AIW path in Spa'66

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Cristuck_60, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

Hi. I'm running in ISI_Belgium_1966-v201 with the MAK-Corp_Group_C_0.96_rfcmp Prototypes mod. The problem is that the aiw path is very close to the edges. They crashed every lap, and can't complete a single lap. Can it be fixed? Thanks.

2. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

I think I've post this thread in the bad place

3. Richard729

Richard729 Registered

Spa '66 is my favourite rF2 track - great with the Brabham BT 20.
    Unfortunately Eau Rouge/Raidillon often ends in carnage - even with just 9 AI opponents.
    As Cristuck_60 said - the cars get too close to the edge of the track and hit the straw bales. I've tried several AI settings, but it happens in about 50% of races. I usually have to restart the race.

I hope this can be fixed in the DX11 version. Thanks for your help.

Jon and Cristuck_60 like this.
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You can try allowing the AI to learn the track, adjusting aggression, or - most importantly - allow them to qualify before the race. Allowing them to qualify means they are more in the right order, with faster guys infront and slower guys behind. With a less mixed up grid order there is less AI panic.

I know it's now a solution but each may help a bit.

Alex72 and Jon like this.
  5. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

Hi Tim. Question: If I adjust lowing the agression, they run more carefully, more on the center of the track?

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Ever since the switch to DX11, I've noticed very strange behavior from all the AI on all the tracks. Singleplayer is all I play, so I've gotten very intimate with the AI in 6 years. Something changed with the DX11 update. A lot more mistakes from the AI. I get the safety car every race at least once if not multiple times.

rF2 used to have the best AI in the business. Now something is really off :(

7. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

Hi buddhatree, the problem isn't in Rfactor. The AI path was made very close to the edges, sometimes outside the road for a big car like a 91 Prototype. I think that was made with F1 from the 60. The only solution I see, is working on the AI path with an editor. I don't know if this exist. I have one for the Rfactor 1, but doesn't work in RF 2.

8. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

I've tried with autocalibration #1 and #2, but they still crash every lap!

9. 88mphTim

They *should* make less mistakes, but it's still not that way all the time. It should be like a human running more within their limits, so errors are less likely, but there is always the possiblility they run wide, brake late, etc.

Cristuck_60 likes this.
  10. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

I've try everything, but they still crash every lap. Ai don't complete a single lap. The aiw path MUST be changed

88mphTim, David Kolody and Guimengo like this.
  11. 88mphTim

Thanks for the feedback. Only extra advice I can give at this point is to make sure you let them have a qualifying session to get in roughly a correct order starting the race.

Cristuck_60 likes this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I've noticed the same with the Howstons and the 917K at some tracks, they slide into the corners and thus one of the back wheels goes on the grass and a lot of the time they spin. The AI algorithm needs to take the different car widths and driving styles into account somehow and use an offset of the AIW path.

Guimengo and Cristuck_60 like this.
  13. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

Saddly, I don't use this track with Prototypes. Only in private practice, for fun.

14. Cristuck_60

Cristuck_60 Registered

I think that the creators of many tracks, made the AIW Path too close to the limits. Bigger cars run poorly

Jon likes this.
  15. Jon

Jon Registered

I found this thread by chance but I believe that is definitely the case, the AIW path runs too close to the edge. I've been watching the AI race (the Brabham) and most of the time they crash against the outside part of the track.

Normally, with 14 AI plus myself (the same number which stated the 1966 Belgium GP), there are on average six retirements resulting from an average of three crashes on the first lap alone.

Does anyone know whether a revised AIW exists for this track, even better if it included the names of the actual drivers who participated in 1966. I noticed Jim Clark is spelt Jim Spark for instance.

16. Jon

Jon Registered

The qualifying is a good idea. But what's the best way for the cars to learn the track? Is it to simply to set a two-hour practice session? If so, by keep repeating this process (for example each week), would the cars in turn get better and better after each practice session is run?

Finally, is there any news when Spa '66 will be updated to DX11? To quote the Roadmap Update May 2017 "the classic Belgium track is being finished as we speak". Did something happen to prevent it from being finished? I only ask because that was three months ago.

Cheers
    Jon

17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I think its only for the session they get better. I always do qualify and i rarely see issues. In qualy they can spin off or crash but after qualy they run pretty good, and its a damn fine feature. :) Maybe not so fine if you want a quick race tho, lol, but hey we are simmers here so qualy seems like a normal thing to do. :D

Jon likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Registered

Yeah I'll try the qualifying. Normally I either do practice or a race, but on different occasions and not in the same session depending on my mood. I'm happy doing the qualifying together with the race if it means the AI is at its best. I've been watching the AI race and in most part it's excellent, one could easily be fooled into thinking it was actual players driving. I'm still preparing myself for a full 28 lap race to see how things pan out. Rain would have made it a little more interesting, hopefully that'll be fixed soon :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Alex72 likes this.
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In a word, No. Running a practice session would be purely for getting rubber on the track which the AI use to their advantage just like a human would. Qualifying them means the faster AI are up the front and not at the back trying to force their way through the field, that's if they AI have a Talent file ;)

As for AI learning the track you would have to do try those Learning Methods, which is more time consuming but once it's done it's done. They may or may not help remember, depends on loads of variables of the AI.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Well, indeed it was intended by ISI to work exactly that way that Jon describes, by AI producing .wis-files
    But like many things in rF2 this feature seems broken or not elaborated correctly.
    Still donĀ“t know if they producing .wis files at all with newer builds.