Mod only online?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rober888, Jul 8, 2015.

1. rober888

rober888 Registered

Hello guys, mi question is, can i do a mod that only be used ONLINE? More dificult, can we do the same but in a server? I want to say, use a mod that only let play in 1 server(server championship).

Sorry my bad english.

Thanks!

En español, se puede hacer un mod que solo pueda usarse online? Y para mas dificultad, se puede hacer para que solo pueda rodsrse en un server determinado? Es decir el offline quedaria anulado, y online solo en.un server.

Un saludo y gracias.

Enviado desde mi C6603 mediante Tapatalk

2. rober888

rober888 Registered

Anybody?

3. redapg

redapg Registered

I would say no, it's not possible.

But maybe you can tell us why do you want it that way?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There is no way provided, and the 'other' way would be difficult, more difficult in rF2 than in rF1.

redapg, this is bound to be an attempt to limit practice to provide a 'level playing field'. I briefly considered doing it in rF1 but decided I couldn't be bothered, and for any modern-styled series I think people forget how much the real teams and drivers use simulators - so limiting virtual driving to a few hours is actually worse than the real guys get, and generally without the teams of engineers to still work out the setup basics and save time :)

So possible: probably, difficult: yes, worth it? Probably not.

5. Rik

Rik Registered

maybe we can do an installation of rF2 core on our PC And rF2 data on a common server?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That wouldn't stop you installing the mod elsewhere and playing it offline. The only way this can work is to have a broken mod and a plugin (or program) that detects when you're online (on the correct server) and fixes the mod so your practice is worthwhile. Absolutely possible in rF1, not so much in rF2. Well anything's possible, but it would be easier in rF1...

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This would be so awesome for leagues and competitions. I've wished this was possible for many years now.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

You can also release the mod just 5 minutes before the event starts, but i guess there will always be a distrusting against the organizers, because they know much sooner what car/track it will be and can test as much as they want.

Nobody can control that.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

TBH... a Race and nobody have knowledge about the Track and the Cars? Sounds like a wreckfest...

Why do you not change e.g. Tire Wear, Fuel and add dynamic weather? With those settings, just done shortly before Race start, it would be impossible for your Driver, to have a proper strategy for the actual race...

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He didn't say he wanted no one to do any practice. You're putting words in his mouth and then criticising them.

11. rober888

rober888 Registered

Thanks very much all.

I want a mod that only can used in online, or one Server. Why? This mode dont let training offline and i think that it gives more emotion, for example in wet track, its not the same training for wet offline that improved in the race. This is more real in my opinion, but i see that its very dificult to do :(

12. KekeRober

KekeRober Registered

Anybody knows?

13. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

Yes, it can be done easily.

In fact I did it last November with mexican Hermanos Rodriguez Circuit. Drivers install a small plugin and when they run it, the plugin let them select the VMod, then it looks the driver disk for the car and the track, and automatically download and install the missing elements (the same if version is not the right one); once everything is OK, the plugin starts rFactor2, select the server, log with the driver user and password, and stops when the car in in the garage for the current session. At the end it logs out, closes rFactor2 and wait for the user to close the pluggin, or to select another VMod.

Users can enter the server to practice when they are allowed by the league or champ, but they can't practice offline as what they see is a screen which looks like a labyrinth of lines of many colours (if the circuit is protected), or the parts of the car distorted and spread all over the screen without any order, with no control by the driver (if the car is protected).

The only way to use this car or this circuit is having the plugin and being a registered user of a particular league or champ, that allows you to connect to its server.

Even the car or the circuit is not able to be "re-done" with 3d Max, 3dsimed, GJed or any other program, and the author can select the level of distortion to protect his work, and even using the highest level, there's no a noticiable fps drop.

14. doberk

doberk Registered

Yes, is possible, I am taking part in a tournament where the mod only works online. The files are in the installed folder (all of them encrypted), but is impossible to load it offline. The mod doesn't appear in the list of cars.

Connection with the server is made throught his own launcher. I don't know if is possible to load the mod in another server, I will try it.

This is a very interesting topic. Very useful and realistic in order to limit practice time. I would be very pleased If anybody could share the method, software, plugins or anything else necesary to do it.

15. Radar

Radar Registered

Interesting.. Watching with interest.

I agree with what Lazza has said in the above posts, however the idea of only being able to practice on given days and times on those days opens the doors more on 'race weekend' style track open scenarios