AI Slip Stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pales, May 15, 2017.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Please do me a favour and dont quote me with things i never had written. I mentioned, the parameter DraftStickiness for tracks, DraftStickinessMulti for talent files and even some adjustments for the car`s (hdv). I´ve never written, that the DraftStickiness parameter, used for the aiw file, would solve everything. Its a combination of all three...

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Are you sure? as when Bathurst was first released I edited the AIW due to slight annoyances, one of them being the AI Braking through certain corners which they should've taken Flat Out or Coasted through, I selected the Waypoints and changed a Speed setting which worked a treat in keeping them off their brakes. It was a long time ago now so not sure if anything has changed and I've not looked in the Dev Mode AIW Editor for some time, so it'd be interesting to see if this variable is still there or not.

SPASKIS likes this.
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No need to calm down, as I wasnt ever up!
    Dont know why YOU need to answer here after months of absence, but all I was asking about is:
    When you genius guys recovered this VERY IMPORTANT subject (where even the developers are quiet about!)
    why dont you share your experiences with us, so that this problem could be solved???
    My bet is: It isnt solved at all and its a hard-coded problem somewhere else!
    Fact 1: In earlyer days of rF2 this problem didnt occure and I had AI 4 wide at times!
    Fact 2:I for myself experimented with this value also, and it did nothing noticable.

When the program changed in this regard, then it wasnt documented at all and users (modders) where left in the dark!
    However, since (several) builds this problem occured again and it was detected by chance!
    What is that? Do you think this is kind of proper development???
    Now you can say "calm down", because now you upset me with your post! Mr. Fanboy!

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hexagramme mentioned that fact over several track threads, where those things were discussed.
    By the way, welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Did I interprete this wrong? It seems like "this solves everything to me".

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I meant in BTB that lack of control. Several important things seem to be need to edited in the AIW of BTB created tracks.

The speed values cannot be edited in BTB and as you say seem to have some influence.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

"Several track threads",- Makes totally sense! LOOOOL!
    By the way: I for one ignore your "mods" right away, cause they are absurd crap!

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You seem to always be "up", man. Every single post of yours feels like a declaration of war. So much hyperbole and an incredible amount of agitation. If you have some sort of issue, with me or anybody else, I suggest you keep it to yourself, or, at the very least, keep it to PMs. No need for anyone else reading this thread, or the other threads you've attempted to derail, to also have a bad time. Sound good? :)

I'm flattered that you kept track of my "months of absence" btw. Real life happens, as you may well know. Doesn't take away from the fact that I still have plenty of AIW experience, and plenty of (moderately constructive) things to say about it. I have done so in the past, when new track modders and other AIW interested people have posted questions about how to make AIWs. I've tried to share what I know, what I've found to improve things in, you guessed it, several track threads, and modding threads, and support threads, and so on.

But this stickiness thing isn't some grand new discovery. As far as I know (could be wrong here) it's been around since forever, probably since rF1. And no, nothing's "solved" by discovering one not-much-discussed AIW parameter. There is just no way to throw together a brilliant AIW in a quick an easy way, there are far too many variables. There will always be some cars that work less well. You cannot account for everything, it will always be a compromise. Not every racing series works brilliantly on every track in real life either; sometimes you see awesome lower class racing on a track, while the F1 race will be without one single overtake. That's just how it is.

MarcG and Juergen-BY like this.
  9. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Please everybody calm down...and take a break ;)

SPASKIS likes this.
  10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mhh, that may look like that because I don´t post much and when I post, it´s most of the times because I´m upset about something or someone. I agree that this must look as if I´m an angry, evil little existence. lol :)
    However, that proofs my point! It´s often discussed here: that precious infos are spread all over.
    Honest question: Are you using some kind of wiki or user-database?

11. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

Most MODs don't have RCD files and when they have them they are not properly balanced. I just made one for F1 1979 and now they overake on the straights. And this only through talent files.

It's a shame that we have no simple solution to this, but don't forget: Most Mods are made for one purpose or another, which means the AI-Side of things doesn't work properly often times (even ISIs files are very lackluster in this regard). Since rf1 I have to edit files to get proper Offline racing, creating AIWs, Talent Files etc.

When it works it is great, but I usually have to invest 1-3 days until I can race.

Aceking, Pauli Partanen and Emery like this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's not a simple solution because the AI is so complex to code, I think in order to get an easier system it would require coding from scratch which isn't going to happen. These days RF2 AI is very good out the box and with tweaking to carrots files it can become even better, it just depends how good you want it to be will equal the amount of effort needed.

Aceking likes this.
  13. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

The biggest problem ist that I have to look into x-amount of files to get the AI up to par.

With the whole packaging and unpackaging testing takes even longer. I would like to have an AI-Masterfile for every mod, where I can adjust the most things regarding the AI in just one place.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What mods? some community mods do need a lot of work, but for the most part the ISI/S397 Stock mods are just fine as standard with some needing minor tweaks. Again to create a Masterfile it may need a re-code of various parts of the AI which would be time wasted IMO, there's not enough of us to warrant it being even thought of let alone a low priority item to deal with.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree it would be great if it was easier to adjust AI across the board much quicker, but simply put it's not gonna happen with RF2, again we can only hope for a better solution in a future title perhaps.

15. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

I forgot which one... the Clio Cup the Renault 3.5 Cup? I extracted the RCD File and all drivers have 100% in every category. I wanted to get some inspiration, but this is just nothing....

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I bet they have no RCD at all....

17. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

Oh and I don't think you need mad programming skills just to create an AIW-File that overwrites every other entry.

You have Player-File variables that get overwritten by a .hdv or another file.

If we get an .ai file, which the game reads first and disregards all the different entries regarding the AI in all other files, we have exactly what I want. We could create an AI-File per Mod and we could easily test with it until we hit the sweet spot. The only other thing which would matter, would be the AIW.

It would be SO MUCH easier.

18. Pales

Pales Registered

Bumping for further exposure.

Guimengo likes this.
  19. Pales

Pales Registered

Bumping again for a response.

20. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i would wait until s397 ai phase of development comes along :)