Sim Racing servo ffb systems : OSW & Bodnar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Eddy

Eddy Registered

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Thanks, I know this forum but I don't understand German language that well and using a few translators, it was typically a mess :)

3. traind

traind Registered

If anyone is in the New York metro area for a visit Crimson Simulations has 2 OSW wheels and a Bodnar v2 available to test back to back. OSWs have a Lenze and a small Mige. Naid also has 2 types of motion rigs too. It is an awesome racing sim toystore and well worth a visit!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Narrowbackwing and Adrianstealth like this.
  4. Marek Lesniak

Guys, are there any Lenze 'MCS12H15-' owners here on the forum? Notice there's dash sign '-' in that model (instead of 'L'). I'm interested in Machine Tab settings in Granity sofware, especially the values for coil resistance and inductance (MR and ML).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

6. Marek Lesniak

Thanks! You have it set for ~29Nm? :D

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all, nice to see this thread still alive

I can say I've tried quite a few OSW's & owned a bodnar V1 and currently use a bodnar V2

They are all fantastic & all better than the consumer wheels out there ,
    usually the higher costs components & systems feel more refined & cleaner ffb delivery,

Trying before you make a decision is the very best way ,
    if not possible then best you are willing to pay for

These full servo systems are the very highest type of force systems available to mankind

Just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
    Narrowbackwing likes this.
  8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yes, i think so.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I was asked to tell about the settings related to tuning OSW set (Argon + Lenze MCS12H15-) I wrote an email so i thought i throw some of it here also. There is stuff about rf2, AMS and AC. I hope there is not too much things wrong in the text.

MMOS settings:

So, You need to adjust the steering angle yourself from mmos. In game steering angle adjustments doesn't seem to works with osw.
    Not sure if there is newer version of mmos where that would work.
    In rf2 and AMS you see the steering ange/rotation in garage menu before starting a race.
    AC doesn't show the steering angle of the car so you have to quess.
    In AMS you also need to set the steering lock (maximum angle of car's wheels).

Steering stop: When you run out of steering angle you hit the steering stop and these settings chance what the stop is like.
    Not that important setting.

Overall filter: This is filter for all forces coming to your wheel. Softens the ffb. Also causes some delay to ffb.
    I keep this at 10 for all games.

Min/max force: no need to adjust.

Damping filter: Separate filter for damping effect. Softens the damping effect. Also causes delay for the damping effect.
    Too much delay for damping effect and you wheel starts to oscillate more easily.

Friction filter: same thing as above, but for friction effect
    Inertia filter: same thing as above, but for Inertia effect

btw, inertia effect doesn't work like it should, for me atleast.

Desktop effect: effect that is on when you are not in game(not needed)

User effect: effect that is on when you are in game. You can have only one effect to be turned on.
    For RF2 I don't need this. I only use RF2's own damping. You can adjust that from controller.json text file.

These lines:
    "Steering resistance coefficient":0.4,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0.13,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",

And there is my damping settings also. (More saturation-> more resistance with high wheel rotating speeds.)

Other games behave differently related to user effects. For AMS i need to use damping effect and saturation put both sliders to 100% and then make the adjustments in "controller" text file. Controller file for AMS can be at Documents/Automobilista or in steam's Automobilista folder.

FFB steer friction coefficient="1.00000" // Coefficient to use for steering friction. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering friction. Range: 0 - 1.0
    FFB steer damper coefficient="1.00000" // Coefficient to use for steering damper. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    FFB steer damper saturation="1.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering damper. Range: 0 - 1.0

i'm not sure if those settings there is the setting i use. Might be that i took those lines from a file that is not in use.

In AC I turn damping from mmos user effects ON and adjust with mmos sliders normally.
    My settings AC:
    Damping: 32
    Saturation: 14

After changing mmos settings i always select eprom from ffb configuration and press save.
    Those was mmos related settings.

About game's in-game settings:
    In RF2's in-game setting i use ffb smoothing: 4
    In AC there is little bit more setting to fiddle with.
    My settings:
    Gain: 17
    Filter: 0
    kerb effect: 100
    road effects: 100
    slip effect: 20

Also i changed this line in "assetto_corsa" text file:

[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
    FF_SKIP_STEPS=2 ; Physics engine steps to skip in order to accomodate wheels with lower FF input buffer

To me this felt better than the default setting.

