FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Bummer.
    I do note the comments re the difference in horizontal vs vertical FOV.
    I'm not sure why, but I find 65 works well for me. I do have the screen quite close to my face - about 2 feet and I've tried other settings. I usually then adjust the car seat position in game to move it closer to the front of the car, while still keeping the top edge of the steering wheel in view.
    I fully appreciate my own settings are just that and heavily influenced by personal preference.

What are most people in this thread using? 36 degrees? 40? 45?
    ...it would be interesting to have a poll.

2. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

24" monitor 28" from my face. Calculator says 28-29deg, but I run 32 just to get a little extra width for finding apexes and whatnot.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Didn't S397 comment about the different FOV ratios a couple of months back? Could we take the Pcar calculator and convert it's results to rF2?
    I have a 24 inch monitor that sits 34 inches from my eyes. Pcar FOV would be 43. How would I massage that into rF2?

4. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

How to calculate your vertical FOV for rF2 is in the very first post of this thread...

5. muz_j

muz_j Registered

No need - I'm lazy too and I just did a bit of searching and came up with this even better FOV calculator - which specifically includes RF2:

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

6. Stan

Stan Registered

Well of course you can appreciate your settings, but fov is not a matter of taste (maybe for +/-1 degree but no more) it's mathematical, for personnal taste you can move the seat...
    So, the fov used by people is/should be fully dependant of the screen size and distance you sit from.

Alex72 likes this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

I am on 17 inch laptop cca 2 feet in front of my face and was using 55 FOV until recently.
    I thought it was the optimum balance between seeing the track surface and world around me but when I went to 35 FOV now I am more consistent in lap times and it's more immersive.

8. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

27" Screen, 2 ft away, was using FOV 76 but now trying 65. Calculates at 31 Deg. Now considering triple screen.

9. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Pilot37 With a FOV at 76 the corners would be like narrow neck corridors. Can see this making picking the apex very tricky not to mention when to brake. Good thaat you are now starting to try some lower FOV keep trying even lower over time. The driving experience and lap times will most likey get better and better as FOV comes down.

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I've tried "correct FOV" in the past but I never had a big enough monitor to make it workable. But now I have a 32" TV so I thought I'd give it another shot and I have to wow what a difference! Why didn't I do this long before?!

At first I thought 36 FOV??? That's insane! The calculator has to be wrong. But no, once you get used to the correct FOV, you can't drive with anything else. It's like a whole new experience.

I urge those of you who are on the fence, if you have at least a 32" monitor, give correct FOV another try.

Ernie, Emery and SPASKIS like this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Indeed limited lateral view is the only drawback of using correct FOV in a single screen. I am glad it did the trick for you.

buddhatree likes this.
  12. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

Yes, quite good fun :)

13. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

Anybody running ultrawide?

14. fab06

fab06 Registered

34P 3440x1440 and always 35° fov , before i was on a 24P 1920x1080 and 35° fov ..

15. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

Yeah, even with a 50" TV, as an example, it's hard to get a decent horizontal view - with the correct FOV. And sitting 24" from a 50" will not look the best. Triples are hard to beat - 50" TV vs 3 x 24" monitors:
    upload_2017-7-18_21-8-59.png

upload_2017-7-18_21-9-51.png

Christopher Snow likes this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Going from one 1080p monitor with large FOV around 45-50 where the road ahead was so tiny and brake marks (objects in the world) were almost impossible to see lol and thus hard to brake consistently, and then buying two more 1080p monitors and lowering to correct FOV (or near it. I run around 28-30FOV) is amazing. Also hard to know the exact FOV since i run with multiview so FOV isnt showing (its setup through setting screen size and distance from monitors in a triple screen app), but with the settings in triple screen setup i can see its around those numbers. To not only see the road in almost real life size but also see cars coming up on the sides is superb, and to see the mirrors without having to press buttons to look left/right is super as well. Thats another reason i love tracks like Oulton Park for example. Not just because its a fun track to drive, but the vistas, man. :) You see so much of the track from several places and seeing other cars while looking out the side window far away on the track driving around is cool hehe.

Best thing is that if you arent allergic to 60hz 60FPS (little blurry even though its 60FPS smooth compared to higher hertz) is that its not that expensive. Just make sure the other 2 monitors (if you have a 1080p already) are EXACTLY the same size (read carefully in the manual/website/specs). Even though they are marketed as 24" they can have different sizes like 23,6 (maybe even other sizes) or they can be proper 24. If the side monitors arent the exact same inches as the main monitor you will get issues with the world lining up between the middle and side monitors. It works and is not too bad but its not optimal.

I run my sides in 45 degrees angle (triple screen setting for side monitors angle) if i do a serious drive so the edges of the side monitors end up parallel to my head. Having to turn your head to look out the windows/mirrors is fun as hell. More immersion like sitting in the car. :)

17. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

I'm guessing I will need a second GTX1080 to triple the display area....maybe fine on RF2 but then all my other games especially Prepar3D will grind to a halt, whereas a 35" 2560x1080 is not much extra strain.

18. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

I run DCS on my 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 w/TrackIR, all racing on my triple setup. For me TrackIR is more important/immersive than triples for flight. I never liked TrackIR for racing.

19. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Yé! Old thread.

Reading through...19 pages of this... more than a few post, like FuzzyFassbender 4 post up, he's showing graphics taken from "MrPix" "Project Immersion" page where geometry fundamentals aren't fully understood:

Vertical FOV is the width.
    Horizontal FOV is the height.

Even the "Great" ZeosPantera makes the same mistake in post #47 on the 3rd page.
    I have yet to see a racing sim where the Horizontal FOV is adjustable.

With a 30" wide 21:9, 2550*1080, I use 36 degrees at 30" distance.
    The black top is pretty wide and it's easy to precisely point the car toward the apex.

[​IMG]

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, we're not talking about FOV around an axis (in which case you'd be right, if you label x horizontal and y vertical). vFOV means the FOV occupied vertically - so very definitely referring to screen height.

And as far as I know many non-gmotor games use horizontal FOV, whereas rF2 etc use vertical.

Your say your screen is 30" 'wide' - do you mean the diagonal (conventional screen size) or the actual width? For the former I calculate 22.25 vFOV (rF2), or if it's 30" wide, and therefore 12.86" high, the vFOV is 24 degrees. If you're using 36 deg you're certainly getting a better view than default, but not correct perspective.

Note: I do my calculations using trig, not sites. Prone to errors but I know what's going on.

ebeninca likes this.