Latest Roadmap Update - July 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osyres

osyres Registered

What the hell do u mean with it makes me nervous ? It force ppl to drive more safe and realistic in a sim why should i don t want this ? :D And ur irating gets u in the same class of skill level which isn t a bad thing ?

Lewbuttoni likes this.
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I think he meant it made people afraid of racing a bit harder. Seen this countless times in iRacing videos where people are just afraid of defending a position they end up even braking earlier to let the guy pass.

bwana likes this.
  3. Tech G

Tech G Registered

Definitely no problem with paid DLC content, so long as the game kept improving and the keep adding new racing cars then its a win win.

On the penalty system I really hope they stay away from a slow down penalty system as this would be very disappointing, if they are going to have a penalty system it should have options that the server admin can change, like how many warnings and infractions before the penalty is implemented, with maybe time penalty added to pit stop or at the end of the race, or a drive through/stop go penalty option.

I was interested that they mentioned some updates on the tire model, which is generally already one of if not the best, so hope they don't mess this up.

4. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

If I don't want it, I don't have to buy it? What kind of an understanding is that? What if I both want it and can't afford it? We are running a league with games AC, R3E and iRacing and every event that requires a paid track and/or vehicle has such a drastic drop in attendance and that alone should tell you something. People are sick of constantly having to pour money to be able to play a game that they already bought.

That's not even the only downside of this new business practice. We already have a game with barren multiplayer scene with decentralized content. While this game is already in such a state, how can you expect to get multiplayer alive with paid content? If we had constantly full servers 24/7 it wouldn't be much of a problem. I would have tons of other tracks and vehicles to play with so maybe I wouldn't miss that single paid vehicle (remind you it won't be the only one in the future) but with an already empty mp scene, dividing the players into free and paid sections is not a good idea.

Also, yes they have to earn money but there are better ways to do that I am sure. No matter who I ask why they didn't choose RF2, the answer is the empty servers, decentralized content blabla. Make a solid game, make it clear to people that you won't have to wait days to find a vanilla server so they can play and you'll have more sales which alone will make money.

Sponsored events is also another way to get more revenue. Look at iRacing and how they collaborate with real companies. However, putting vehicles and tracks in the game which people would love to have and put them behind a price is another and easier way to make money. Oh I can't wait to see the day when we'll have "Dream Cars Pack" and how people will pay to drive their childhood poster cars.

Also, if you try to tell me that since five years or so this game has been making money to keep itself alive but now suddenly they can't sustain themselves without paid DLC, I call it gimmicks. DLC has been killing this industry and I would rather it did not splash on RFactor 2 too.

Lewbuttoni and Guimengo like this.
  5. Tackset

Tackset Registered

I understand the objections to DLC to a certain point, but it sure beats a subscription model.

You can choose to buy DLC, if you don't you just can't drive that particular car/track. You still have the game you paid for and all the free content.
    The subscription model has been abandoned, drawing in a lot more people (i think, it did for me at least). The thing with subscription is that you have to pay in order to be able to race anything (online or otherwise depending on the model).

If S397 is able to create a sustainable business model that is great for everyone. Even for those not interested in DLC, as this will fund the development going forward.

I must say i had hoped the DLC concept would not have been applied to this event, but hey business decision. Now you essentially pay a small entry fee. The people coming to rf2 to even be able to compete will have to buy the base game as well, but those seriously running for top positions will have done that a good while ago ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    patchedupdemon and bwana like this.
  6. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

It being better than subscription model doesn't make it a "good" model anyway. I know S397 won't take my concern into consideration and since it seems everyone is happy with it, I won't even bother at this point. I just hope it all turns for the better.

Have fun.

7. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

The game is still in a beta-level of development and they have the audacity to start with paid dlc. I guess they aren't entirely to blame; they're only doing it because they know plenty of people are stupid enough to fork over the cash.

Lewbuttoni, Guimengo and BluesAdam like this.
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

Uhm, what world are you living in as I'm pretty certain rF2 was not making money for ISI?

Gjon or Tim said the lifetime online subscription projection, when they initially announced the plan, should keep them afloat for 5 years. Unfortunately, the 1-yr subscribers rarely re-upped their subscription after a second year; pretty much everyone that used rF2 after 2014 were lifetime subscribers. Plus, if the profits were rolling in, ISI likely would never have let go of control.

Daytona 675, bwana and marmagas like this.
  9. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

and that alone should prove that people don't like paying for a game more than once. DLC model will not sustain them so long either because only the core playerbase will bother buying them anyway. The majority will go "meh" and keep not caring about a game which they already don't care about.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Actually, people didn't like paying for online access because they didn't believe they were getting anything for their money. At least with DLC, there is a tangible benefit.

