Using Z1 Dashboard as an overlay - DX11 handy

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Shawn Jacobs, May 25, 2017.

1. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Edit
    Here's my actual guide from RD- was a lot easier to copy and paste it then I thought it would be :)

Like a lot of you I have felt a bit lost with out Trackmap in DX11, tried a few tablet apps etc but couldn't find anything I liked and unfortunately don't have space for a 4th screen to use Z1 on. So to resolve this I have gone down the path of using Z1 as an overlay.

http://www.z1simwheel.com/dashboard/index.cfm

[​IMG]

To do this I took the following steps

1. RF2 must be set to windowed mode (not borderless)

[​IMG]

2. Set up all of my dashboards where I want them on the screen

3. Set all dashboards to always on top and title bar to none
    [​IMG]
    4. download this nifty little windows app http://www.lukepaynesoftware.com/projects/peek-through/
    This is what will enable you to set the windows to transparent, and also even more interesting you can also set them to be clicked through. I've set the keyboard command to shift F1, this is important if you decide to use my scripts which you see below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5. Once you have got everything installed and are happy with your layout, I have created some scripts I use to open and close z1 dashboard.

link updated 26/05/17
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/80jxmfsnfeap5m7/Z1 Dashboards script.zip?dl=0

You will see in the zip file there a 6 different open VBS files, pick the one for the number of dashboards you require. eg: I am using 4 so I will run the 4 x Z1 Dashboard.

Once selected the script will open up the number of dashes defined and if you set your keyboard command to Shift F1 will also make them transparent.

Lastly when you have finished using them run the Close Z1 Dashboard and all instances of Z1 will be closed.

Hopefully this comes in handy to some of you guys, if you have any questions please let me know.

Cheers

Shawn

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    yashiman, Fern Lop, Prodigy and 3 others like this.
  2. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Updated the timings in the start up script, download link in original post updated.

If you are finding the screens aren't always going transparent, increase the timing in the script.

3. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Thanks for the guide Shawn. I'll definitely try this.

Shawn Jacobs likes this.
  4. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

This is fantastic, thank you. Makes life much easier.

Shawn Jacobs likes this.
  5. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Cheers!!

I actually tried jumping back to dx9 and track map today just to test, did one lap and went nope much happier with dx11 and z1.

Only thing I wish it had was a proper delta Bar and a better tyre app, but it's still great for now!

adamfarmer likes this.
  6. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Yeah, the only real failing of Z1 is the delta time which always drifts way out of sync after a few laps and gets completely messed up once you've pitted/escaped/paused etc.

7. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

definitely, it's freaken annoying! lol That is the major one I can't wait to be release in DX11, I really should learn to race without it, but once you are use to it it's hard to go back!

8. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

In the buttons tab you can assign a key to reset your deltas so you can restart it as if its a completely new session if that happens, otherwise you have to beat your previous best time and it will then work as you expect it to.... either/or

adamfarmer and Shawn Jacobs like this.
  9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Z1 Dashboard is meant to be used with Z1 LCD Screen or you can buy cheap(40-100 usd) monitor from Made in China. You can also use Z1 server with your old laptop which is a great option.
    I am using Z1 Dashboard with cheap LCD screen from China and it is working great with DX11 beta also.

;)

10. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Yeah it is originally designed for that, but you gotta think outside the box man, didn't feel like spending $100 on another screen, and no space to put a laptop on my rig so this works as a bloody excellent alternative :)

11. ramiboo

ramiboo Registered

sorry to hi-jack the thread, but my Z1 Dash app keeps closing after a a lap or so of P1 24h endurance practice. I'm pretty new to rFactor so wondering if there are any versions I should be sticking to and if anyone has had this issue? The logs don't give any real indication why.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My 'guess' would be some sort of time out setting on your tablet/phone. Check your settings to see if you can either disable or increase the time quiet apps are closed. Good luck.