In AMS there is a bit more stuff to do like: changing SmoothingLevel and MaxForceAtSteeringRack for every car separately from "RealFeelPlugin" text file. I usually lowered the SmoothingLevel a bit from default and MaxForceAtSteeringRack values need to be increased about 1/3 from default to avoid the higher forces to be clipped by game.
    Then from ingame ffb settings i use the "pure 360 hz" (In garage menu Options->controls)

Granity settings:
    From granity you can adjust TBW and CIS to change how ffb feels like.

CIS can be on or off, but i recommend to keep this off because it adds delay to ffb.

TBW changes how quickly the force goes to the setpoint torque. (computer says give 15 Nm, with TBW: 3300hz it takes (1/3300)sec for the torque to rise to that 15 Nm)

I have TBW at 3300hz. My steering wheel is not especially light so with lighter wheel you might want to use lower value.
    If you try desktop damper effect, High TBW causes damper effect force to come in a bit unsmoothly, but in game that doesn't seem to be a problem for me. That little bit of unsmoothness when going from 0 force to some force doesn't show ingame so much because there is some force coming to wheel most of the time. heavier wheel also absorbs some of that unsmoothness

Miro likes this.
  10. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

@Korva7 - very useful post , cheers .

11. apostlegato

apostlegato Registered

Hi Beano (or anyone else who could help), I am building a direct drive system with the Lenze 12h15L. My problem is mine has a resolver and the company that makes the encoder has no stock and a 12 week lead time on top of a minimum purchase of 10. Do you have any info on building one with a resolver or info on how to obtain and install a workable encoder for the lenze? I have done much research and have contacted lenze, granite and numerous distributors for the encoder. Lenze gave me the specs for the 4096 ppr encoder that would be on the 12H15LC40.... I have seen a post where you(Beano) were using the lenze motor with simucube/ioni pro hc and a 960 watt 48v ps. Is that with the c40 4096 encoder or have you installed a different one?
    Thanks for any help,
    Mike

12. apostlegato

apostlegato Registered

Anyone? I know there is a lot of discussion on iracing but my subscription is expired and don't plan to renew until I have my wheel developed. Seems there was a lot going on in this thread a few months back.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Not sure where beano is
    I use bodnar so never had to mess with components etc

Why not order couple of options & send back/sell least bear one

14. apostlegato

apostlegato Registered

Thats not a bad idea. I actually thought about ordering the Argon drive along with the resolver adapter they sell. I know one of the builds uses a resolver/Argon combination. It was either Bodnar or Bernard. It just seems all the hype is on simucube/ioni. If I knew I could source the encoder for the lenze I wouldn't bother with Argon. I'm even thinking about buying another lenze motor (different model) with the proper encoder just to get the encoder off of it.

15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

There are better places to reach Beano:
    iRacing Forums or Granite Devices Community Forums, there are more but, I don't recall. He does frequent the GD forums pretty regularly (SimuCube threads). here

16. apostlegato

apostlegato Registered

Iracing subscription expired. But didn't know about the granite devices forums. I will check that out ASAP. Thank you very much.

17. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

hi,

i need your help regarding OSW with Argon Drive and small Mige. The problem is as follows:

FFB is there and for example off- road the effects are there. Also when the car stands still i have steering resistence. But when i accelerate i have no steering resistance, all the other effects are there.

Has anybody an idea?

ps.: in mmos all filters are off, no user effects.

18. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Hi Steffen , if you can screen shot your settings in Mmos / Granite and game settings I'm sure someone can assist , unfortunately I'm in the middle of a new rig / pc/ home build this past two weeks , so I can't compare .

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

You can try increasing the steering resistance coefficent from controller.json.
    Or you can set that to 0 and just use the mmos damping effect. both have the same effect.

20. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

Hi guys,

these are my FFB Settings:

I hope you have a solution for me. The idea setting the damping in MMOS felt a bit better. Maybe someone has good values for that as well.

MMOS.PNG Granity - 1 connect.PNG Granity - 2 goals.PNG Granity - 3 machine.PNG Granity - 4 tuning.PNG Granity - 5 fault limits.PNG Granity - 6 1 Testing fault limits.PNG Granity - 6 2 Testing fault limits.PNG