Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

I did run rF2 (and SteamVR) and only OTT earlier, (and even AC), no OHome. Actually haven't even run OHome today.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If you start SteamVR Oculus Home runs as well.

3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

I just run Oculus Home (w/ Store, Account and Library, etc), and Task Manager reports Oculus Client, w/c didn't open earlier when I run rF2 (SteamVR) and AC. In other words, running SteamVR didn't run Oculus Client. Perhaps semantics, and you're referring to OVR Service.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No, when I run SteamVR Oculus Home automatically starts up, again it uses bugger all resources so I just leave it as is plus it's handy to have already open for native Oculus apps :)

5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Weird, mine doesn't open w/ SteamVR, and doesn't seem to be needed to run rF2 or AC. I only open OHome when I need to run other Oculus apps in the library.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Maybe you clicked a setting somewhere? Last time I played AC it didn't need SteamVR, but that was a while ago now.

mike.m likes this.
  7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

AC does have native Oculus Rift support, so no need for SteamVR

MarcG likes this.
  8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Hmmm, dont know too, but it hasnt caused any problem since I got my rift. Why I thought Oculus Home (have to run manually) was used only for the Oculus Library games, as I never run it for AC (run only OTT.... yeah, AC doesn't need SVR) nor for rF2 (OTT and SVR only). Oh well, anyway, just wondering :).

MarcG likes this.
  9. PaulG

PaulG Registered

If you check your registry, Oculus is always running. As a Vive owner, I'm not sure exactly what else you need running, but I know from experiments using ReVive, that installing the Oculus drivers means you have 2 processes always running even if you never open Home (or even have the VR turned on for that matter).

10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Yes, could be, I'm guessing they're the OVR Service Launcher and OVServer_x64, w/c appear different to 'Oculus Client' that runs when I manually run Oculus Home. I was just verifying with MarcG as they were referring to 'Oculus Home' running automatically when starting SteamVR, w/c got me confused.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  11. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Ran my first Formula type race last night. The visuals were smooth and had a good experience. However, there was intermittent cloud cover and at times it became quite dark and I had some difficulty seeing the corners and therefore hitting the apex. Is there anything that I can do to 'improve' this? I didn't suffer any performance degradation, but it was a bit too dark and these cars don't have any lights!!

12. thewanted

thewanted Registered

Hey all,

Has anyone upgraded from a 980Ti to a 1080Ti and seen a tangible improvement in RF2 for VR? My 980 Ti performs quite well, but in large grid races I do notice that ASW kicks in more often than I'd like. I'm currently running 1.3x SS (I think) with post-processing set to medium.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm running a 4770K @ 4.4GHz with 16GB of 2400Mhz memory.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My pal went from 980ti to 1080ti

He obviously saw a gain but doesn't use rf2 (yet)
    Overclock that cpu will give you a good gain , go for the 1080ti of your flush

14. thewanted

thewanted Registered

A 4770K @ 4.4GHz is overclocked ;) Was hoping for more RF2-specific experience, so hopefully someone has made the move.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's a thread in the support forum where a few of us have commented on this issue, no solution yet.

16. blagger

blagger Registered

Is there any news from the developers regarding a "lock to horizon" option?
    This constant shaking is driving me nuts. Really hard to enjoy rf2 for me.
    I tried the RealHeadMotion plugin but couldn't see any difference.
    A racing game with VR support needs a "lock to horizon" option.

mike.m, elbo and Adrianstealth like this.
  17. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Am I the only one that gets really tired eyes after a while of playing rF2? I can play iRacing for 4 hours straight and I'm fine, but I play rFactor and in 30 minutes I'm already squinting because the screen is bothering me. I don't know if it's the brightness, the contrast, something about the cameras, the shaking, or what, but something is off for me

18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Yes a must for me to, too much shaking as it is now. Even PCars can do lock to horizon, RF2 needs to get on the program, I have un-installed it until I can drive with lock to horizon.

19. Jego

Jego Registered

For me the RealHeadMotion works, I also modified the player.json file, just to be sure.
    It's almost too stable and static. :)

20. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Noted Marc - could you provide a link to the thread so that I can keep an eye on it? Thanks