Released DX11 and VR Open Beta, Is Here!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 1, 2017.

1. Mulero

Mulero Registered

That's not true. Many of us have much lower performance in DX11. S397 has been working since the release of the beta of DX11, but for the moment is not solved.

Many people have gone back to DX9 or stopped playing in hopes that this problem will be solved. In my case the performance is almost 50% higher in DX9, with other cars even more.

FPS.jpg

Ari Antero likes this.
  2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I'm not sure how much of the thread you have read in preparation to using DX11 so I will refer you to this post as it may make a difference if you haven't already followed this important information. https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/dx11-and-vr-open-beta-is-here.55270/ Hope this helps you out. Also if you have run any of the tracks in DX9 and they get updated to DX11 you have to empty the folders again to remove legacy data.

Having said that I must admit that performance is down slightly on my system while using DX11 but I do have everything on maximum setting.
    Sorry.. Sys Spec
    MBO Gigabyte H97
    i5 4690 3.5g
    16g DDR3
    GTX970
    1920 x 1080
    average fps around 98

Pedals Fanatec v2
    Wheel Fanatec v2

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Accusing me to lie is strong statement from you. why should I lie ? I am only sharing my experience about how DX11 is working to me with hardware I own and can test.

It might be related
    MBO: X99, CPU: i7-5960X, Ram: DDR4@3000, GTX 1080Ti Windows 10
    MBO: Z87, CPU: i7-4770k, Ram: DDR3@2666, GTX 780Ti, Windows 10.
    VS
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 GPU: AMD RX570 4GB RAM: 8 GB DDR3 OS: Winodows 7.
    Or
    it can simply be you who don't have a clue how your OS and drivers are working etc.
    Be careful before you claim that others are lying.

4. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer Registered

Ari, nobody is accusing you of lying. Just like you people are also sharing their experience.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did that the day beta arrived, read through the whole thing, just didn't have the time to play it.

Anyway, I have solved the problem. "Optimize for compute performance" was the culprit (no idea why was that even on as I certainly didn't turn it on, thanks nVidia). I now average way over 100 FPS (med to high settings with few at max). Turns out Q9550 is still pulling strong, and I should not be happy to to have rF2 run at only 57 FPS.

Ari Antero likes this.
  5. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I do not call it a liar, but if you say this "Build ID: 1879993 has about same performance as DX9 if original ISI / S397- DX11 content are used, not PP." And does not specify that it refers only to you, is implying that this is so for everyone, which is not true.

Great specs by the way, I guess you will not have any problem now to play with the 3 screens... ;)

Problem is not the PC. As you indicated, there is some problem with some older processors. Performance is very good in DX9 and the CPU has never been a problem with rF2, but there is something wrong in the DX11 version that is killing performance. S397 is aware of this problem so we can only expect a solution at some point, hopefully soon.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

It's probably not the CPU that is holding back DX11 performance. I just re-did some of my old CPU tests on the latest DX11 build. I downclocked my ancient i5-750 from 3.2 GHz back to factory 2.66 GHz, it made 0% difference in FPS both on the starting grid and when alone on track. Re-did the test with forcing 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM to run at 1333 MHz, same results, no difference. Finally, I downclocked my GPU core, and that was the only thing that made a massive difference, as expected. My conclusion is, rF2 is 100% GPU bound on single screen default settings.

7. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

after so many months of promises, carefully selected screenshots, I've been waiting since my original posts on this topic damning the DX11 update to see if further releases or changes would fix the situation.
    They haven't.
    Did Studio 397 really believe that slotting a middleware library in to support DX11 was going to fly in a real time simulator?
    This title isn't CPU bound and hasn't been CPU bound for many years. Anyone claiming otherwise really truly has no idea what they're talking about and hasn't run the benchmarks.
    There isn't an 'individual, old CPU' issue, or a driver version issue, a VR SDK issue or any other OS or GPU related issue. This is simple. Codebase + standard (DX9) engine works fine.
    Codebase + middleware (YEBIS) + DX11 engine does not work properly in many many ways.
    Tonemap problems present in the original switch to DX9 are back and everywhere.
    Performance deg is massive in almost all cases and game even drops out of realtime in some PCs

As for 'Studio 397 have acknowledged' this is great, but seriously, what basic testing was even done before this over-hyped release? Just get 3 PCs of different specs, run game. If you're even 1/4 of a regular rF2 gamer you will see IMMEDIATELY the range of problems and switch back. Releasing now has just lost a bunch more rf2 gamers who have given up.

Are studio 397 going to comment, release an update, or is the time to move to a new title really, truly, finally approaching, for the first time since 2005?

-Losing faith here. Love rF2 physics. Such a huge, huge shame.

peterchen likes this.
  8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I was waiting improved performance with DX11 but when I did read that coal is not to get worse performance then DX9 I was surprised as gMotor is not know deliver the game experience which many of us are expecting.

Factor 2 DX9 is broken out off Nvidia Inspector's bit editor and gMotor don't work correctly with multi core processors.
    I bought rFactor 2 as early beta years ago and my experience in rFactor 2 has been 2 "blood, sweat and tears"from the day one. There has been many DX11 beta releases and it seems that old bugs above are not going to be fixed.

I believe also that is the time to move on to a new title "Losing faith here. Love rF2 physics. Such a huge, huge shame."

