Studio 397 - gJED progression ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Radar, May 24, 2017.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

Sorry for the long post, but I feel it was necessary given the concerns a few may have..

I know several posts in different threads have mentioned 'any updates for gJED' etc but I was hoping someone from Studio 397 could give us some updates on how gJED is progressing along, if at all in one thread, maybe even use this as a possible test thread / suggested changes.

Plug-ins for 3Ds Max only go to versions 2012 - x32, sadly most people who have access to 3Ds Max can only get 2015 or above and the new versions are only x64. Animation (*.ANI files) could only be converted in 3Ds Max x32 2010, 11 or 12 and I have a bunch of animation models I'd like to bring into a track if only I could. And we have modders who are using other tools like Blender, Maya etc.

Now with DX11 (and I know the focus has been around getting the game and content updated) I'd like to know if gJED or some other tools could get 'some' sort of priority to help our fellow modders in updating their content especially now with the new shaders but also to allow them to export their animation files.

The more experienced modders are 'making do' with the tools we currently have on hand, but it's not without it's limitations / workarounds and or bugs to deal with to get new mods out.. I feel it's now time to allocate some serious development into either gJED or something similar to help the modders out there (especially those who are new to modding) to bring rF2 close to what rF1 once was in the way of more content and updated content etc.

rF1 was great as it had so much content available especially for the online community. Yes it grew over the years to what it became in the end but rF2 is far far behind in my honest opinion given the competition currently out there. DX11 has 'sparked' the interest again of those who had tried rF2 at the beginning but if the content doesn't increase then the competition we now have (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars etc) will sadly see the demise of rF2. With Project Cars 2 around the corner, SimBin GTR3 due out 2018 and both promising fantastic things, we really don't have time to sit back and wait on what rF2 'could' become..

Online communities have shrunken over the years as rF2 didn't replace rF1 like we had all hoped and to help Studio 397 it would be great to see some little extra time put into the development of gJED etc to help increase the content out there and to take advantage of this opportunity we now have with users coming back for DX11, hopefully resulting in communities to grow again.

It's "our" way of advertising, and we would like to help Studio 397 where we can. Appreciate a reply from Studio 397 if at all possible.

vladjak, jerrymcc, dradecki and 13 others like this.
  2. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Generally agree. However, Pcars 2 and even AC still don't, and seemingly won't, have the physics and realism of rF2 for the serious sim driver.

However, if tools were developed/improved to benefit modding and adding content to rF2 it would have a much easier path.

ISI certainly shot themselves in the foot by making rF2 so much more difficult to mod while refusing to develop tools, or even significant guides to modders, who then lost interest in the platform. I don't know what they expected, but they surely abandoned rF2 quickly, I assume in lieu of more profitable ventures. I understand this from a business POV, but it would have been prudent for them to have released some "open source" options/programs to allow further advancement of this amazing sim if they weren't willing/able to support it to a greater degree.

So far S397 has been advancing rF2, and I'm hoping for the best.

Radar likes this.
  3. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Bumping this thread, is there an update planned on gJED ?
    With the brightness changed AGAIN with the DX11 update, it means that tons of textures that were well balanced have to be tweaked.
    It's kinda discouraging to have to redo the same things again, and the best part is, there's no guarantee that this process won't be needed again in the future...

SPASKIS, Guimengo and A13 like this.
  4. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Forthcoming releases may actually suprise some people with the improvements in tyre model, physics and ffb, sadly they arent mod-able platforms. There is some stiff competition coming and i love rf2..improvements in tools rapidly may go a long way so high quality content can be created at a more rapid pace