Out of real time, stuttering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chuckyeager, May 27, 2017.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Got me with about 1.230 seconds! :)

2. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

you know i'm chuck Yeager... i've past Mach 10 since then :lol:

3. stonec

stonec Registered

The DX9 version doesn't run very well on modern hardware for lots of reasons. I doubt S397 spends even 1% optimizing DX9, I presume non-beta DX11 is only weeks away now.

4. Kwik

Kwik Registered

Check your temps when it starts to stutter.It might be getting to warm and then starts to throttle.

5. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Ok, so you prefer some smart nit-picking, eh ?
    Fell free to resolve your issue on your own, I got better things to do.

6. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

maybe it was a joke i didn(t undestand ?

7. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

I'm not joking, its even better than it was before i changed the keyboard. Its smooth i can't believe my eyes
    i have a good but not top of the charts system with intel 6600k no overcloking no water cooling, a MSI gtx970 that stay cool and quiet.

All this make me realise how complexe this sim is because, i have the impression that it was as smooth with my old install but not as precisely defined, i mean, i will certainly say silly things here because i have little clue about the technology but it seems to scale to the system.
    I mean it is not only that depending on your system you can have nicer picture but it seems that for the same FPS there are like more calculated physic keyframe and less interpolation. Which is good in term of adaptability or scaling but its not the same game depending on the system.
    All this must be obvious i don't know... i'm tired...

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@chuckyeager Physics is done in the same steps on all systems, only systems that can't run it in realtime will suffer as they go into slow motion while calculating (but still don't skip any steps).

However, more fluid and consistent FPS might help 'feel', and that may be what you're noticing.

9. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

ok ! good so maybe its only the graphic part that is interpolated to adapt when the loop struggle to complete between steps, that is it is as smooth but without the same level of résolution hence the feeling that there are more frequencies displayed now.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Correct. If you interpolate the physics depending on the system, then the only way to get the best lap times in an online race is to buy the best PC, which would be unfair to say the least.

11. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

So are you saying, that a more powerful system would lead to better laptimes under the same driving conditions compared to a slower pc. i thought physics is completely independent calculated. about which time-gap are we talk about then? and where is the line where the power has no effect to the laptimes? and is it measurable via frames per second? so which minimum fps is desired? does a 30 fps system generate slower laptimes than a 60 fps system?

12. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

meanwhile... i'm back to square one after a reboot... wasn't the keyboard... maybe atmospheric pressure...

13. stonec

stonec Registered

@Zeh Drei Peo No. I said IF you interpolate physics, lap times would depend on PC power. The common misconception is that rF2 physics rate somehow depends on the CPU, it doesn't.

Zeh Drei Peo likes this.
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I cannot tell how much is because driving itself or if something else is going on. However, I would affirm that in the end laptimes and consistency is affected under 50 fps. Above 70 fps I am much more competitive.

As I said I cannot tell if the effect is direct or indirect but a minimum performance is required to be competitive.

In any case I encourage you to do some 5-10 laps stints under different graphic settings. Unless your PC can handle everything to max, it shouldn't be difficult to get below 60 fps.

For some things it is better to get own conclusions than relying on others'

Zeh Drei Peo likes this.
  15. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

ah ok, than i read it wrong. now when we talk about cpu occupancy and stuff. i was wondering, if some of you guys have experience with force feedback drop outs (i know i should ask this in another thread) but... i have this old microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel. i know that there are issues with slow downs and heavy cpu load due to the fact that this wheel cant handle the high ffb rates. i use the option "use seperate thread" given in the controller.ini. this runs pretty nice, the cpu load is normal. but if i enter a race session, switch back to pit menu and head enter the track again, my ffb sometimes drops and i have no force on the wheel. pressing the "reset force feedback" button leads to get the ffb back on, but only after pressing the reset button a random amount of time. what causes those drop outs? i heard in older rfactor based games it was due to heavy overload... maybe you guys have an explanation for this?

16. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

with my older computer i was worrying if the low fps is the reason for my "not so splendid" laptimes. with my new machine and a nearly constant 60 fps and up, i can say, its my driving style which leads to bad laptimes :) mostly because i have problems with oversteering and using the engine brake instead of the real brakes.

17. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi, Chuck.
    I asked you for a couple of details, that would help to rectify your issue and you picked only one question (the one that was rather rhethorical btw.)

IMHO, rF2 DX9 is outdated, because as stonec already said, chances are close to zero, that there will be another DX9 update and there is a newer version available, that - despite being labelled as beta - has become very mature, performant and stable for most users.

That would have been one example, that could easily be verified or ruled out by using a monitoring tool like AIDA64, that can explicitly log any occurence of CPU throttling

Ok, now, that you provided one of the relevant details, that I asked for, this would have been issue #2 to verify.

The GTX970 is labelled being equipped with 4GB of RAM, but it has turned out, that only the first 3.5GB are performing as expected, but in the moment, that amount of RAM gets exceeded, the card becomes dog slow.
    This issue can easily be verified or disproven by using another monitoring tool like Afterburner, that has a live OSD, providing for example the actual memory usage of your GFX card.

As you can see, I was not joking at all.

Instead, I really wanted to help you out with your oddly behaving system, but you did not bother to reply to my serious questions, except for the rhethorical one.

Max

18. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

all right, i have an MSI M3 gaming Z170A motherboard, win 10 pro, intel 6600k proc, MSI 970GTX graph card
    got all the last chipset, raid/sata audio drivers from MSI site.

THe thing is ! it has worked during hours before having this ù;:^!:! problem, so my system can handle the game at full details except for shadows at high, so it cannot be temp related nor memory capacity.

I observed than when it shift to this shity slomo mode it takes far longer to load, its so correlated than now i know before loading the game that it will be in slowmo.

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The fact of getting longer loading times suggests your graphic settings being changed and shaders need being rebuilt. Could you make a backup copy of both player.json and config.ini and compare them with functional ones when it happens? Beware the files are saved to disk only after exiting rF2.

20. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

i didn't change anything between yesterday when it was working like a movie and the first boot of the day.
    it seems hardware/driver/win10 compatibility issue of some sort, i will try without a RAID 0 setup

I had a G25 wheel shifted (not centered) occurence also yesterday.
    I realised the G25 driver is win32 and for some reason the profiler icon disapeared and is loading once i start the game, wasn't like that before was loading with windows, this PC seems to behave like Christine the dangerous car, it will kill me :lol:

its haunted ! there's someone or something inside that is playing with my nerves until i've got an heart attack !

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017