AI Slip Stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pales, May 15, 2017.

1. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

AiDraftStickness=X

It's in track AIW file. It controls whether AI will keep drafting or come alongside to try overtake

Juergen-BY likes this.
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I have never read anything that explains how and if it works in rF2. No manifested experimental conclusions here.
    If I´m wrong, show me where I can find it.
    In rF1 the case was clear. But seems that in rF2 it isn´t.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Is this a wild guess or something you can back with some track example that uses it?

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yes, it`s working. Even the parameter DraftStickinessMulti can be used for the talent files, too.
    //Edit: and some Bodyaero settings from the HDV files, would change the drafting effect.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

u sure ? it never did in ams with this value constantly adjusted!

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I was writing about rF2, not AMS....

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

And what should be XX good values?
    I asked for an example track in order to check how it works and the value used.

Thanks in advance

8. Emery

Emery Registered

As I recall, the value xx is in milliseconds. For how long the drafting car should hold their position before pulling out of line.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I`ve tested with AIDraftStickiness=(0.0001) from the aiw file. Btw....the above (post #21) posted parameter is wrong, there is an "i" missing ;-)

SPASKIS likes this.
  10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

pretty much the same Ai engine and code (although rf2 is updated). And AMS has the same issue, like pretty much any gmotor ai does.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

AMS is based on the isimotor2 engine, rF2 on the isimotor2.5 engine. And believe me, it is working for rF2.

hexagramme likes this.
  12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

although ams have just sorta fixed this issue. Obviously S397 have no resources fixing AI atm.. Maybe come later.?! But AMS ai has taken a big step bit like AC ai. Just did radicals on the indy 13 circuit - ai were tapping the brakes all down the back straight!!!

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Assuming, you`re complete resistant for any advices and/or information...I did the below vid, just to show, that the rF2 AI`s are probably the best AI in the simracing business. At least, i`ve never had any better experience with AI`s from other Sim`s...It`s all about the stickiness settings :cool: and draft/slipstream values for the Car.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you can always rely on MSportDan to post about AI Slipstream effects :D, besides it's caused other issues in AMS so it's by no means the definitive answer yet but I hope they get there one day soon before development ceases (I'm sure they will).
    As for RF2, not a smidgen of news about anything AI related really, to be expected with conversion to DX11 still ongoing but I hope we'll get some news before the years end about continued AI improvement :)

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Exactly. I ran tons of AIW tests last year experimenting with these settings and the difference it made was quite remarkable.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Where is your report about that????

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Yes something so important for immersion should be better documented. I never heard about this parameter until I read it in this post.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Calm down please. :)

I just helped some different track modders with AIWs at the time, and started experimenting. Whenever someone (forums etc.) asked about AIWs I would usually mention that the AIStickiness setting was often worth adjusting to make the AI more fun. It's just one of a huge number of variables that needs to be in order before you can have satisfying AI racing.

That said, it's not some sort of miracle cure. On some tracks it works well, on others it has little to no effect. Depends on how long the straights are, the type of corner leading onto the straight, etc. etc. etc.

MarcG, Juergen-BY and SPASKIS like this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it can be of great help in order to properly document how to create a good AIW.

However, as you say I share your opinion about too many variables that affect overall AI behaviour and not only this specific slip stream issue.

I understand your sentence as a correction to Juergen's "this solves everything".

As you probably know all my tracks are BTB based projects where AIW is automatically created.

However there is very few to none control in things like distance between consecutive points, speed parameter, etc. AIW parameters like stickiness are not even defined in the resulting AIW.

I don't know how many things affect AI. It would be nice to have a complete guide specific for this topic. The cut track parameter definition should be easier to adjust. Curiously in this aspect BTB created tracks seem to work very well and penalties are given in a fair way.

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah, it surely doesn't solve everything, that's true.

You need some well made driving lines, not only driven well, but also meticulously edited afterwards. You need sensible "block paths", so when the AI goes off the racing line they don't lose too much speed. And you need a track that's fit for overtaking; a lot of people seem to forget that, but just like in real life, if the track layout isn't really fit for much overtaking, you probably aren't going to see it in the sim either.