[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Alek

Alek Registered

Hi Lazza, with mod ISI F Renault 3.5 there aren't any data registered regarding aerodinamic. Do you know this issue? Does exist some fix?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Alek Some cars have certain areas of telemetry disabled, no doubt that's one of those. The plugin can only log what the game gives it.

Anto870 likes this.
  3. Alek

Alek Registered

ok thanks! :)

4. Mullog

Mullog Registered

Lazza, can you confirm your DAMPlugin works with driver swaps and doesn't cause bugs when doing the swap ?

Very big thanks for this awesome tool, using it everytime I'm on track :) :cool:

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't do driver swaps, but some recent testing and tweaking suggests the test version here:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/damplugin-for-rf2.49363/page-10#post-880421

Does at least capture the data, even if it's not quite right yet (may not write [convert] the data until you leave the game, and might join multiple stints as one stint).

The second part of your question is effectively impossible to answer; some people have issues doing driver swaps when following all the instructions even when using no plugins, so I don't know that all possible causes are identified. But from my side if the plugin works a few times (as it did for Josh during his testing) I wouldn't expect it to crash the game or cause subtle bugs with driver swaps - it's just gathering data and writing files, so not that much that can go badly wrong.

6. ckmackey

ckmackey Registered

Hello,
    I'm struggling very bad with installation of Motec today after a new build. The last time I installed, this went much smoother.
    I got to a point where the motec is logging and i'm able to open the logs but I cannot see the ride height channels. I read here that i need to enable logging of this by opening the .ini file but, I only see .dll files and can't open them.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ckmackey the dll files are under the Bin32 and Bin64 folders; instead of going there, go to UserData\player, and you should see the .ini file in there.

ckmackey likes this.
  8. ckmackey

ckmackey Registered

Thank you, got it all sorted out now.

9. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Do you know why is "Steered Angle" not available in the logged data?
    Thanks again for the plugin, really useful.
    EDIT: I see it's available as "Steering Wheel Rotation" or something like that.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@cosimo steering wheel rotation is exactly what it says, whereas 'steered angle' is usually taken to mean the angle at the (steered) wheels. The game doesn't provide steered angle, though it was mentioned on discord that this sort of thing might/can/will be added when official motec support comes in.

However, how much the 'proper' steered angle will differ from the average of the front left and front right toe remains to be seen. I think for most purposes the average front toe will suffice. It negates any symmetric toe in the setup and the effects of Ackermann.

Depending what analysis you're doing it may make more sense to create a more complex maths expression that weights the left and right toe according to load (or some other measure) so that the steered angle more correctly represents the angle the 'steering tyre' is at. In a left hand turn for example, the front right might have a load 2, 3, 4 times greater than the front left; to me it seems reasonable to give more weight to its toe angle at that moment. But again, that depends what you're doing. Generally just (FL toe + FR toe) / 2 will do the job.

The reason I haven't got the plugin doing this itself, is there's no need. It would just be a (slight) increase in CPU load and log file size to produce a figure that i2Pro can calculate itself, plus setting up the maths expression yourself means you can make it better (for your purposes) if you wish to.

On the downside, I have on a few occasions seen people saying that the plugin doesn't/can't log steered angle. I'd probably try to make this situation clearer, but with official motec support on the way I'm not inclined to spend time on refining this apart from fixing any major bugs.

cosimo likes this.
  11. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Very clear, thanks mate.

12. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Hi Lazza

Is this plugin open source? If not, have you thought about opening it since there is official Motec support coming?

I would love to take a peek and play with it if possible.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@CamiloNino No, one of the reasons for not opening up the source is that the motec log file format is (obviously) revealed in it. Motec wouldn't like that, whether they're going to support this sim in the future or not.

Aside from that, I'm not really sure what you'd want to play with. All it does, and all it really can do (as far as base functionality is concerned) is log the data provided to it.

14. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

15. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Hi. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or if it's just me but I can't seem to set the activation modifier key. I'm setting it to 1 (shift) in the DAMPlugin.ini and it stays set that way but I can only turn logging on and off if I press Ctrl M or Alt M. I've just updated this from the older MotecPlugin version which worked fine with Shift M.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi, I might have to try and test it myself if no one else responds (maybe like me most people don't change it), I guess the other possibility is something going wrong with where the ini file is; have you tried changing one of the other settings in there and checked that it has an effect?

I'll try and check this out later.

17. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Hi, yeah I've tried changing it to Shift Z and it still won't work, the activation keys remain as Ctrl or Alt M. Changing Active on startup = 2 works fine so the ini file works ok. It's not a big deal, I've just got used to Shift M, as Ctrl M was conflicting with another plugin. I appreciate you looking at it though. Fantastic plugin by the way, I used it years ago in rF1. :)

18. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

Hi Lazza I am having trouble seeing some channels in the DX11 version. I have DL the latest 0.7.6.2 but it still does not show all channels. Seem to be only seeing basic stuff such as tyre temps, tyre press, brake temps no rubber temps, susp pos but no susp forces. I have checked everything is selected in config file at rate 3 or better. It was perfectly pre DX11. Just wondering if there is an issue in DX11?

All good I found there was another version of DAMPLUGIN config in player folder. All fixed now

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I've just looked over the source and I can see where I went wrong on this. It's reading the config but after setting up the object that does the checking; so the default keys are always used :D

I had a hard drive crash fairly recently and was bad with backups, so I'll just be a little while (in free-time terms) getting everything back up so I can rebuild this. Small deal it may be (and shows how many people have tried to change it, that no one's reported an issue lol), but worth a fix anyway :)

@Feralarri Glad you sorted that out!

20. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Ah well that explains it. Glad you still had the source backup anyway. Thanks. :D