Gravel traps / Kitty litter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jun 6, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Great to see some really constructive suggestions still coming but to what avail ? Will S397 be even thinking down this path ??

2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Agreed,they should make this sim as realistic as possible,but just like with driver aids,give options on certain features to allow those that don't want it,to turn it off.
    That way they cater for everyone

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The crash recovery assistance, at High or something, could be an assist assigned to get a virtual push MotoGP-style.

4. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

I remember very well the first time I went straight, straight to the gravel, my second track day, in Albacete. The more I entered the sand and slowed down, the more I buried myself.
    Summarizing even with a motorbike you buried yourself enough, and it is not easy to leave a sand trap.
    And about those tilke-dromes with endless runoffs, usually with a motorbike are welcome, like in Motorland, more safety.

5. Spectator6

Spectator6 Registered

I can't think of a sim or even simcade title that does not add a slowing factor to its sand pits... So while I understand the sentiment that we don't want to make rF2 seem more inaccessible to newcomers, I feel this concern is overblown. Make the traps act somewhat like the real thing, otherwise they only confuse expectations, which imo may be even more detrimental. "Dafuq am I sliding through this sand like butter? That's weird... I wonder what other aspects of the track surfaces are misrepresented?" etc etc

And IMO it should default to this "realistic" setting as it may seem more alarming to not have them react properly than vice versa.

2ndLastJedi and F1Aussie like this.
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

Most simcades have a simple tire model with just a few equations and parameters that can be controlled, which makes it easy to add something like more friction. In rF2 the entire model is based on physics principles, and according to that gravel doesn't produce more friction itself, it's the digging into gravel and particle dynamics that produce the friction effect. If they just added some "lazy" friction parameter to gravel traps, the rF2 tire would probably just overheat and deform massively from driving over gravel.

Spectator6 likes this.
  7. Spectator6

Spectator6 Registered

Wow Thanks for your detailed reply. That makes perfect sense! Helps me appreciate rF2 even more!

8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

In AMS you get stuck in gravel traps afaik. You have to go on the clutch to rev up the engine to "swing" your way out (or swing yourself once to get momentum).

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I hope S397 have plans to bring this more in line with realism.

F1Aussie likes this.
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

AMS uses the rF1 tire model, where you can hack things like more friction into without the tire going insane, because the tire does not actually rotate, it's just a bunch of equations.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. Comante

Comante Registered

The problem of gravel runoffs is that how they work is actually affected by a lot of factors, we have seen car simply dig in them, car float over them, car flip into them, this look like a fairly complex behaviour to simulate.

12. Spectator6

Spectator6 Registered

And from what's been said here so far, it doesn't sound like it's possible to approximate or fudge a general response... I don't demand a simulation quality representation of loose surfaces, I just want something to prevent my car from slamming into a barrier protected by a huge trap