AC, pCARS, & AMS do a poor job of packaging their DLC for consumer use. The content of any single pack is not coherent, thus you get the fragmenting. At least pCARS & AMS enable online play of opponents' cars even if you didn't buy the content. Raceroom has packages that make sense or you can buy ala cart; the resistance to their DLC sales model is the combination of that screwy vRP currency system and that liveries are locked down as part of the DLC that can be purchased ala cart.

It's pretty clear that DLC is the way to fund the perpetual science projects that sims are these days because people care about the content. Especially if it is presented in a consumer-friendly manner.

marmagas likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Really? Stuff like Brit Pack made total sense to me

Lewbuttoni and Daytona 675 like this.
  12. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I'd be willing to pay for a track pack a lot quicker than a car pack but realize cars take a lot less time to create and more people will buy them.

I guess they need to rehash the same game and give it a different name so people will think it's brand new and that they're getting what they pay for.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 exited beta in 2013, it has been developed from 2012 to 2016 by ISI, much longer than most games ever will receive support. There is nothing beta about the current version except for the DX11 part, which will soon be out of beta as well.

bwana likes this.
  14. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

They simply claimed it to be out of beta. Were you also impressed by Sega's "blast processing" marketing ploy?

And yes, it has been developed for years -- very, very slowly and inadequately. In that amount of time, 2 completely finished games could have been made. Instead we only have a single, half-finished one. And now they want more money.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

S397 hasn't got any of the money from years 2012-2016, all that went to ISI. They even removed the online subscription fee that ISI had, so the income S397 has got from rF2 must have been minimal so far. So minimal that I think it would be impossible to continue making new content for rF2 if all of it was free.

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You so far off the mark that it isn't even funny. Wanna have a good example of people paying over and over again for the same game game? WoW any one? iRacing - the best virtual renting system ever created. Or what's up with all the FIFA games? Do you have any idea how many games got produced recycling the same f*cking game engine for the last ten years. Frostbyte, Unreal, Source. Just to name the very important ones.

What we call DLC now, were expansion packs in the late 90s early 2000s. So stop acting as if you were surprised by it. If you haven't lived behind a rock for the last 15 years, it should be quite obvious to you, that it is quite an exception that devs keep supporting a game for longer than 5 years. So you are telling me now, that you are going for a refund after 5 years of constant support, because of a car that you are not forced to buy? I don't know if I should cry or laugh reading some comments here.

Some of the biggest complaints that we have seen about this sim are finaly adressed now, giving us - the whole userbase - the chance to enjoy this sim for another five years and people still don't get it. There is nothing better than using this opportunity to sell the first DLC to a potentially wider audience and funding further development for our all benefit. That's not higher science that's some simple basic logic ... :rolleyes:

pkelly, John, lukilord1 and 6 others like this.
  17. Stan

Stan Registered

+1 If ISI hadn't been so greedy in making money with modders content and league races (the multiplayer robbery), publishing rf1.5 (as it was too late for rf1) and calling it rf2 with a way to put their hands on job's achieved by others, then rf2 wouldn't have been that mess and now we could beta test a brand new rf3 at the very least.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's amazing how people get so upset as soon as something costs money, how you lot buy food is beyond me, do you all go into the supermarket and demand free food!?
    The self entitlement in the sim racing community is bloody pathetic, seriously.

Kokomo, John, Proscribo and 12 others like this.
  19. Comante

Comante Registered

This thread is a trainwreck....... people upset because they paid 2 pizzas a lot of years ago, and still pretend to have free pizzas , because they already paid for it, then bitches because RF2 development is slow........ if you would be able to do some math, you would understand WHY it was slow.. because there are people that paid RF2 20 30 $, and now, after so many years they pretend to have new content, new developments, new everything... for FREE, because they are entitled, because their money is so special and more worthy than common money.
    For those upset because they will have to pay for the mclaren I would like to remind you that some years ago, FERRARI asked something like 30 euros to partecipate in a hotlap contest, with a car, a track, and a deadline, then another track came out and it was like 15 euro to play it... in single player, with no AI, just hotlapping.
    If you think it's a SCAM to be able to partecipate in a contest whose prize is a dream job, then it's up to you. Don't pay, don't play.. quite easy.
    If you don't have money for pizza, you go to mcDonald, you don't go to the pizza makers screaming that is unfair.

Kokomo, John, ECAR_Tracks and 8 others like this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's the same complete nonesense that we read over and over again. And if you ask people talking that nonesense, if they can point you to one single sim dev, who is finsihed after 2 years, developing their own core engine, you get nothing but hot air in return.

patchedupdemon, jayarrbee36 and bwana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.