Online fun!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gorzasty, Jun 29, 2017.

1. gorzasty

gorzasty Registered

Hello
    I wonder why there is almost no open races online that I can join. Every server listed trying to download me some mod during connection try. In many cases with no result. I thought the RF2 since is present on Steam and is in VR and with DX11 should be more popular... Few years ago I was racing with Rf2 in different leagues, but now I don't have time for that. Still like Rf2 for what it offers, but online is the pain in the ass... IS there something that I don't know about online racing or it is really so bad? Take a look at AC, don't mention about iR. Every title has many players day and night, but Rf2 is password leagues only?

2. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Unfortunately at this moment yes, random public racing is a wasteland. Otherwise the league racing is pretty alive with a lot of communities and races every day, these races are the more rewarding and fun, it's the best way to play an online racing game.
    In rF2 (AMS as well) this is the situation, but, on AC, Project Cars etc, you have a lot of public races with 20+ players, each of them ready to kill you in the 1st corner. Therefore, online public races are a waste of time everywhere.

peterchen and Mikk Quickmikk like this.
  3. gorzasty

gorzasty Registered

So sadly I was right... Yes, I've know what open servers means, but it's not always so disappointing. iR is OK, and Minorating servers in AC are nice too. A lot of good drivers you can meet there. Also I know how good racing with a friends is in any leagues, but like I said - I'don't have time for this now so i'm looking for something else. AI in RF2 is very nice, but still... not human ;) Online open races would be gr8 if somebody could filter crashers out and get rid of this strange "mod stuff".
    I've heard about some open 397 servers are alive, but couldn't find them today... shame. I can see many good changes in RF2 these days, but not in the online area. And this is also what makes game much more popular. So maybe it's time to bring it in its glory ;) - like RF1 was!

Jake Loewenstein likes this.
  4. jjcook

jjcook Registered

there are people doing pick ups/open races - but its usually at specific times depending on time zone, for example i do open races at premier on wednesday night in north america - i was surprised this week to see people on the 79 mod doing open races ...so its not as simple as just jumping on when you want and finding people to race but there are places you can join in without the commitment of a league - another example - tuedays before an f1 race SRH has an open F1 practice server that fills up that night

it does take some determination though to find and connect with people outside of simply joining a league

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, there is a brazilian group that does open races every night, some days they use rF2, some others Automobilista and AC. It's pretty decent, they separate like 10 minutes before qualify to practice starts it helps a lot to make the race a bit more clean

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Not in this life....

7. Emery

Emery Registered

rF2 ensures that everyone joining a server has the same content so there aren't mismatches. The first part is a mod that defines the content on the server. If you don't have the correct content, then a second part downloads the required content... great system, but not all server admins configure it properly and payware content (at this time) isn't going to be available for auto-download.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

personally I'm waiting for few more optimisations & new UI before I have a go at hosting again

in the meantime I'm keeping an on sim race for life historic f2 league & hope to join them for the Indianapolis online race
    they are doing a sebring one prior but I don't like most of the low quality 3rd party tracks

9. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I had a lot of fun recently on the S397 Sao Paulo F2 server. Had about 5 consecutive races with at least 10 drivers. That gave me hope for the future :).

I think people go to the server list and just filter out the servers that have no players, because who wants to race alone am I right? so servers with 0 players are much more likely to stay that way.

What I did that day was just join the empty S397 server and wait a little, just do practice laps in the mean time. After a while a couple of drivers joined, some left, but some other joined too until there was like 5 people there, at that point it just took off and stayed alive for a few hours.
    When people see that there are actually drivers there they are more likely to join and it compounds from there, so someone has to be the first person that starts it all, and be patient.

10. Jake Loewenstein

Jake Loewenstein Registered

Pickup racing is fantastic. One day we might have enough userbase.