:(

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Put an overclock on that CPU & upgrade that gpu & you'll be fine

I assume your trying to run those 3 screens at high resolutions thus the performance issues

10. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

personally i find CPU load is very low in this game. ive been with rf1 since 05 and rf2 since the first beta release and i was relieved when rf2 finally entered the 'super smooth graphics' territory after early issues and the bad cyan tonemap problems were solved, and content matured. the dx11 upgrade has basically undone almost all of that.
    rF2 shines on its realism alone and if you take that away in a quest for not-much-better graphics its going to die. it needs a huge graphics uplift to justify such significant performance disruption. worth it for VR? maybe. it has to get smoother though and it has to stay in real time. performance on an i7 with a 1070 shouldn't be this bad
    I get it we had to take some pain to get through to the better graphics but im feeling a bit short-changed on the 397 sales pitch, myself. fingers crossed though and no hate for the devs, just want it sorted out badly.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You were promised nothing, except to go into a beta programm - if that is even something that you are aware about - and stuff like content and core updates have been delivered in a steady time frame so I don't get your overly negative vibe at all. If a beta with problems and issues is something that makes you bail the boat, I would advice you to never ever go into a beta programm again. Why don't you post your feedback (perf log etc.) in the approprate thread or switch back to DX9 and wait until things have settled down? And the UI will come pretty soon as far as I can tell. I also find it arrogant, when people feel the need to speak in behalve of everyone else. I consider myself an average rF2 gamer and I have not switched back to DX9 because the tone mapping works much better, so I don't get where you see the inherent tonemap problems, the shadows work much better accross the board on updated content and the image quality has imrpoved alot. That's my personal experience and I would like you to acknowledge this aswell. I am sorry for you, that not everything is working up to your expectations, but it is definetly not as bad for everyone and as with so many things in gaming down to personal hardware and software specifications. If people are losing faith so fast after not even two months of beta testing, I wonder if they are in a good environment that fits them. Two months or even half a year is nothing in software development.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I feel you Travis! My hopes are blown in the wind. I feel that this won´t work.
    Only thing that helps is someone with big money jumps in and make a new title from it.
    Otherwise I hope Pcars 2 will be this advanced from its predecessor that it become a valid alternative,
    as AC isn´t driveable.

Ari Antero likes this.
  13. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Personal experience with dx11:
    Max settings, 1080p, video v-sync, AA lvl 1, FXAA on.
    Things are regularly more steady with special effects turned down to high.

Most mods/tracks on my own I get steady 60fps, some with heavy shadows I must turn shadows down to high.
    DX11 optimized cars, I must turn down opponent detail to high/med with more than 5-10 cars on screen.
    Some un-optimized cars I have to turn the shadows down as well.

It was stated(promised?) in the early "roadmap" updates, that dx11 "should" bring a performance increase.
    Increase, not so much... but it didnt break the game either.

As far as Im concerned, the biggest loss was the loss of TrackMap and Telemetry support, it makes it a lot harder to set up a car. Hopefully the new UI will have as many, if not, more features than TM.

I would say my system spec is moderate at best. All parts are 3-5 years old(except HDD). And heavily gamed upon. :D
    ECS 960-M3
    8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz
    FX 8320e @ 3.4ghz
    MSI GTX 960 4gb GAMING @ 1215 Core and 3905 Memory clock
    42" Visio single monitor
    Logi G27 w/ clutch & 6spd
    and an office chair. XD!!!

Cheers!

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Well, just a few posts above I demonstrated that CPU has no impact on performance in rF2 (unless we talk about running out of realtime issues). Some people say rF2 is CPU bound in VR specifically, ok, I can buy that, but I would like to see some graphs or numbers to support that. As of today, I have seen none that showed upgrading or overclocking their CPU improved FPS.
    The lower the CPU load, the better. That just means CPU won't be a bottleneck at all. Most modern games aim for max GPU usage and low CPU usage. If a game uses constantly near 100% CPU it usually means it's badly optimized and performing calculations on CPU that could be done more efficiently on the GPU.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I just hope they find their way back 2 patches ago, lol. Performance was really good (for me anyway). Maybe not as good as DX9 but i never saw FPS dip under 60 going through a bunch of combos and AI races. Tested the last 2 patches and dropped under 60 FPS immediately in pits and around areas of the tracks.

Im sure they are working on it and hopefully can get it better again, and also the UI im sure is taking time away from updates. But yes i also stopped as i cant enjoy it when its not smooth. Too hard to drive bumper to bumper and immersion lost.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Use a faster GPU or multiview and you will get your CPU limit. My systems spec. Core i7 3770k, 1070GTX, resoultion: 5040x1050
    Silverstone: 29 cars in the grid standing @the end of it ill get 48fps while the GPU utilisation stays around 70%. With CPU OC i get 55fps.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd like to add my voice to the folks giving feedback about the reversed FFB on the F-Renault 3.5 2014. Porsche GT3 RS v2 wheel.

patchedupdemon and Adrianstealth like this.
  18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

So you think having 3 pc's is better than you using the player base to test a BETA RELEASE,come on now,can you not see how wrong that is

19. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I'm not sure what has changed recently with the updates but my system seems to have a lot of stuttering happening lately. FPS has only dropped marginally but the stuttering makes it difficult to judge corners and seems to be more prevalent in cars with a full windscreen.
    As an example, the USF is effected much less than the Nissan GTR 2011.
    The stuttering seems to occur MORE when behind another car and EVEN MORE on corners (while behind cars) I'm not sure if the brake lights of the car in front are partly the cause???
    I haven't changed any of the settings on the PC or in game so I am puzzled as to why the dramatic drop in performance.

My PC specs are listed in post #886.
    As I said, the FPS is only down a touch on previously noted rates but stuttering has increased substantially.

Hope this feedback is of some use and apologize for the lack of hard data.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Question to @Christopher Elliott : Has this FFB situation - sudden reversal of FFB - been acknowledge by the team?

Adrianstealth and patchedupdemon like this.