Shifting Question

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by KrisMay, Jul 7, 2017.

1. KrisMay

KrisMay Registered

I'm using G27 wheel with H-Shifter. Is there a way that on sequential shifter cars, i can only use the paddle shifters and the H-Shifter be disabled and same with H-shifter cars where paddle shifter is disabled? I drove this one car and I didnt know if it was sequential or H-shifter, i just want the authenticity when driving cars on rFactor.

2. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

I think some cars have the option in the tuning menu(where you select your car), but for the most part it is interchangeable. I dont have a problem with it personally, its pretty easy to avoid the shifter when Im driving a paddle-shift car, and I very rarely(of course it happens ;)) tag a paddle when driving a stick-shift car. Personally I like the option to switch it up as I please.

If you are curious of a specific cars' original equipment, a quick google search will tell you straight away what it was made with. Some cars, especially race cars, have an option(when the vehicle is bought) of a stick-shift or paddles, so it really can be up to personal preference. I know there are a few Porsche's that have a dealership option when you buy it; 7 spd paddle/sequential or a 6spd standard.

BTW, sequential can mean paddles or a "ratchet" shifter, but cars like the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, etc. that have PRND and then the + and -, are considered semi-automatic.

Also, there is the "Free Look" function, originally mapped to the "U" key, I believe, and if you go into cockpit view, toggle free look, and use your mouse to look down to where the shifter would be, you can tell pretty quick if its a standard or not. :)

Cheers
    rocket

3. KrisMay

KrisMay Registered

I can do that, but its a lot of work everytime i select a car. I drive random cars from workshop, and I was accustomed on the shifting on assetto corsa where you can only use the paddle shifters if it is designed as one.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah in rF2 you can setup any input. If you're concerned about accidental trigger, unbind them before you drive, or save and create a profile for paddle versus non-paddle.

5. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Do you drive from the cockpit/driver view normally?
    If so, it takes 2 seconds to hit "free look" and look down real quick. Then just use one or the other(Paddles or H-Gate).
    If not, it will take 2 extra seconds to switch to cockpit view and have a little look.

Sure, when I drive a sequential shift car, and I push the gear shifter into 3rd, it goes into 3rd... I just leave it in Neutral and use the paddles, problem solved.
    I even use the buttons on the shifter to; adjust Brake Balance, Fuel/Boost Map, navigate pitstop window(selecting tyre/fuel for next pit), request pit, headlights, and the handbrake when I drift. I have yet to accidentally move the shifter into any gear while manipulating these buttons and using the paddles. I recently took part in a 10 race, 1hr endurance league championship with the EnduRacer GTE's, so I have many hours with this type of setup in use.

Sure, its definitely not as convenient as AC, but I couldnt say its "a lot of work" to press a couple of buttons and move your mouse a bit. And AC is not as realistic as rF, a very worthy trade off, IMO.

Also, during your 1st drive with a specific car you are unsure of, shift with the paddles first. If it takes longer than ~0.2 seconds to go from gear to gear, its a standard/stick shift. Most stick shift cars like the NSX or the AC Cobra will take between 0.5 to 1 second to shift when using the paddles, even if you leave your foot buried on the throttle.

Cheers, and have fun.
    rocket

KrisMay likes this.