Steering too senstive, whatever settings I use

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by theVenerable, Jun 29, 2017.

1. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

Hi
    I am using a pretty basic Thrustmaster t80 wheel.
    It has a bout 220 degrees rotation.
    Btu whatever settings I use, it is too sensitive.

I've tried changing the rotation levels, sensitivity, speed sensitivity etc.
    But I still find all settings to be too sensitive and the car too responsive to small inputs.

How to deaden the steering more?

In a config file perhaps?

Thanks

2. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Did you try lowering steering lock in the setup? I have a 180 degree wheel and anything higher than 9 degrees of steering lock causes oversensitive turns.

peterchen likes this.
  3. Ken Barlow

Ken Barlow Registered

low rotation of steering wheel will be sensitive, each car has a degree of rotation, needs to be matched. if for instance you are setting a clio which has 900 degree to 220 rotation it will be a half lock when you turn the wheel a fraction? im not sure of a fix for this other than a wheel with more degree of rotation!?!

4. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

Thanks for the suggestions all.
    I can't get my wheel settings below 40 degrees.
    I put it on 40, and it helps a bit, but it still to sensitive for my liking.

I play other sims/games like Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, and Projects cars.
    My wheel is fine for them all. I can have it ultra sensitive, ultra unresponsive, or anywhere in between.
    rRfactor2 seems the only game that doenst give me this flexibility?

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Do you unlock the automatic rotation in rF2 Controls and set your own rotation to 220° and after that reduce in car setup the Steering Ratio to somethink close to 220° ?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@theVenerable There could be some confusion regarding what settings you're using in the game. If you let us know which car you're driving it will probably be easier to help as we'll know what settings are available in its setup.

As for your steering settings, for now just leave the Sensitivity on 100%, you don't want to make the steering non-linear until later, if at all. Also I'm not sure how your wheel works regarding its own sensitivity settings, or maybe that's not applicable to PC.

7. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

I've unlocked automatic rotation yes. Tried all settings - lowest, highest, and in between.
    As for car:
    Any really. I like the slower Renault Clio Cup 200 Turbo for example.

My wheel works kind of like a pc controller.
    It's not officially supported by PC, but the Thrustmaster T100 driver allows this T80 to be used on PC.

As I say, ALL my other driving games have massive degrees of sensitivity, depending on my wheel settings, and of course in game settings.

In this game though, I have two choices: Unbearably sensitive, and almost bearably sensitive, but still too sensitive to enjoy the game.

If I have the sensitivity at anything less than zero, it's totally unplayable.

8. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

I don't want to keep bumping this thread but I actually like this game.
    The main reason is it feels so intuitive when approaching bends. Maybe the most realistic I've played.
    But I can't play it with this over sensitive steering.
    But the game was so badly supported by the original developers, I'll never understand why.
    After the success of rfactor1 they could have knocked the ball out of the park with this one.
    I'm glad the new devs seems to be breathing some life into this game.

Please anyone with a little knowledge, how can I force the game to have much more dampened and less sensitive steering!?

Or I will have to uninstall :/

My best solution so far:

I had to put sensitivity to 0%, but it still to sensitive lol
    If I put speed sensitivity to 100%, it's better when I drive at speed at least.
    Just too sensitive when driving slow.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

Spend a hundred bucks on a g27 , problem solved

10. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

More like 300 bucks, since I am currently in India.
    I might get a Thrustmaster T150 though.

But again, this little T80 here works fine on all other driving games I have here.
    Sometimes needs a little tweaking, but I have always been able to get varying sensitivity levels.
    It's seems to me there is not enough flexibility regarding the sensitivity options in Rfactor2

11. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

What is your minimum torque value and what is your steering lock value in car set-up page?

theVenerable likes this.
  12. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

That's it!
    I opened up the car settings and was confronted with masses of options, including the all important steering lock.
    It was set to 900, I pulled it down to the minimum 240, and the game is perfect now with my wheel.
    I can't find much info on Torque. it says 'FWD' I think.

Regardless, I'll probably never dig deep enough to understand all those settings.
    I'm just glad I got the fundamental issue fixed.

I'm not a hardcore simmer, but I also don't get much joy from Burnout style games.

This game feels absolutely great to drive, as I said before, really intuitive and fun when coming in to the bends.

So, in the end, I think this game has more options regarding steering, and not less than other games as I previously feared.

This may be my new go-to driving game.

Automobilista is fantastic, but there is something about this game that really satisfies me. Tyre physics maybe?

Thanks again, you fixed my game ! :)

13. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Yes, the minimum is 240 degrees. Also the minimum torque setting is under the "Controller" tab in the settings menu. Check this guide and set it up correctly and you will be a happy driver again.

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1749214

Also, these are my settings: instructions.png

I also keep any force feedback centering effect in the wheel driver off. This way I only get the centering effect the game calculates. If I also enable it in the driver, both the game and the driver add their own centering effects on top of each other and that isn't nice for me. They show as:

Spring Effect Strength
    Damper Effect Strength
    Centering Effect Strength

all are set to 0%. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    theVenerable likes this.
  14. theVenerable

theVenerable Registered

Thanks for the awesome help!

I took the plunge ordered a Thrustmaster T150 from Amazon India.
    It's about the only wheel here that was not too expensive and of good quality.
    I believe it's a great entry level wheel, and actually can give some higher spec wheels a run for their money according to the reviews.

I'll get my teeth into it when it arrives and go through the set up guides

:D

bwana likes this.
  15. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

@theVenerable
    That's great! I am sure you will enjoy that wheel. I am having a blast with 10 years old Logitech Formula Force Ex, so I am positive T150 will give you a satisfactory experience.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help. I am a newbie to RFactor 2 as well and a lot of people did all they could to help me just a few days ago so I am trying to return the favour to the community. Take care and may your lap times be fast ;)