Immersion ideas...

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Donnie, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Donnie

Donnie Registered

Edit January 4th 2018

I had another thought these days :D and I wanted to share it with you !
    It's about sound.

Sound
    One of the missing things in rF2 sounds, are the cockpit ambiant sounds (maybe not missing on all cars, but a lot of room for optimisations)
    I was thinking of the scratching sounds when the car bottoms or touches a solid element
    On the last automobilista patch, I felt that they have added some new ambiant sounds in cars, and an audible one for bottom scratching (finaly \o/)... But, it sounds a bit too distant to feel real !
    So I thought it would be perfect to manage the sound with layers (I'm not a sound pro, so I'm doing guesses). I think there should be a layer to isolate the contacts sounds.
    As the contact sounds are spreading in all the car, they are naturaly stronger than other outside noises. I mean, they are louder AND you can hear it coming almost from everywhere in the car.
    These sounds should be as loud as the engine (or close to it), to feel it "around" you !

Thanks for reading :D
    Cheers \o/

----

Hi everybody !

As we talk a lot of the lack of immersion in rF2 (and at some point it's true), I would like to propose my ideas that I haven't seen on any topic. (or maybe I didn't find it with the search engin)

First, I don't know the amount of work needed for any of these propositions, so I don't want to look stupid or "over-asking"... These are just ideas like that !!

Shaking wipers
    I'm talking about the shake you can see when the speed is getting higher (less visible on a car with center wiper of course), it would totaly help to feel a bit more the speed :)

Other shaking parts
    It would be extremly cool to have other shaking parts on cars !
    For instance, on a race car with fiber body, you can see the hood shaking on bumps at higher speeds.
    Or antennas (for the equiped cars), or the traction hook, when it's a soft one (textile), or the exhaust pipe when reving...
    Of course, moving things IN the car would be magic ^_^

Better track cams
    I know it sounds a bit stupid or just a little detail... BUT, I think that, good cameras (like in AC), gives you a lot of pleasure to watch replays and helps a lot to feel the quality of the sim !!
    I'm also pretty sure that the community could grow up faster because of a good first impression.
    (now it's a bit "raw" when you look the first time a rF2 replay)
    The fixed cam on AC are amazing to watch, because you can totaly feel the weight and grip of the car !
    (just an exemple, and NO, I don't want to transform rF2 in an AC copy).

Windshield
    Maybe i'm wrong, but I think that the shadows are not affecting the windshield.
    Could be cool :) (maybe adding cracks after a crash would be nice too)

Tyres physics
    Ok, it's more of a question than an idea.
    Are the tyres getting bigger (diametre) when speeding up ? edit : (answer is yes :) )
    On a F1 for instance, tyres can be 2 or 3 cm "higher" at full speed...
    I include it on immersion because it affects the car setup depending on downforce and top speed !

Shifting mod
    Blocking the shifting style to use only the real shift version of the car you are driving...
    (if it's a H-pattern, you can't use sequential) of course, only if the good device is detected.
    And for H pattern, when not pressing the clutch, no gear engaging !

Seat adjustement
    Please unlock this thing ... it's astonishingly anoying o_o (I know, on mod cars, it's the creators fault)
    It's very frustrating to be "too far" from the wheel on some cars

Rain
    Haha, just kidding, I won't talk about it :p (over talked topic for years !)

Sparks (and tarmac contact)
    Second joke \o/... By the way, a good scratch sound to indicate that the bottom touched, would be perfect, even without the sparks coming out. I also think that a scratch sound is needed for any part that touches the ground (Front spoilers that are going under the tarmac are frustrating, but I assume that it's really a BIG work to get that level of accuracy)

FFB
    I really think that one thing missing on the FFB, is the engine vibrations.
    Something very very light, to help you feel what you should normaly feel from your ass (no, not a fart...)
    Hard to explain but I hope you get it :)

Car setup screen
    Do you remember in Live For Speed when you setup a car in the showroom that shows you "live" modifications... and that button to make the car jump, so you can feel/understand how much a setup affects the car ? ... ... WE NEED IT !!!

Oil on track (Yep, I know, this one is tough ! )
    When an engine blows or on a crash that damages engine, maybe an "oil stain" could be generated around the car, using the rain reflexions and grip on that spot. (sounds cool, uh ?!)

We have a lot of other topics to get a better immersion, but they've all been talked about in others posts !

Thank you very much for reading it to the end :D
    Best sim ever \o/
    Cheers,
    Donnie

PS : PLEASE, do something with the Honda NSX sound ... this is aweful -_- this car deserve top quality sounds !! (and to be DX11 compatible :p)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, the tires visually increase diameter in rF2 to match the physics. The physics increase existed in rF1, but there was no visual.

3. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Incidental sounds to go with the various shaking car parts. It makes a massive difference to immersion when you have great incidental sounds. While the engine noises are obviously essential they are not the only sounds that make up the experience of actually being inside a race car. The rattles and creeks of tortured materials (more thinking tin tops here) add a lot to immersion IMO

Donnie likes this.
  4. Donnie

Donnie Registered

Cool :D ... problem solved ^_^

5. Donnie

Donnie Registered

And you are totaly right \o/ ... Sound is 50% of the immersion :D

bravotangosix likes this.