy spiking taking me well below 90 fps. The cpu isn't doing much as I said, and the graphics aren't changing.

iRacing VR was pretty good from the start actually - I was running a gtx980 until recently.

Btw, Fwiw, I have confidence in the rF2 tyre model (more than iRacing's), but the graphics have always been my issue. Seriously, coming from iRacing, the rF2 lollipop guy isn't even funny now.
    For those who haven't seen the competition:

DaveS78 likes this.
  20. Narrowbackwing

I can understand some people won't notice this , it all in the eyes of the beholder I guess , but if you sit in the car and try to visualise the interior surroundings , and then imagine you're in a real vehicle , it just doesn't feel right for me .

Also it may have to do with RaceRoomRacing , and pCARS 2 both of them allow you to adjust the size of vehicle , I wonder why ? ------ I personally think it's to do with when they design a vehicle for monitor play it reduces in size visually when in Vr .

I'm surprised nobody else notices this , or it just doesn't bother them , or my vision is failing :) anyway just need World Scale ingame control--- added bonus.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017